Chapter Three

Chapter Three

A Chapter by Marcel Brackston
"

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. -Albert Pike

"

chapter three


Today was the day. The last time I would see my grandmother. Today was her funeral. It was a mixture of emotions. I wanted to cry, but I could not. Most people say seeing the body makes you realize that they are really gone.

            Therefore all of the family was getting ready for the funeral. There was a speck of black in everyone’s outfit.

We were having Grandma’s funeral at our family church, Hope and Faith Baptist Church. Our pastor, Bishop Sterling Johnson, are good friends with us Moreland family. Mom said he will be officiating the funeral.

            The funeral starts at two o’clock p.m., and it is one-fourteen. The limos will be here in one minute. Carter and I yelled from the living room, “The limos are here!”

            Everyone"me, Carter, Vince, Mom, Uncle Cam, Uncle Morgan, Aunt Kat, and others"all walked out of the house to catch the limousines. When I walked out the door first, the limos swerved right around the corner. They parked in the middle of the road, and Bishop Johnson trotted out of the first of three limos, sponsored by Anton Funeral Services.

            He greeted all of us and it took him about ten to fifteen minutes because the whole family was there. He recognized most of us because we were members of his church like Mom, Uncle Cam, Carter, and I. But when he came to us four, he hugged us tightly and said, “So sorry about your lost. But over time, the grace of God will make it better over time.”

            He led us into prayer before we got into the limousines, because Mom told me that was what you were supposed to do. I did not know that because I never really paid any attention to it. Once the “Amen” came out of everyone’s mouths, Bishop Johnson told us the order of how he wanted us to go into the limo and funeral.

            Bishop declared, ”This is the order I would like you to walk into the limo and funeral. If you do not have a spot in the limo, you have to find your own transportation there. First, the children of Ms. Hope Moreland, Camden and Cameron Moreland”

            Mama and Uncle Cam went into the limo first.

            “Now, the grandchildren of Ms. Hope Moreland, Jonah Blake and Carter Moreland.”

            Carter and I both walked over and hopped into the limo, and listened of who would be in the next limo.

            “In the second limo, siblings and in-laws of Ms. Hope Moreland, Katarina Delauriers and husband, Aaron Delauriers. Morgan Moreland and wife, Bobbie Moreland. Darrie Lee Saran, and husband Johnathan Saran”

            Aunt Kat, Uncle Aaron, Uncle Morgan, Aunt Bobbie, Aunt Darrie Lee, and Uncle Johnny all went into the second limo.  

            “In the third limo,” Bishop Johnson continued,” are nephews, nieces, great-nephews, and great-nieces of Ms. Hope Moreland. Darrie Lee, Darien, and Mariah Saran, Cassandra Delauriers, Vincent Parson and others.”

            Everyone tried to pile into the last limo, but some were not that lucky and had to find their own way to the church.

            When we were on our way to the church, Carter asked, “Daddy, where is Keaton and Mom?”

            “They are running a little late since they were at the high school, but they should be here by the time the funeral starts,” Uncle Cam responded.

            Keaton is Carter’s older sister. She is in eighth-grade at Dalton Hills Middle School in Kentucky. Aunt Melanie is Carter’s mom. Melanie and Keaton were visiting Willow Lane High School, since Uncle Cam, Carter, Aunt Mel, and Keaton would be moving here after the school year is over with, and were also going to go to Six Flags Over Georgia for the day, but then they found out that Grandma died so they are going to meet us there at the church.

            After Uncle Cam responded to Carter’s question, I remembered that I didn’t text my dad could he come to Grandma’s funeral. Out of Poppa’s, Grandma’s daddy now five deceased children of eight, he has gone to almost everyone’s funeral. He went to Aunt Mari’s three years ago. He also went to Uncle Darien’s. My mama even said he went to Aunt Kara’s about two months before I was born, and Uncle Vic’s eighteen years ago.

            Thus, I pulled out my phone and texted him, “Daddy, could you come to Grandma’s funeral today in like thirty minutes?” Then I put my phone back in my trousers.

We finally reached Hope and Faith Baptist Church. I looked at my phone, and saw that my daddy did not text me back. I guess he was not coming to her funeral.

When the limo driver opened our door, Carter and I saw Keaton and Aunt Melanie getting out of her Jeep. They ran over to us and we informed them of where to get in line.

