The Insomniac

The Insomniac

A Story by Ashwin Shanker
"

What will you dream, when you can't sleep?

"

Joseph loved to dream, but he had a tough time falling asleep each night.


He would lie wide awake, looking at the white ceiling above him. He stared at the pattern of fading colour. He kept staring, night after night, till he noticed cracks appear, and then widen. Sometimes he stared till the first rays of dawn. He gave up alcohol and caffeine, tried podcasts and endless hours of hypnotism tracks, even rubbed his belly in circular motions. Nothing worked.
One night he thought of a simple idea - running up and down the fire escape stairs of his building till he exhausted himself to sleep.

He started running up the stairs in his shorts and vest.  Though it was midnight, a crowd had gathered near the terrace door, looking for a burglar who had just run out from the fire exit. Within seconds, they chased after him; and at the blink of an eye, he slipped, fell through one of the windows, and lay fallen to the cemented pavement.


Joseph loved dreaming, because it never dawned until he opened his eyes in shock, only to realise a dream that simply never was.


The ceiling above was uniform & spotless.

© 2017 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
Do Comment on what you liked and what can be improved.

Word count: 200 words (exact)

Cheers

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this story. I liked the surprise ending. You did very well with this tale. Thank you Ashwin for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


I'm amazed at how much depth you can put into something only 200 words in length. It keeps it short and sweet but you feel like you just read an entire story. Good Job!I am only working on a book right now, but I'll give you a request to read more of you stories sometime!

Posted 6 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Excellent! loved the twist!!
truly enjoyed reading this.. Thanks for sharing
well done !

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Sansrity
Unexpected brilliance :) I never saw that coming, partly because of the dream like manner this is told in also :) Pulled at my heart and left a mark, awesome :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Poppy
Brilliant plot twist at the end. Amazing story in exact 200 words. 👌👌👌👌👌

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Anjali :D.. Thrilled and Glad.
Super twisty write Ashwin.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Tony
omg this was AMAZING !!!
i always love it when the plots are tied together in a story. it gives an organised outlook to the story itself. you wrote this in a very nice way.
kept me involved the whole time.
a little suggestion would be
to
1. add more details to the part where hes running up the stairs. give more imagery so a reader can feel as if they r there in that scene. how did he manage to fall out a window. a lil bit of spoon feeding so as to visualize it so that it leaves an impact.
2.'He started running up the stairs in his shorts and vest itself'
the word ' itself' is unnecessary. 'He started running up and down the stairs wearing his shorts and his vest'

hope this could help
i really enjoyed the dept in this story
well done !!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

There was a word limit of 200 words so I was a bit crunched on where I can provide details and where.. read more
Whoa!
"Joseph loved dreaming, because it never dawned until he opened his eyes in shock, only to realize a dream that simply never was."

Interesting plot!! *claps*
I wonder if I will ever be able to like twists like that? Lol.
Best wishes! :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ghania

6 Years Ago

Actually, I love reading plot with twists. But I haven't come up with one. Ha ha. Still waiting. Tho.. read more
Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

U should find time for it. No excuses
Ghania

6 Years Ago

Oh, Thanks!! Will do. *No excuses* :)
I must say

Faaaaduuuuuuu ;)

The way you had centered this and glued this till the end
Mesmerizing!

:D
KEEP IT UP

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Glad to know that you loved it Pragati.
cool story. I like the twist.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you Kaylee for the review. glad you liked it

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

524 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 21, 2017
Last Updated on October 2, 2017

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Promise Me Promise Me

A Chapter by Dr. YumnaKay