Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Shannon Leigh
"

Let's go to the market.

"

Chapter 2

 

“Ian, when are you going to come see me, it’s been forever!” Ian sighed as he twisted the cord of the phone around his finger. Corded phones, how old, we really should update. I was sitting in my room clutching the phone to my ear and peering out my bedroom door so I could see Ian.

“Mother, it’s a been a year. Calm down, you know I can’t leave her right now. Not for long anyway.” I’ve heard that eavesdropping was bad but then again I’m sure most of the people who told me that had done it a few times in their lives. “I promise once Amara is more stable I’ll come down.”

“You could always bring her along.”

“I’m not so sure about that. It might be too much of a push for her.”

“Maybe she needs a push, like you said if she can force herself to change then she can live again.” Ian sighed again.

“It’s not that simple mother. If it were, Jasper would have changed her in the ten years he lived with her.”

“Maybe he wasn’t trying Ian. He did have you care for her most of the time. The only thing he really did was �"“

“Mother please, don’t start. I need to go anyway, today Amara and I are going to the farmers market.” We always go to the farmer’s market on Sundays.

“Okay dear, but please, will you talk to her about coming to see me? Maybe you could find Jasper and �"“

“ �" Mother,” Ian said exasperated.

“Just try Ian, I haven’t seen my child in a year! If you don’t do something, I am going to come down there and stick myself right in the middle of your life.” What an odd threat, my mother had never said anything like that. Although, after I was cursed my mother didn’t really want much to do with me. A daughter that would always look 22, not the best thing for a women constantly concerned with the look of her crows feet. Needless to say I hadn’t talked to my mother in years, about seven actually.

“Right, bye mom, love you.” I hung up the phone before Ian could know I was on it and walked out of my room. “Ah, Amara there you are, I just got off the phone with mother. Are you ready to go to the market?” I nodded and grabbed my sweater from the rack by the door. It was mid-spring and I was still waiting for the weather to warm up, though I must say I did enjoy the way I looked in cardigans.

“How is Elaine?” I asked grabbing my bag and walking up to Ian and looping my arm with his. His shirt was still untucked under his light blue sweater, which brought out the blue flecks in his mostly silver eyes.

“She’s fine, wanting me to go visit but I can’t leave you beautiful.” He said leaning down and kissing my forehead. I nodded and bit the inside of my cheek.  We walked out to the car together. I was sitting silently thinking about how much of a bother I must be to Ian. Maybe I would let him go out; maybe I could even go with. I could just see what would happen.

“Ready?” Ian asked stopping the car.

I looked over at him and saw that we had arrived at the farmer’s market. I always love going here, all the fresh food, organic a lot of it. It’s the main place that I get my groceries.

Ian and I got out of the car and started walking around. I wasn’t sure what all we needed, that is Ian’s job; it always has been.

I went to look over at the different fruits they had out, there were always many different brands and types. It was fun to look at them; though, I would never pick any of them out. I never picked out what food we were going to get. Like I said, that’s Ian’s job, he knew what I liked and knew not to pick something new.

“Would you like to try that?” A man asked next to me. I looked up from the fruit I was holding, a spiky orange thing. The man’s eyes were violet; I’ve never seen anyone with those before.

“Umm…” I wasn’t sure what to say, what had he said to me? Something about, oh right, trying the fruit. “No, I’m um, not hungry.”

“Oh, well you don’t need to be hungry to try a piece. Just here,” He had begun to cut open the orange fruit but I put my hand over his.

“Really, I don’t want any. I was only observing the fruit.” He looked at me with his purple eyes and I felt myself smile. “I’m not one for trying new things.” I found the humor in the words and I knew Ian would have too but he wasn’t here.

“Oh, well maybe you could try something, just this once.” He was very close to my face. I could smell his breath, peppermint; I had always liked peppermint.

I opened my mouth to talk but a voice spoke before mine could. “Didn’t you hear her, she doesn’t want any.” It was Ian; I hadn’t even noticed that he had appeared, sneaky kid. Ian had wrapped his arm possessively around my shoulders.

“Right, I heard her. I didn’t know she was umm �" “ While the man with the violet eyes was looking for a statement to finish his sentence Ian found one for him.

“You didn’t know she was here with someone. Leave her alone.” The last words were almost a growl, I looked up him and his nostrils were flaring as he glared at the man before us.

“Right kid, I’ll leave the pretty girl alone. See you next Sunday miss.” He said winking at me before he walked away.

“I hate people like that, you know? They just go up and stress people out and �" “Ian, he was just trying to get me to try a fruit. He didn’t know.” I interrupted the beginning of his speech, I didn’t feel like hearing another one of his long rants about how people were rude.

“But he could have caused people to see something.” Ian said looking at me like I was insane for saying that.

“Could have but he didn’t. It’s not like he would have shoved the food into my mouth or something.” I said smiling at him. He relaxed a little but I could tell he was still fuming about the man. “Do you know him?”

He stared at me for a moment before answering. “I used to.”



© 2010 Shannon Leigh


Author's Note

Shannon Leigh
The photo from last time was a picture of Amara, this is Ian well the model I based him off.
Thanks for reading :D
-Shannon

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved this chapter too :) I'm not sure, but you might want to change jaspers name because you already mentioned sparkling and they can both be tied to twilight, overall I think you are an excellent author and I would definitely buy a book buy you

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 2, 2010
Last Updated on August 2, 2010


Author

Shannon Leigh
Shannon Leigh

Fairbanks, AK



About
Writing is what I do in my free time. I'm currently studying theatre and linguistics in Fairbanks, Alaska. Read my things and get to know me. -Shannon more..

Writing
Gone. Gone.

A Poem by Shannon Leigh