It was one fifty-five p.m., and the funeral started at one p.m. So, to past time, we all got into place to enter the church, and the order was mostly off age of each set of generations. First, it was Uncle Cam, since he was the first-born, and Aunt Melanie was behind him. Then, it was Mom. Next, it was Keaton, me, then Carter.

 Next, were her siblings. Even though Uncle Morgan is the fourth of eight children, he is the oldest living one, so he was after Carter. Then, it was Aunt Bobbie. Next were Aunt Kat and Uncle Aaron. Last sibling was Aunt Darrie Lee and Uncle Johnny. Furthermore, lastly in the line were Cassandra, Mariah, Darrie Lee, Vince, and Darien. They were also sorted by age from nineteen-year old Cassandra Delauriers to nine-year old Darien Saran.

Finally, it was two o’ clock. It was all real now. It was time to walk in. We all walked in slowly into the church. When my body was on church ground, I saw the three people who would help me through this tragedy. Those people were my daddy, my best friend, and my wonderful girlfriend. They were all sitting beside each other. I looked to the right of the church, and I saw Micah. She wore a simple black dress that looked pretty on her.

I looked straight ahead again and I saw Grandma’s body in the casket. Seeing her right there, I just wanted to run away and wake up from this nightmare! When Keaton walked away from the casket, tearing up, it was time for me to see her. I walked up and just instantly burst into tears with Carter. Uncle Cam and Mom came up with us and guided us to the seats. Before Mom guided me away from her, I held Grandma’s hand. That was the last time I would see her and interact with her. I also whispered, “Love you, Grandma.” Then, Aunt Mel, Uncle Cam, Keaton, Mom, Carter, and I sat down in the first row seats.

When we sat down, Keaton was still lachrymose so I held her hand to comfort her more. Next,  Kahlar stood up from the few rows she was behind us. I did not know what she was doing.

            She looked at me and I mouthed to her, “What are you doing?”

            She mouthed back, “Don’t worry.”

            She stepped beside the podium and Bishop Johnson gave her a microphone. She was going to sing at Grandma’s funeral. I was happy because she can sing.

Before she started, she said, “When I first met Ms. Hope, she said she wanted a song to be sung at her funeral that was either a gospel homegoing song or a real song about death. I do not why she was talking about that but I guess she wanted me to sing at her funeral. Could you believe she told Jonah and me this two months ago like she knew what would happen?”

Everyone laughed and I also smiled. I remembered that moment when I introduced Kahlar to the family.  I introduced her to Grandma first, she instantly liked her when she heard her sing.

I stood up and spoke, “She told me, ‘Jonah, Kahlar is a good girl. Don’t you ever let go of her. Those girls come once in a lifetime.’

But, Kahlar continued, “Therefore, I’m going to sing I Was Here by Beyonce.”

Once she started to sing and everyone heard the lyrics, everyone just began to cry. Keaton let go of my hand and whispered to me while she was crying, “I’m going to sit by Dad.”

She turned around and whispered to Mom, “Umm, Aunt Cam, can I sit by Dad?”

Mom nodded and scooted over while Keaton got up and sat by Uncle Cam. She instantly fell into his arms, and started to cry hysterically. Uncle Cam rested his head on hers, and began to cry also. Aunt Melanie was patting her hand on Uncle Cam’s back, while she was fanning her eyes with the program so she could keep her tears in.

Once Kahlar was finished, everyone gave her a standing ovation. Bishop Johnson talked to everyone for a few minutes, and he let Kahlar sing another song.

It just brought me to tears that my girlfriend was singing at my grandmother’s funeral. They got along great and she is going to miss her as much as I will. I started to cry too. I looked over at Keaton and saw that she was still in Uncle Cam’s arms.

Once Kahlar was finished with her second song, she got another standing ovation and came and sat beside me, holding my hand. Bishop Johnson told us that that it was time to read Grandma’s obituary silently for three minutes. I did not think I had the bravery to open the program, but I managed to get some courage and opened the program.


Homegoing Celebration

For

Hope Moreland

Sunrise  Sunset

January 8, 1952                         February 14, 2013


Bishop Sterling Johnson

Officiating




Obituary

 

Ms. Hope Moreland began life's journey on January 8, 1952 in Anton County of Anton, Georgia. She was the fourth oldest of eight children born to the late Barry and Mamie Moreland.

