Father of Inspiration

Father of Inspiration

A Story by Ashwin Shanker

“This is the last time I am calling to follow up, Prakash. If I don’t see the composition in my inbox by afternoon tomorrow, I will consider the deal cancelled. You may keep the advance if you like. Bye.”

  

Prakash held the receiver loosely by his right ear, letting everything flow through his left. Film Producer Kalanidhi was strict with deadlines, and Prakash knew that if the deal doesn’t fall through, he would have to hunt for a routine 9-5 job, as this will be his last stint as a composer. There were bills to be paid and in the war between passion and practical needs, he refused to let passion lose.

It had been a month of inspiration hunting, but every time he turned the knob, not a drop of inspiration fell. He listened to Mozart, Beethoven, Rahman and every other legend that he worshipped, but their blessings didn’t seem to reach him either. Now he was running out of time; his head had started to ache. As he gulped down an analgesic, he wished there was a pill for creativity as well.


Prakash looked outside his studio window. It was late evening, yet the humidity of his city made him wish there was room for a human being inside his refrigerator. ‘It is early June, where are the clouds hiding?’ he thought as he scanned the darkening sky.


The analgesic was working, he felt drowsy. Praying one last time to his idols, he switched off the studio systems and rested his head on the table.


It was the thunder that woke him up. He looked outside the window and saw that the clouds had finally arrived and were showering upon one and all in the city. ‘Thank God’ he thought groggily. The leaves danced as the raindrops hopped over them. The trees swayed in celebration as the winds nudged them to do a jig or two.  

Prakash descended the staircase of his studio so that he could get a whiff of the earth that had just been graced by the showers from above. Children danced in glee; Prakash felt a strong urge to undress and join them. For a moment, he felt that he was free from deadlines, free from money constraints, free from everything else bothering him; it was just this moment that mattered.

The sound of the drops of water hitting the asbestos rooftop at the adjacent building had a distinctive and continuous rhythm. This combined with the sound of the leaves, and the shouts of joy from the children ignited the spark that Prakash was searching for. He ran upstairs and switched his studio systems back on.



“Brilliant. Absolutely Brilliant. I don’t care which Korean song you jacked this rhythm from, but I loved it!” Kalanidhi agreed to clear the rest of the payment within a week; Prakash let out a sigh of relief.

Inspiration is simply a gift from nature, for all those willing to listen; Prakash learned.


The End           


© 2017 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
Creativity is at its best when we are living in the moment.

Hope you all liked the story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

*Claps*
Your writing: I have always learnt from it and it motivates me much!
Thank you. The last line was something I needed few days back though, to start over. But it has inspired me more now, even.
Sometimes you have to break all the walls around you and have to do it. Just do it. And if you can't do that, can't break the walls because you've no power left, you still have wings to fly up and cross those hurdles you'll come across every now and then.
Just a little inspiration is all what you need. And you learn (if you want too XD ) . :)


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Beauty. Your reviews inspires me to write better too.
Ghania

6 Years Ago

You're welcome. And thank you very much for the compliment. :)
Stay Blessed.



Reviews

Such a beautiful story and the choice of words and its flow made my imagination run at its best. Keep up the good work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Wow! this definitely had an inspirational energy to it. Well done!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Your review helps me write better
emipoemi

6 Years Ago

Do you expect me to critique? I can go all out, if you really want me to. Do you value my opinion an.. read more
This encouraged me. I love how you laid out something for the reader to think about. Personally this made me reflect a bit. I love it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Graham
*Claps*
Your writing: I have always learnt from it and it motivates me much!
Thank you. The last line was something I needed few days back though, to start over. But it has inspired me more now, even.
Sometimes you have to break all the walls around you and have to do it. Just do it. And if you can't do that, can't break the walls because you've no power left, you still have wings to fly up and cross those hurdles you'll come across every now and then.
Just a little inspiration is all what you need. And you learn (if you want too XD ) . :)


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Beauty. Your reviews inspires me to write better too.
Ghania

6 Years Ago

You're welcome. And thank you very much for the compliment. :)
Stay Blessed.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 4, 2017
Last Updated on November 4, 2017
Tags: inspiration, father, rain, shortstory, creativity

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..