Peppermint Kisses

Peppermint Kisses

A Story by Shea McWilliams
"

After a long, devastating November, Mia is hoping to start a new chapter this December. Filled with Christmas hope, she tries to make things go her way. But some things aren't meant to be? Are they?

"

December first.

The official end of my month in hell.

Am I over it? Of course not.

Am I trying to get over it? Absolutely.

I completely adore Christmas and the whole month of December. This is the perfect time of year to start anew, to make my life better again. So that's what I intend to do.

~~~

As I hear my alarm signal that I'm late, I finish brushing my teeth rapidly. After checking my ebony hair in the mirror for the last time, I race out of the bathroom, grabbing my shoes on the way. Hopping on one foot, I make my way to the living room and to the front door with one shoe, half of my shirt buttoned, and my tie askew. Sighing loudly, I realize there's no way to avoid being a little late, so I sit down to put on my other shoe. After fixing my uniform and grabbing my bag, I finally make it out of the door with two minutes to spare. I bolt towards the staircase down the hall but come to a screeching halt as someone else's feet come in to view. Of course, it would be the last person I want to see: Reese Cooper.

Reese Cooper is every girl's dream man. With his dusty blond hair and smoldering blue eyes, he was the closest thing to a Greek god. Add on the fact that he was sweet, caring, and attentive, and Reese is the complete package.

However, I had hoped to avoid him for the rest of my life.

It is at this point where you ask yourself, "What did he ever do to her?" and "Didn't you just say how sweet he is?"

Yes, he is a wonderful person. But he's a painful reminder of November. He was there when my life fell apart, and looking at him now, that's all I can see.

I saw his sneakers on the stairs before anything else but, when I look up, I find myself staring into his curious, concerned blue eyes. He raises his eyebrow in question, as if to say, "Are you alright?"

I'm sure I don't look alright. I'm standing by the staircase, staring at him in shock and slight horror. But I nod anyways, and he flashes a small grin before continuing down the stairs.

Reese was never one for small talk. He always says what needs to be said and that's it. I think that's the only reason he's not being hunted down by girls. He makes no effort to talk to them so they choose to leave him alone. I suppose they don't understand the value of silence.

But I do.

That day, when my life tragically went off the rails, Reese had been there to comfort me. He came down the stairs to see me bawling in front of my apartment door, key still dangling from the lock.

Not once did he ask what was wrong. Nor did he tell me everything was going to be okay. He never spoke a word, except to whisper my name sadly when he saw me from the staircase. He held me for hours, never once letting me go, just listening to my pain without ever knowing what caused it.

And that's why I fell in love with Reese Cooper.

At first I thought he must be my guardian angel. He was there during my crisis and every day afterwards to make sure I was alright. He came to make sure I hadn't killed myself each night, even though I never would have. I lived for the visits from Reese. He made my days a little bit better with his soft smile and understanding eyes. Still, he never asked what had happened, and I don't think he needed to.

But now, I can't even look at him without feeling sad. One, because I can never have him. And two, because Reese Cooper has seen the version of me that I want hidden from the world. What would a guy like Reese want with a broken girl like me? I'm scared that, once he knows everything that's happened, he won't want to stick around.

So I watch him leave down the staircase, following behind quietly and sighing in relief when Reese continues walking instead of waiting for me.

I bolt to school, now more than ten minutes late because of my Reese avoidance. I get a pass from the sympathetic attendance lady, who I smile at even though I want to flip her off, and walk silently to English.

Everyone avoids looking at me as I take my seat and put my headphones in, blatantly ignoring whatever the teacher is lecturing on.

That's how the following two weeks of school went. I'd rush to leave and would find myself late because Reese would be coming down the stairs. But I made it through evert class and pitying stare without having a breakdown. I made it for two whole weeks and am now being rewarded with Christmas break.

I know Christmas this year is going to be bittersweet, but I refuse to let ghosts of the past keep me from celebrating my favorite holiday. I'm even more excited when I arrive home after school and find a small present in front of my door. There's only a card with my name on top of the box, which means someone had hand delivered this to my door.

I open the card and laugh at the cute message from my unknown gift giver.

"Dear Mia,

On the eighth day 'til Christmas, someone gifts to you...

Eight maids a milking? Who wants that?

Instead, I have for you the gift of hot chocolate and marshmallows to go with the milk from your eight maids."

I open the box excitedly and find a large, twenty-eight ounce tub of hot chocolate mix and a bag of mini marshmallows.

I walk into the apartment and carelessly toss my bag on the couch, heading straight for the kitchen. I quickly boil some milk and make a giant pot of hot chocolate. I grab a mug for myself and, without thinking, grab another, my mind automatically thinking of Reese.

Many mornings in November, Reese would show up at my door with two mugs of hot chocolate. It almost became a morning ritual to drink our cocoa and watch Top Model together in silence.

I put the second mug back in the cabinet sadly. Even though my entire body is disagreeing, a small part of me still insists on avoiding Reese. So, I walk back into the living room with my mug and watch Top Model alone, trying not to compare the silence to the one between me and Reese.

~~~

The next morning, after going down to get my mail, I was pleasantly surprised to see yet another package on my doorstep. I excitedly grab it, rushing in to my apartment to open it.

"Mia,

On the seventh day 'til Christmas, someone gifts to you...

Seven swans a swimming? No, sorry. I'm not rich, and you don't have a pond.

So here is one swan because I think it suits you better, and less is more."

