Mercy

Mercy

A Story by ReadMyStuffs
"

A short story i wrote for english class :)

"

MERCY

She was at it yet again. Mama was in Pablo’s room. I could hear Pablo snivel through his solid wood bedroom door. I could hear Mama hush him, as she assured him everything was going to be alright. I could hear her while she told Pablo she just wanted to show him how much she loved him and how much she cared for him. I knew her words were empty and meaningless and perhaps so did Pablo.  Because despite her soothing words, Pablo continued to weep quietly.

 In my mind, I discerned what Mama was doing to Pablo as inappropriate. I knew this wasn’t the first time she touched Pablo. But in my heart, I knew Mama would by no means ever harm Pablo. She loved him, as she loved me.

My thoughts were interrupted with the clamour of Mama’s boyfriend, Carlos, entering the house. He swaggered into my room, roaring for Mama, demanding where she was. Though Carlos was more then 10 feet from me, I could still make out the distinct odour of vodka, cigarettes and urine. Before I could utter a word, Mama came into the room. She escorted Carlos by the arm to her bedroom, avoiding me all together, before shutting the door behind them both. I glowered, disgusted at Mama’s closed bedroom door across from my own. Her boyfriend was an anathema to me, a useless drunken reprobate.

I picked myself off of my bed, entering my brother’s room soundlessly. I found him, whimpering at the foot of his bed. He recoiled as I settled myself beside him, my arm unconsciously grazing his. “It’s okay Pablo, it’s me,” I whispered in a soft nature. He turned his tear stained face towards me. His large dark brown eyes filled with anguish. I embraced him, as his 5 year old body shook with silent sobs. I led him to the bathroom and let him shower before giving him unsoiled clothes to wear. I then wrote Mama a note which told her that Pablo and I went off to the park down the street.

Pablo and I left our rundown apartment, my hand in his, as we wended our way to the park. Finally arriving, I parked myself down on a bench as Pablo ran over to the swings. He sat down, grinning and began to pump his legs him back and forth and back and forth, propelling himself upwards. I smiled at how facile it was for Pablo to disport himself from the world and his troubles. Pablo had always adored the swing set, even at the tender age of just a couple months old. Perhaps it was the electrifying feeling you get as you soar upwards, into the clouds. And the terrifying yet thrilling sensation you get in the pit of your stomach as you fall back down to earth blindly, leaves you yearning for more. 

Lost in my own thoughts, I dug my heels into the sandy terrain beneath me. The boisterous noises of Brooklyn, New York filled my ears. When at last I glanced back at the swing set, I noticed Pablo had stopped swinging. He gazed with a vacant expression into the sand, a look of pain etched onto his juvenile face.

“Pablo?” I called whilst standing up. It was like he couldn’t hear me. I walked towards him cautiously, noticing the tears that rolled down his cheeks. I tapped Pablo’s shoulder. He crooked his neck towards my way, his eyes showing agony. It hurt him what Mama was doing to him, I had to make her stop.  I took Pablo’s hand and guided Pablo home. As soon as we got caught sight of our grimy apartment, Pablo began weeping.

“Please Ricky; take me back to the park! I don’t want Mama to love me anymore... Please! Her love hurts!” Pablo wailed as he tugged my arm back in the direction of the park. I promised him Mama wouldn’t “love” him anymore, that I’d protect him. Finally, after much persuasion, I was able to take Pablo back up to our dingy three bedroom apartment. When we entered, Mama was sitting by herself at the dinning table. She looked up at us and grinned affectionately.

“Dinner is ready boys. I want you two to go wash up.” She spoke as she began to set the table. Her imitation of the ‘Perfect Mother’ figure was a subterfuge. I told Pablo to go wash up before I approached Mama.

“Mama, can I have a word with you for a moment?” I enquired as I stood in front of her. Mama’s head bobbed up and down as she continued setting the table. “Mama… what you’re doing to Pablo is wrong and it’s hurting him.” I said firmly. Mama looked at me, her grin plummeting. I lost my composure, her iron stare hitting me like a speeding train, causing me to stumble awkwardly over my words. “I- if you don’t stop I-I will call the p-police,” I continued stammering. Mama’s face twisted in rage. I’d forgotten how much of an irascible person she was. She struck me across the face causing me to lose my stance. She towered over me, livid.

“Those b******s won’t do ANYTHING for you and your brother. I am your mother. Go ahead, call the police! I’ll find you. I am your Mama. Neither you nor Pablo will ever be able to escape me.” She kicked me with no contriteness before pulling on her flashy and tremendously high-priced coat. Pablo shuffled in, staring at me. I licked my wounds, as I held back tears endeavouring to put on a brave face for Pablo. “I’ll be back in an hour. Watch Pablo,” Mama said leaning down to kiss me, then Pablo. She smiled before leaving the apartment.

I stood up glancing at Pablo. Pablo came over and hugged me closely as tears threatened to fall from my eyes. And then I knew. Mama was right. She was ALWAYS going to find us, no matter what. Besides, Pablo would never be free of his pain. I took a hold of Pablo’s hand and led him to Mama’s bedroom.

“Pablo let’s play a game, okay?” I said with a fake dose of jubilance. Pablo nodded eagerly. I went to fetch a chair from the dinning room, assuring myself this was the only way. I placed the chair into Mama’s walk-in closet, under the clothes hung inside. Numbly, I hastily removed Mama’s pricy clothing exposing the shiny silver rod above, placing them softly on the floor. I attempted to swallow the enormous lump in my dry throat without success.

Pablo would never be free.

 “Ricky? What kind of game is this? When is it going to start?” Pablo asked impatient as I lifted my shirt, removing my belt. I gave Pablo a pained smile reaching up to ruffle his curly brown hair.

“This game is awesome. It’ll make Mama stop hurting you,” I assured. Pablo’s smile grew.

“Promise?” He asked his voice filled with trust.

“Promise,” I replied.

Mama would never quit. This is what needs to be done.

 I hoisted myself up onto the chair, reaching up to tie one side of the belt onto the silver rod. Then, I carefully wrapped the other side of the belt around Pablo’s neck before buckling it closed. I took in a shaky breath before instructing Pablo to jump.

I’m going to miss him dreadfully after he’s gone.

 “I love you,” I added as I kissed his forehead. Pablo grinned before jumping off the chair. I pushed the chair out of the way as Pablo‘s feet swung back and froth in front of me. And back and froth and back and forth. I glanced up at Pablo’s face. His visage began to twist into a pale blue hue as he clawed desperately at the belt clasped around his neck. Pablo gasped for air hungrily as he stared at me, pleading for help. I lowered my gaze. The display before me was unbearable to watch. After a few moments, Pablo was still.  I looked up again. Though my only brother was now deceased, I was oddly content.

Mama was wrong. Pablo was safe now.

© 2010 ReadMyStuffs


Author's Note

ReadMyStuffs
Thank you for reading it <3
thoughts and or comments would be appreciated :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wasn't going to read your work, mostly because of how you blatantly sent me a message, begging for reviews. That being said, I am glad that curiousity took over and I read through this story. A very gritty piece of work. I was not prepared for the ending. I was expecting the brother to kill the mother and run away. Well written.

N. Strong

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 22, 2010
Last Updated on March 22, 2010

Author

ReadMyStuffs
ReadMyStuffs

Toronto, YOUR FACE, Canada



About
Read my stuffs plez :3 more..

Writing
Jonah Jonah

A Story by ReadMyStuffs