Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Jessica

Emma's duties as a maid pretty much only covered things connected to Burke himself. She didn't have to do things like scrub the floors or wash the dishes. Her job was to serve him his dinner, wash his clothes, make his bed, fetch whatever he wanted, and draw his bath and wash his back. Nothing too strenuous.

He didn't hit her constantly as she had feared. Only like every other day if he felt she deserved it. Sometimes he went as much as four days with inflicting pain on her. In the month that Emma had been under his care, she had been whipped numerous times but not once did she ever cry out in pain. It was a point of pride for her.

Though she kept scheming, she hadn't figured out a way to win him over.

One day as she lay on her bed missing home and her father, and everything connected, Gwen bustled into her bedroom carrying some dark green fabric.

Emma sat up in curiosity. "What's that Gwen?"

"It's something for you to wear while riding."

"But I don't ride."

"Burke is going to teach you. Put these on and go out to the stables." she said and pulled Emma up from her bed.

"But-"

"I've got a busy day, dear. Either cooperate with me or ride in the buff. The choice in entirely yours." As she spoke she was pulling Emma's dress over her head.

In nothing flat she was stripped of her dress and then pushed and pulled into dark green boys breeches and a rough green chambray shirt. Then Emma was pushed out the door for a riding lesson with Burke.

She walked into the stable, noticed the stable hands snaking furitive glabces at her in the boys clothing. She held her head high and ignored them.

She found Burke near the back of the stable in the stall of a huge black stallion. She'd never ridden a horse before but she knew the breeds. This towering horse was a Belgain. His hooves were easily as big as her head and his black main and tail fell in waves, the light glinting off of it. It was beautiful horseflesh.

She turned to Burke. "I'm not riding that, my lord."

"Don't worry. Beast here, is for me to ride. You'll be riding Beauty. She's a more placide appaloosa mare." He reached up and patted Beast on the neck. " These two get along wonderfully, so you'll be fine."

Emma tentatively reached out her hand the towering stallion. He snorted and brought his head closer and let her smooth her hand over his snout.

"Ah, Mistress Emma, he likes you."

She turned to face Burke, "Why is it neccessary for me to learn to ride? I'm your maid. I have no need to learn to ride."

"I require everyone on my premises to know how to ride. In case something happens and you need a quick escape. Just a precaution." He turned and walked towards another stall, and she followed.

Inside this stall was a dark brown mare with white black and light brown spots. Emma guessed this was Beauty seeing as how she was beutiful and Burke had said appaloosa.

"She's wonderful,..."She sighed wistfully.

"I'm glad you approve, because she's yours now."

She jerked out of her reverie. "What?!"

He smiled slightly behind the mask. "She's yours Mistress Emma. I give a horse to all my staff."

Emma was shocked. Such a generous gift from this man? She didn't want to believe it. She had to maintain that he was bad, through and through. But it was hard when he showed her that he was human. It was easier to think of him as a heartless monster feeding on her pain. She wanted to keep up that image. But it was so hard.

"Surprised, Mistress Emma?"

She jumped, startled out of her thoughts. "About what? My Lord."

"That I would give anyone a gift?"

She blinked. "Of-of course not."

She felt like he was lauging at her but he didn't say anything.

<~<~<

"You're a natural, Mistres Emma." Burke said from a few feet over sitting astride Beast.

She lifted her hand from the reins in acknowledgement but quickly shifted her concentration back to not falling.

Once she stopped feeling like she was about to fall to the ground and break something, she relaxed in her saddle, and she actually felt like she had been riding all her life. It was a smooth rythm. As easy as walking. And she had an instant connection with Beauty. She couldn't help but be grateful he had given her such a wonderful present. Damn him.

It was June, so it was rather warm out. The ground was dry and dusty and the grass was turning brown.

Emma was feeling bold, so she decided she could handle taking Beauty into a lope across a field full of wildflowers.

The wind was rushing past her hair, pulling her hair loose of the prim bun she had put her hair in. There was a bare spot in the field up ahead.

Suddenly, as if in slow motion, from the back of Beauty, she watched a snake slither across her path.

All of a sudden Beauty was rearing up and Emma was thrown from her back. She landed hard on her back.

She both heard and felt the thud of her impact. The pain was instant.

She lifted her head barely to see Beauty galloping off into the trees.

She dropped her head back to the ground and instantly lost consiousness.


© 2010 Jessica


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
a
Great chapt.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
1 Review
Added on December 17, 2010
Last Updated on December 17, 2010
Tags: stay gold, chapter


Author

Jessica
Jessica

Springfield, OR



About
As you can see, My name is Jessica, But just call me Jessie. It's less formal :) So, what can I say? I like to write, I'm a clutz, I can't walk across a flat surface without finding something to trip .. more..

Writing
Back to Life Back to Life

A Chapter by Jessica


Ripple Effect Ripple Effect

A Chapter by Jessica