 

At an early age, Hope confessed Christ as her personal Lord and Savior. Hope spent most of her adult life in Anton, Georgia.

People would describe Hope as a kind, pleasing, prideful, and wise woman. She attended school in Anton, State, and Bark County.

During the course of her life, Hope worked for 26 years at Department of Human Resources, touching and helping many lives along the way.

In the summer of 1983, Hope was close to marrying the love of her life, James Ray Townsend, but didn’t have the chance to him dying in a fatal car crash.

Hope was able to spend most of her elderly years with her loving family. Her presence will be greatly missed by her dear family. On Thursday, February 14, 2013, at her home, God at His special way, at His perfect time, picked from our midst this beautiful rose Hope, and added her to His heavenly garden where her spirit will bloom forever. 

Memories of Hope will be forever cherished in the hearts of her children: Cameron (Melanie) Moreland and Camden Moreland; grandchildren: Keaton and Carter Moreland, Jonah Blake all of Anton, GA; siblings: Morgan (Bobbie) Moreland of Anton, GA, Katarina (Aaron) Delauriers and Darrie Lee (Johnathan) Saran of Anniston, Alabama; special great-niece: Cassandra Delauriers for always being there to help and entertain; and a host of nieces, nephews, cousins, other relatives, and friends.       


Reading her obituary just made me sorrowful. I started to tear up, and Kahlar grabbed my hand, and I grabbed back. I loved Grandma, and I just cannot imagine life without her.

Once the three minutes to read the obituary were over, Bishop Johnson told everyone that expressions were about to begin. Carter and I were supposed to start, so we walked up to the Bishop and took the microphone. As a result, we walked to the podium.

Carter started, “So, hey everybody?”

Carter’s Southern hospitality made him look like a dunce. More than less.

He continued, “Hence this tragedy, we have a few words to share about Grandma.”

I stated, “Grandma was such a fun, elderly person. Isn’t our whole family is? I remember every time I made the all-A Honor Roll, she would give me thirty dollars and say, ‘Save it up, baby, so you can buy ya some candy.’ I would say, ‘Grandma, I’m trying to get a new phone,’ and she would just nod like crazy. And she made all of us"me, Carter, Keaton, Cassie, Mariah, Darrie Lee, Darien, and Vince"eat fish every Friday night, because she always bought fish from Freddie the Fish Man!”

Everyone laughed and then Carter continued for me, “But overall, Grandma was the best grandma ever. She always gave wise advice for our social problems by telling us, ‘Honey, I’ve been twelve and thirteen before. You don’t have to tell me.’ I will never forget her big glasses! They were like two magnifying glasses! But all we wanted to say was that we loved Grandma from the bottom of our heart and above. Rest in peace and tell everyone we said ‘Hey!’

Everyone clapped while we went back to our seats.

Kahlar whispered to us, “Jonah. Carter. Guys, that was great!”

Both of us said thank you, and Kahlar put her hand on my leg and rested her head on my shoulder. Just then, Keaton was getting ready to express her feelings towards Grandma. Suddenly, my phone started to ring silently in my trousers. I knew because I heard my “Tuscan Leather” ringtone by Drake. Kahlar and Carter looked at me. Mom looked at me and gently jerked her head back to symbolize to go to the back and out the front door. Thus I did what I was told and headed to the back and out the door of the church. I was just happy that it did not ring at full volume.

I took the call before the person hung up. I said, “Hello?”

The person responded, “Hello. I am from the Providence Memorial Hospital. I’m Jack Owens, who helped the transportation of the deceased body of Hope Faith Moreland. Is this Jonah Blake?”

“Yes, this is him.”

“Well, we have took an autopsy report. It would be hard for Ms. Hope Moreland to puncture her aorta from the back, where the stab wound was hidden. I know this is hard to say due to the tragedy already, but Ms. Moreland was murdered. *seconds passing* Hello?”

I did not say anything. It was so much silence that Jack said, “I am sorry,” and hung up. I could not believe it. My grandma was murdered. It was a murder.



© 2013 Marcel Brackston


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on October 26, 2013
Last Updated on October 26, 2013


Author

Marcel Brackston
Marcel Brackston

Douglasville, GA



About
Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase. -Martin Luther King Jr. I'm THAT seventh grader at my school, Chapel Hill Middle School ! My life > yours everyday. Nob.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Marcel Brackston