Finding Luna Chapter 1 ~ That's the Spirit

Finding Luna Chapter 1 ~ That's the Spirit

A Chapter by merbear22
"

Our characters are introduced amidst a shower of bullets.

"
The two peeked out at the electric fence from their position on their stomachs behind a bush.
"C'mon, we're gonna miss our window." Henry said, nudging Scarlet's shoulder, earning him a glare.
"I can't believe I'm doing this." She huffed.
"C'mon, Scar, where's your sense of adventure?"
"This is not adventure; it's suicide. What happens if they catch us?"
"How about we just don't get caught." Henry looked up at the fence a few yards ahead of them and pulled his dark mask down over his face. "Are the circuits ready?" He inquired without taking his eyes off of the fence. Scarlet nodded, holding up the detonator in her hand. "Any patrollers?" Henry asked as he gripped the bolt cutters he was holding even tighter.
"It's clear."
"Alright, do it."
Scarlet secured her mask and pressed the button. Immediately, the circuit boxes above the fences burst in a show of flying sparks, and shortly after, an alarm blared to life accompanied by flashing red lights swirling all over the compound. They could hear the shouts of the patrollers not too far away.
"Go! Go!" Henry shouted, pushing himself to his feet. "Cover me!" The two abandoned their hiding spot and ran for the fence. Henry started cutting through the thick wire while Scarlet watched, uneasiness filling her body.
"Stop!" A computerized voice commanded. Scarlet whipped around in the direction of the voice to see a patroller in his all-black uniform, pointing a machine gun at them. Scarlet drew her pistol and shot first, sending a bullet straight through the soldier's hand, making him drop his weapon and wail in pain.
"Hurry up, Henry." She ordered, aiming at another patroller who had come around the corner.
"Trying," he responded through clenched teeth.
Four more troops came around the corner and stood with their guns ready. "Resistance is futile! Surrender now!" They commanded, their voices harsh and digitalized.
"Got it!" Henry exclaimed, and he pulled out the remaining wire, leaving a small gap in the fence.
He slipped through, followed by Scarlet. Bullets whizzed by their heads as they ran, ricocheting off of the fence wires. One shot grazed Scarlet's arm. She gasped in pain and slapped her hand over the cut.
"Scar!" Henry cried, turning back to her.
"Keep going!" Scarlet pushed Henry forward, and the two of them managed to escape into the thick forest behind the compound.

* * *

Gina woke up, startled by the blaring alarm and flashing red lights that had taken over the room. The people in the cots all around her had woken up as well and were clinging to their loved ones, trying to assess the reason for panic.
Gina pushed her silver bangs out of her eyes and hugged her teddy bear to her chest. She watched as the other inmates gathered together and wished she had someone to run to. However, she tried not to think about it too much, for fear that she would get too upset over it.
The patrollers suddenly burst into the room, guns at their hips. The warden of the compound, Orion, stepped forward with his chin up and his hands clasped behind his back. He was in the usual midnight-colored uniform, but lacked his combat mask.
His hooked nose, muscular build, and many scars made him unbearably intimidating, and Gina felt a shudder pass through her small body at the sight of him.
"There has been a small mishap," Orion began, his booming voice echoing off the concrete walls, "A pair of residents has escaped into the east forest. A scout team is searching for them as we speak, and I assure you, we shall bring them back within the hour."
Murmurs surfaced in the crowd, and worried glances flew from person to person. Gina looked over at the two empty cots across the room, a knot forming in her stomach.
"However," Orion continued, "We cannot allow this kind of thing to happen again. And, since the two fugitives came from this sector, I'd like you to tell me whom exactly the rebels are. Punishment is imminent for those who withhold information."
The room remained silent for a long time, though everyone knew who was missing. Gina herself had seen the two sneaking out dressed all in black - one with a gun and the other a backpack. Admittedly, however, she hadn't seen their faces.
A man in the back of the room slowly stood and said, "It was the carpenter boy. And the soldier girl, Scarlet." He snarled her name, clearly displaying a dislike for her. Gina had seen that man and the red-haired girl speaking many times, mostly on friendly terms. An odd sort of anger filled her chest as she witnessed the spectacle of his betrayal.
Orion scratched his chin thoughtfully for a moment, and then smiled. "Very well," He said, his trademark sneer reattaching itself to his face, "Thank you for your cooperation, sir." Orion turned to leave but as he exited, he gave an order to his lieutenant: "Kill them." Then he disappeared behind the steel doors of the bunker.
The patrollers stepped forward, brandishing their machine guns. And then the place was engulfed in ear-splitting shots and screams. Gina dove underneath her cot and covered her ears to block out the heart-wrenching sounds surrounding her.
An older woman swept Gina into her arms and tried to protect her. But as the woman ran, she suddenly pitched forward and landed face first on the concrete floor. When the woman went down, the back of Gina's head collided with the ground and her world went black.

