The Results

The Results

A Chapter by Shauna

I wake up to my phone’s alarm going off. Morning? Already? I swear I just fell asleep 5 minutes ago. Despite how tired I am, I get up and rush to the bathroom before Max beats me there. For a 10-year old, he spends a lot of time getting ready in the morning. When I was his age it was a miracle if I brushed my hair before I left for school. 

“Good morning, Blair,” Mom says as I walk down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Hey Mom, can you pass me a bowl?” I ask.

“Sure, but if you’re looking to have cereal, Max used all of the milk when you were in the shower…”

“Great. I guess I’ll have toast then.” I say.

“Sounds good. Sleep okay last night? You look tired.”

“I guess. I’ve been thinking about that assignment I did in Mrs. L’s class last week. We get our results today and I’m a bit nervous to see how I did.” I respond. 

“I’m sure you did just fine. You put a lot of effort into that assignment.”

She’s right, I did put a lot of effort into it. I’m sure I did fine because for the first time since we started that class, I submitted something that I genuinely have an interest in. 

“Dad said he would drive you and Max to school if you wanted,” Mom says as I finish my toast. 

“Can I drive?” I ask excitedly. 

“Blair, you know the answer. It’s too busy this time of day, and you’re still learning.” She responds.

“Come on. How are you going to let me fly a plane if you won’t even let me drive to school?” 

“I said no. Drop it Blair. You’re free to take the bus if you’d like.” 

“Fine. I won’t drive.” I respond quietly. 

“Max, honey, get your shoes on. It’s time to go!” Mom yells. “You too Blair, you don’t want to be late.”

Dad drives us to school, and maybe Mom was right, It is pretty busy this morning. I’m kind of shocked at my response to her. As if I brought up flying. We hadn’t even talked about that yet. I’ve been considering the idea, but that’s it. We still have 10 more minutes left of the drive, I think I’ll ask Dad about it.

“Dad, I’ve been thinking about something…” I say somewhat nervously.

“What’s that, Blair,” he responds.

“Well, about that assignment. I’ve been thinking that maybe I do want to be a pilot.”

“That’s great sweetie. I’m glad you’ve found something you’re interested in.”

“Yeah, well that’s just it. How do I know for sure if I’m interested in it?”

“I guess you won’t know until you try it, but I wouldn’t give up on it, that’s for sure.”

“I think I’ll talk to Mrs. L about it today when we get our assignments back.”

“Sounds like a good idea. Let Mom and I know how it goes, okay?” He responds.

“I will.”

Well I think that went okay. For some reason I’m really surprised at how supportive Mom and Dad have been about this. I thought for sure they would shoot down the idea right away. But instead it’s been the complete opposite. I think if my conversation with Mrs. L goes well today I’ll ask them if I can do a flight lesson. What a thought. A flight lesson. A week ago I’d call you crazy if you said I would be considering taking a flight lesson. Now here we are.

“Okay, taxi ride is over- get out!,” says Dad jokingly.

“Bye Dad, thanks for the ride,” I say while laughing at his lame attempt at a joke. 

As they drive away I see Max still laughing in the backseat. One day he’ll learn how embarrassing Dad can be. Max is still under the impression that Dad is “cool”. Maybe 20 years ago. Maybe.

I meet up with Amy and a few other friends in the front lobby. We have 10 more minutes before first period starts. I haven’t told any of my friends about my idea of being a pilot- not even Amy. I’m just so scared they will laugh at me. Amy already made it pretty clear that she doesn’t think I can do it. 

“Hey guys” I say as I approach them.

“Blaaaaairrrrrrr, wasssuuuup?” says Leroy. 

“Hey Leroy, you’re in a good mood.” I laugh as I say this. 

“Only because Brittany said she would go to the formal with him,” says Amy.

“Oh really? She said yes? To you? She’s nuts!” I say.

“She just might be! But really, who wouldn’t want to go to the formal with me? I’m a 10 out of 10!” Says Leroy.

“You keep thinking that,” I say. “I need to head to my locker to grab my physics textbook. I’ll see you guys later.”

“See you in careers,” Amy says as I walk away.

