Appalachia

Appalachia

A Story by selenasaur
"

a story of my travels to Asheville, North Carolina

"

The vast open mountains welcome me as the pink sunset peers through.  I am breathing Appalachian air. Just this moment makes the eight hour car ride worthwhile. Soon, we cruise on down to the city of Asheville. Our final destination.

My trips to Asheville, North Carolina are the peaks of my summers. They've changed me and shaped who I am today. It is a colorful and lively place to say the least.  When you walk through the city you will see people with dreadlocks, barefooted, and homemade jewelry.  People sitting on the pavement playing their instruments solely for the pedestrians enjoyment. Although, more times than not they are collecting money. People displaying their artwork and selling their crafts that are completely their own. Most of all, people dancing.

The first time I traveled there, I went with my mom and my younger sister. We stayed at my aunt's house. A hundred year old log cabin. Upon our arrival, we stopped at her house, unloaded the car, and headed straight downtown. Into the drumcircle we went.  To this day and at that moment everything seemed to be happening in slowmotion. Everyone jumped, laughed, danced, and spun all as one. The drums made a deep booming sound that flooded my ears and tickled my heart. The entire crowd came to be one coexisting cluster of life.

On the remaining days of our visit we went to all of the weekly art festivals and continuously listened to music unique to Asheville's culture. We drove an hour entirely uphill through a mountain to a Cherokee reservation where they taught us the tales of the tribe's past. We square-danced in a barn with the people born and raised in the mountains.  And my favorite part was our day spent at Dupont State Park at Bridal Veil Falls. We trekked up to this breath-taking waterfall and swam under, around, and on top of the falls.  We picnicked and just enjoyed nature listening to the non-stop sound of rushing water, breathing fresh air.

This wild place has inspired me. Inspiration to be louder, more colorful. Most importantly to always be happy with what I have now and to spread peace. This is because I have learned about different cultures and in Asheville many cultures all live together in harmony. Now that I am entering college I plan to go back there to go to school. I am attached to this place. It is where my soul has resided.

© 2011 selenasaur


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on August 3, 2011
Last Updated on August 3, 2011

Author

selenasaur
selenasaur

Pittsburgh, PA



About
info to come more..

Writing