* * *

Once they were sure they were out of sight, the fugitives stopped to take a breath. Scarlet flung off her mask and leaned against a tree, breathing heavily.
"Hey, you okay?" Henry approached her cautiously, pulling his mask up to reveal his concerned expression. "Oh god, Scar, you're bleeding." He reached out to touch her shoulder, but she shrugged him off.
"Relax, it's just a scratch." Scarlet tore off the cuff of her sleeve and tied it around her cut. "I don't think this was a good -"
Henry lunged at Scarlet and pulled her down behind some cover.
"What the hell, Henr -"
Henry reached out to cover Scarlet's mouth before she could finish and put a finger to his lips. Flashlight beams flew around the woods, accompanied by shouts and heavy footsteps.
Perspiration formed on Henry's brow and he could feel his hands begin to shake, which he tried his best to conceal in front of Scarlet. He watched her diligently, not knowing where else to look. Her dark eyes were fixed on the beams of light flitting about the woods as if she refused to look at him, and her breathing was quick and shallow; he could feel her breath on his palm. He involuntarily blushed at the feeling, but quickly shook himself out of it.
Once everything went quiet, Henry released her and they sat there in silence for a long moment before she finally spoke up.
"This thing we're looking for better be freaking worth it." She said, cautiously standing up.
"What, you don't trust me?" Henry smirked.
"Oh shut up," She playfully punched his shoulder, "Let's just actually find it, okay?"
"That's the spirit," Henry smiled, rubbing his sore shoulder, "Man, you've really got an arm on you, don't you."
"I didn't train for nothing, you know." Scarlet's seriousness quickly returned. "Let's just go."
"Right," Henry got to his feet and pulled his camera out of his backpack. "Let's do this thing."


© 2015 merbear22


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This reminds me of Gundam Wing, for some reason. It's good.

You use a little too much tell, not show, in places, but that's a minor point.
E.G.
"...he could feel his hands shake, which he tried to conceal from Scarlett...

Don't tell us he's hiding it, show us.
E.G.
"He felt his hands shaking and he half-turned away from Scarlett, gripping the handle of his gun tightly"
This allows the reader to draw their own conclusions, without forcing it down their throat. Still, I'd like to read more.
It had me hooked from the start and I like the suspense at the end.
Good job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

merbear22

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful. I will definitely take that into account. And I'm glad.. read more



Reviews

I love it. It is not a unimportant flow lifeless words. It builds up momentum and stay there

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

merbear22

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
This reminds me of Gundam Wing, for some reason. It's good.

You use a little too much tell, not show, in places, but that's a minor point.
E.G.
"...he could feel his hands shake, which he tried to conceal from Scarlett...

Don't tell us he's hiding it, show us.
E.G.
"He felt his hands shaking and he half-turned away from Scarlett, gripping the handle of his gun tightly"
This allows the reader to draw their own conclusions, without forcing it down their throat. Still, I'd like to read more.
It had me hooked from the start and I like the suspense at the end.
Good job.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

merbear22

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful. I will definitely take that into account. And I'm glad.. read more
Very good! I am excited about what comes next. I want to know what they are searching for. Thanks for sharing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

merbear22

8 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it, and there will be more to come soon.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2015
Last Updated on June 9, 2015
Tags: chapter one, beginning, escape, massacre


Author

merbear22
merbear22

PA



About
Hey, I'm Meri. :) In short, I'm a geek. Not gonna lie. I've always loved to read stories. Especially everything exciting and soul-wrenching. ;P You know, fighting, romance, betrayal, the fun stu.. more..

Writing