I’m not even half way to my locker when the bell rings. There’s no way I’m going to make it in time, but I have to try. The hallway is so crowded, and people are moving so slowly. Do they not realize I’m in a rush? I knew I shouldn’t have stopped to talk in the lobby, I knew this would happen. I can’t be late. Mr. Adams will definitely send me to the office. I finally make it to my locker. Come on lock, please unlock. Don’t do this to me now! Right three times, 26, left twice, 04, right once, 12…still locked! Come on, please work!! Right three times, 26, left twice, 04, right once, 12…finally! I grab my textbook and start running. I have 2 minutes to make it to the other side of the school. Since most people are in their classrooms by now the hallways are practically empty. I’m making pretty good progress. And then I hear it. The bell telling us we should be in class now. 

I finally make it to the classroom and find that Mr. Adams has already locked the door. I knock on it three times, and the whole class brings their attention towards me. Talk about awkward. Mr. Adams slowly walks towards the door and unlocks it. 

“How nice of you to join us, Blair,” says Mr. Adams rather sarcastically. 

“I’m sorry I’m late, I had to get my textbook from my locker.” I say. I can feel the class staring at me. Surely they have better things to do. 

“You know my policy. You’re a senior Blair, you should be able to get to class on time.” He says. “I don’t have time for this, I have a class to teach. You can head to the office and I’ll see you tomorrow. On time.”

“Okay, sorry…” I say. I turn around and head to the office. 

Mom and Dad are going to kill me. This is the third time this semester. I walk slowly to the main office. It’s just me in the halls now. I guess everyone else made it to class on time. I think about how I’m going to tell Mom and Dad. They have to understand that I tried to be on time. I left the lobby before the bell even rang. How mad could they really get? 

I open the door to the main office, and I’m the only student one here. Oh no, and there’s Mrs. L. This isn’t going to look good. Maybe she won’t see me. As I walk up to the desk I angle my body in hopes that she won’t recognize me. 

“Hi, um, I was a little late for Mr. Adams’ physic’s class, and he told me to come here,” I tell the front receptionist.

“Name?” she responds.

“Blair Evans,” I say quietly so Mrs. L doesn’t hear.

“Blair Evans… Blair this is the third time you’ve been late this semester. I’m afraid you’re going to have to sit and wait for Mrs. Turner.”

“Okay” I say nervously.

I sit down in disbelief. I can’t really be sitting here waiting to talk to the Vice Principal because I was two minutes late. And I just wish Mrs. L would leave. She can’t see me here. She already hates me enough and this will just make it worse. 

I’ve been waiting for a few minutes and get the sudden urge to cry. Don’t cry Blair. Do. Not. Cry. What are you doing! I said don’t cry. And then it happens. Oh wow this is embarrassing. Stop it! The more I tell myself to stop crying the worse I make it. I put my head down so nobody can see. As if I’m crying in the middle of the office. I feel a light touch on my shoulder and look up. My face goes completely red. It’s Mrs. L. Not only is she seeing me in the office, but she’s seeing me crying in the office! 

“Blair, what’s wrong? Are you okay?” She asks empathetically. 

 I can’t find my voice so I just nod. I don’t think this moment can get much worse. And then it does. 

“Blair Evans, you can come in now!” Mrs. Turner yells from her office. 

I look at Mrs. L, and she doesn’t look upset with me. She signals for me to go. “I’ll be here when you’re done, Blair,” she says as I walk into Mrs. Turner’s office. 

“Hi Mrs. Turner.” I say shyly.

“Ms. Evans,” she pauses for a few seconds to look at my file, “It appears you’ve been late three times this semester already. What’s the excuse today?”

I hesitate to say anything. The truth is I don’t really know what to say. I don’t have a good excuse. I had to get my textbook for the class, and ended up being a couple of minutes late. If I give her that excuse she’ll just get mad. 

“I don’t really have one, I’m sorry.” I respond slowly while trying to hold back the tears.  

“So you just thought you’d show up late today?” She says quickly.

“No, I needed my textbook,” I say hesitantly, knowing she won’t want to hear that.

“Well it appears everyone else got to class on time with their textbook.”

“I know, I’m sorry.” I really don’t know what else to say to her. 

“Well, I’ll be calling your parents, and you’ll have lunch detention today.” She states.

“Okay,” I say.

