The One He's Looking For

The One He's Looking For

A Story by Shea McWilliams
"

Another short story based off of Hemingway's writing style. A meet up between two friends who have never seen each other in person before. The struggles and benefits of technology in today's society

"

2:56 a.m. , London, England

His body looks tired but his eyes are alert, scanning the airport terminals like a lion hunting for gazelle. As she steps off the elevator, suitcase in hand, his eyes snap to hers and light up from their usual dark chocolate brown to a smoldering whiskey color. A small grin plays on his lips; he's finally found who he's been looking for. The girl walks up slowly, nervously tapping her fingers on her passport. To them, time stops as they stop in front of each other, but the bustle of the airport continues around them. He sweeps her up into a hug, and any pretense of nervousness dissipates as she wraps her arms around him tightly. To anyone watching, they look like old friends, reunited after a long time. They've never met before now. It's their secret. A long time friendship entirely based on long distance phone calls and long messages as they relay their lives to each other. Now, they walk to his car in silence, no longer needing words to communicate. He throws her luggage int he trunk and opens her door for her. She smiles faintly as she remembers a long forgotten conversation about him being a perfect gentleman.

Two weeks later, when they return to the airport, he does the same thing. It's a repeat of what happened before, but in reverse. Like a romantic movie, it's beautiful and sad all at once. Neither of them are shedding tears, however. Instead they don bright smiles and matching rings proudly. Instead of in her head as a comfort, her passport rests in her purse, nearly forgotten. She waves goodbye after they separate, glancing back at him every couple of seconds. He's promised to stay until he's seen her plane leave. So as flight, one-twelve lifts off the ground, he walks away, looking down at his left hand with a reminiscent smile. Thirty thousand feet above him, she does the same. She goes to turn off her phone as the sign lights up, instructing them to do so. As she presses the off button, she finds a single message waiting, familiarly, to be read.

"I love you."

© 2016 Shea McWilliams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a great piece of work, you have quite excellently manufactured the concept of this write, and I believe you are a fan of Hemingway... The ending was quite beautiful... Short story which is packed it enormous possibilities... Lovely work frnd...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a great piece of work, you have quite excellently manufactured the concept of this write, and I believe you are a fan of Hemingway... The ending was quite beautiful... Short story which is packed it enormous possibilities... Lovely work frnd...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 29, 2016
Last Updated on April 29, 2016

Author

Shea McWilliams
Shea McWilliams

Glendale, AZ



About
Hello, I'm Shea. I've been deactivated because with school, I just couldn't keep track of all this. But I'm back and I'm gonna try to stick around this time :) Thanks for your guys' support! -Shea more..

Writing