Detached

Detached

A Story by Shadi El Asaad
"

Story-related to Psychosis Hypnosis

"

Thin layers of mist were dominating the landscape, erasing any details you would otherwise see.
“I don’t believe it would be wise for us to go there”, he stuttered, my father.
A flock flapped in the distance.
We were looking at the empty void in front of us which once used to be a busy road, not anymore.
Oddly enough, the street lamps were not functioning quite right this night, some of them were flickering, others were just off.

The mist slowly faded. From within, a cloaked figure appeared. My eyes blinking almost in sync with the street lamps.
We froze, stood still and watched as he was approaching us.
As he got closer and closer, I started to make out the details.
In the place where its face should have been, there was nothing but blackness, a black hole, vantablack, matching the sky.

I noticed he was holding a heart, supposedly a human heart, and that heart was still beating vigorously, as if longing return to its rightful body. You can also tell that the heart was snatched without consent, it was too restless, unease, like a frog in a child’s hands.

“Immolatum in nomine eius diabolus.”
It wasn’t the cloaked man who said that, it couldn’t be, the voice was too loud, and seemed to be omnidirectional.
Something, metaphysical, transcending the barriers, something godly.

Nevertheless, a subtle human reflex, I looked around me, found that we were standing on a 4-way intersection.
“nos, purga animam tuam”
Three more cloaked figures were patiently approaching us as well, three more beating hearts in their hands.
The voices were getting louder,
“nos, purga animam tuam”

I wasn’t scared, I knew exactly why they were here.
“We should head home, son. Now!”
I awkwardly grinned at him, grabbed my knife and swiftly dashed it into his chest, carved a fist-sized hole, and forcefully ripped his heart out, nurturing it in my arms like my own baby, I smiled down at it.
The knife took on a life of its own, it was controlling me.

All of a sudden, in a single flash, the empty void in front of me wasn’t so… empty. The four men were gone.
It was all merely an illusion, reality over-injected with their hallucinations, false verisimilitude. In fact, the city was an active beehive as of now.
The birds were back.
Apparently, I was back in reality, everything normal, except, my father wasn’t with me, I was still cradling his heart, and smiling.

© 2016 Shadi El Asaad


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Is it something like Oedipus Complex? !!!!
Or did i misunderstand the subject ?
That was very catchy and well written....

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
1 Review
Added on September 7, 2016
Last Updated on September 7, 2016
Tags: Fiction, Insanity, Murder, Schizophrenia, Short Tale, Mental Disorder

Author

Shadi El Asaad
Shadi El Asaad

Tyre, South Lebanon, Lebanon



About
Intrigued by the odds and ends of space; admirer of chaos. Constructive criticism is much appreciated. more..

Writing