“You’re free to go now,” she says in a nicer voice, “please close the door on your way out.”

I stand up and walk out, closing the door behind me. I can feel the tears coming back. I don’t know why I’m so upset. I knew exactly what she was going to say. The same thing happened to Leroy when he was late three times. 

Mrs. L is waiting for me right where I left her. She stands up, and signals for me to follow her. We walk silently through the hall to her classroom. It’s kind of awkward really. I don’t understand why she wants me to go to the classroom with her. We finally make it to room 215. She pulls a second chair up to one of the desks, and motions for me to sit down. Oh no, this can’t be good. 

“What happened in the office, Blair?” Mrs. L asks. She’s being really empathetic again. 

“I was late for physics,” I say. I don’t even know where to look. This is so awkward. 

“Calm down, Blair, I’m not mad.” She says. 

Not mad? Then why am I here? I don’t understand. I try to take her advice anyway. I look at the table and take a few slow breaths. The urge to cry slowly goes away and I start to feel better. I can feel Mrs. L looking at me, but I think she’s genuinely concerned that I’m upset. 

“Better?” She asks. 

“Yeah.” I say.

“Good. Are you okay?”

“Yeah. I’m sorry you saw me cry…” 

“Oh, Blair, don’t be sorry! There’s nothing wrong with crying sweetie”

Sweetie? Who is this? The Mrs. L we’re all afraid of is not exactly known for calling people sweetie. I guess I shouldn’t be complaining though. I don’t really know what to say, so I wait for her to keep talking.

“What made you late for physics?” She asks.

“It’s stupid. It’s hardly an excuse.” I respond.

“Well, let’s hear it.”

“I left the lobby a couple of minutes before the first bell, but the hallway was so packed that I could hardly get through. When I finally made it to my locker the first bell had already gone off, and my lock wouldn’t work, so I spent two or three minutes trying to get my locker to open. Once I did, I grabbed my textbook and ran to class as fast as I could, but it wasn’t fast enough.” I say, and look at the table because I can’t bear to see her expression. Surely she won’t buy any of this. 

“So, if the lock had worked, you would have made it to class?”

“Yes,” I say confidently. 

“Well Blair, I’m not saying it’s okay that you were late, but the school is responsible for keeping those locks operable. If it wasn’t working, it’s not entirely your fault.”

“Too bad Mrs. Turner wouldn’t care.” As soon as I say this I immediately regret it. This is Mrs. L I’m talking to! I need to be careful. 

“Would you be against me calling her? Maybe she’ll understand it if I tell her.” Says Mrs. L.

I have a look of disbelief on my face, I’m sure, but I tell Mrs. L that I’d be happy if she called Mrs. Turner for me. 

I’m shocked with how our conversation went. I really really don’t like getting in trouble, which is the reason I found it so hard not to cry. I thought for sure Mrs. L was going to give me a lecture on why I shouldn’t be late. Instead she’s helping me. Maybe there’s more to Mrs. L than we know.  

I sit at my desk quietly working on homework. I don’t want Mrs. L to think I’m listening to her conversation. They’ve been on the phone for 20 minutes now, and I don’t think they’re talking about me anymore anyway. First period will be over in 10 minutes, and then I finally get the results for my carers assignment. I’ve been waiting for that all day. Mrs. L hangs up the phone and walks back over to me.

“Mrs. Turner said she would let today slide, just promise me you’ll be on time from now on?” 

“I will, I promise. Thank you.” I respond happily. 

“That means no lunch detention, and someone is going to fix your lock today.”

“Thank you Mrs. L.” I want to hug her, but I don’t think that’s appropriate.

“Why don’t you head to the washroom and wash up before class. You have a few minutes.”

“Wash up?” Oh no! Eyeliner! Ugh, would the embarrassment just stop already!

“I think you’ve figured out what I mean.” She says as she starts laughing. “Don’t be late for my class though!” 

“I won’t, I promise.” Even I’m laughing now. 

Fifteen minutes later I’m sitting back in class with Amy. Thankfully Mrs. L is acting like nothing had just happened between us. 

“How do you think you did on the assignment,” I ask Amy.

“I think I did fine. What about you? Think Mrs. L liked your report?” She responds.

“I hope so. I’m pretty nervous to be honest.” 

And the truth is, I am nervous. If I did good on this assignment, then maybe I am supposed to be a pilot, or at least consider the idea a little more. But what if I didn’t do well? Does that mean I should just give up on the idea? And what if I do decide to pursue it? How will I tell Amy? Will she laugh like she did when I first mentioned it? Or will she be supportive? Being confused is an understatement. I don’t even know the word to explain this. 

For once I wish Amy and I had sat in the front of the class. That way we wouldn’t have to wait so long to get our results. I’m so nervous my hands are sweating. Most of the students have already shown looks of disappointment after seeing their marks, which is certainly not helping my nervousness. She’s only 3 desks away. I can feel my heart beating. 

“Blair, see me after class so we can talk, okay?” Mrs. L says as she sets my assignment down on my desk.

“Sure.” I say nervously. Talk about what? We just spent the last hour together. She couldn’t have brought it up then? 

Mrs. L makes her way around the rest of the classroom handing out assignments. I haven’t even looked at my mark yet. I’m sure I failed. 

“What was that about?” Asks Amy.

“I’m not sure.” I say quietly.

“Well, how did you do?”

“I’m too scared to look. I must have failed.” I say with a sure sound of disappointment in my voice. 

“Well, I still think she has it out for you. Good luck.” Says Amy.

But that’s just it. I don’t think she has it out for me anymore. If she did, she wouldn’t have been so helpful this morning. I spend the rest of the class too afraid to look at my mark. Mrs. L is giving a lecture on workplace safety, and honestly, I just can’t pay attention. Once again, this assignment has completely taken over my thoughts. 

The bell goes off, everyone gathers their belongings and rushes to lunch to beat the cafeteria line. I sit quietly at my desk until Mrs. L walks over. 

“Well Blair, what did you think of your mark?” Asks Mrs. L.

“Um, I haven’t looked yet…” I say quietly.

“Oh? Why not?” She asks, almost as if she’s in disbelief. 

“I probably failed,” I respond nervously.

“Oh hardly!” Says Mrs. L. She laughs briefly then continues. “Blair, your report was excellent. It’s your best work yet. I should have mentioned that when I dropped off your assignment.”

“Really?”

“Go ahead and look…” 

I nervously flip through the pages of my report. There it is, an A. I’m sure Mrs. L can see the sudden look of relief on my face. I look up at her and she’s smiling a very genuine smile. 

“See, you had nothing to worry about Blair,” She says.

“I don’t understand. Why did you want to see me after class if I did good?” I ask. 

“Well, I want to run something by you.” She appears pretty excited about this. 

“Okay…” I’m really confused at this point.

“Well, from what I see here, you appear to have a real interest in becoming a pilot, am I right?”

“I have been considering it.” I say. 

“I have a nephew that’s a flight instructor at the airport in Hudson. I told him about you and he said he would love to work with you, that is, if you’re interested.” 

“Wow, work with me? Like fly the plane?” Now I’m excited!

“That’s right. Talk to your parents about it tonight to make sure they’re okay with it.” She reaches into her bag and pulls out a card. “Here’s his information. His name is Calvin, and he’s expecting a call from you.”

“Wow, thank your Mrs. L. My parents are going to be so excited.” I say. I decide to give her that hug. It might not have been appropriate earlier, but I think it is now! 

“You’re welcome. Good work on the assignment Blair. I see real potential. Head to lunch so you have time to eat,” Says Mrs. L as she winks,  “I wouldn’t want you being late for third period.”

I leave class totally shocked about what just happened. Maybe today isn’t so bad after all. Mrs. L really thinks I can be pilot. This is what I’ve been waiting for all week. The relief I feel is incredible. For the first time all year, I think I know what I want to do for the rest of my life. I want to fly planes, travel the world, and look good doing it! 



© 2015 Shauna


Author's Note

Shauna
Ignore formatting. It didn't copy/paste very well

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on December 13, 2015
Last Updated on December 14, 2015


Author

Shauna
Shauna

Canada



About
Well, I guess I should start off by saying that I definitely do not consider myself to be a writer. I haven't written anything fictional since elementary school, so this is definitely new for me. You'.. more..

Writing
First Flight First Flight

A Chapter by Shauna