I stare at the note in confusion, trying to decipher it. I finally give in to curiosity and open the second gift. Inside the box was a beautiful metalwork bracelet with an engraved swan. I sigh happily as I put it on, watching the way the gold polish catches the light. I go to bed with a smile on my face, waiting for tomorrow's package.

~~~

The next few days followed with same pattern. I'd wake up, leave for a short period of time, and a gift would be waiting on my doorstep when I came back. On the 21st of December, I was pleasantly surprised and overjoyed to find two tickets to The Phantom of the Opera enclosed in my daily gift. I laughed as I read the note, happy tears welling up in my eyes.

"Dearest Mia,

On the fourth day 'til Christmas, someone gifts to you...

Four calling birds? These birds are getting ridiculous!

On the note of calling, however, I gift two tickets to the Phantom of the Opera because acting is your calling."

Smiling widely and wiping grateful tears from my eyes, I thank my secret Santa for making my holidays more cheerful.


Before I know it, it's Christmas Eve. Opening the door, I find the seventh package and note.

"My darling Mia,

On the day of Christmas Eve, someone gifts to you...

Certainly not two turtle doves! Turtles, however, are a whole other story.

For your never-ending sweet tooth, I have a box of chocolate caramel turtles"

Opening the small box, I see there are, in fact, two bags of DeMets Turtles. I open them and sit down, turning on Top Model once again. I can't help but wonder if Reese likes Turtles.

Sighing as the episode ends, my mind never once drifts from Reese Cooper. I go to bed, instead hoping for the present that I want to see on my doorstep tomorrow morning.

~~~

I wake up on Christmas day super excited and hurriedly get dresses. I throw on some leggings and a Christmas sweatshirt before rushing to the door. Throwing it open, I look down but find nothing. There's nothing waiting for me on my doorstep. A wave of sadness and disappointment crashes over me as I realize that, once again, I've been forgotten. I shut the door softly before sliding to the floor, silently sobbing. I had faced the facts a while ago that I would be alone for the holidays but those gifts had brightened a dark time. Now, on the most important day, there was nothing to help ease my loneliness.

I don't know how long I've been sitting here, crying, but I stop abruptly when I hear a knock on the door. Wiping my eyes, I quickly try to hide my pain as I open the door to see none other than Reese Cooper. He's standing in front of me with his concerned eyes, holding a beautifully wrapped present. I laugh, looking up at him with joy.

Once again, my guardian angel has saved the day.

"I was going to be here earlier, but I had to finish wrapping it," he mumbles shyly, smiling his half smile at me.

I take the present from him and gently set it on the floor before stepping forward and wrapping my arms around him. He hugs me back tightly, reassuring me that this real.

"Aren't you going to open it?" he whispers.

I let go of him and grab the present, tearing into it furiously. Inside are three boxes of beautifully colored candy canes in every flavor imaginable. I pick up the card sitting on top of the boxes and realize this is the last of the eight. I feel tears start to pool in my eyes at the thought that Reese would do this for me. I open the card delicately, hands shaking as I read my last Christmas letter.

"For Mia Alexis Romero,

On the day of Christmas, your upstairs neighbor gifts to you, the gift of candy canes. I gave you every flavor I could find because I know you can never choose your favorite. I know you like the green Peeps the best, even though the flavor is the same. I've seen you wear the gold earrings and swan bracelet every day since I gave them to you. I hear you sing along in the morning to the crappy eighties music you set as your alarm, long after it stops going off. I know that you hide behind your hair when you're nervous. I know that you were secretly upset when Will lost Top Model, even if you cheered for Keith when he won. I have known you for three years, Mia Romero. And I hope to know you for more.

-Reese Cooper"

I feel tears streaming down my face and vaguely register the fact that Reese is brushing them softly from my cheeks. He murmurs quiet consolations and hugs me tightly as I cry my heart out from his beautiful words, and how quickly they changed my life.

"Thank you, Reese, so much. How did you find all of that out? We've never even had a full conversation."

"I live in the apartment above you. I hear you when you cry at night, thinking that no one on Earth notices you. I hear you pray to your parents before you go to bed, asking them to help you get through the next day. What you don't notice, Mia, is that you are never alone. And you're not unnoticed. Everyone at school sees you and thinks of how wonderful you must be to go on after what happened. And you don't realize that you don't need help getting through the day because you're the strongest person I've ever met. I know you, Mia. Maybe even better than I know my own family," he explains, obviously choosing his words carefully.

Realization dawns on me. Reese knows everything. My parents, my house, my life, all of it.

"That's why you were there that day. You heard me crying," I state, a little in shock.

He nods slowly. Then a small grin appears on his face.

"I'm not your guardian angel by the way. I am, sadly, just a man."

Oh. My. God. My face flushes, and I'm sure it's the color of Santa's suit, that's how red I am. I quickly grab a peppermint candy cane to distract myself from his teasing words and twinkling eyes. He takes the hint and changes topic easily, grabbing a peppermint candy cane as well.

"Peppermint is the best. None other can compare," he quips, mocking Shakespeare's way of speaking.

"I beg to differ," I scoff, shaking my head.

He pretends to think, twirling the candy cane in his mouth, his eyes laughing.

"It's classic Christmas. Therefore, it is the best. Nothing beats the classics."

"Not a chance. The SweeTarts kind are just as good." I reply stubbornly.

He shakes his head, his dusty blond hair falling over his eyes as he chuckles.

"Wanna bet?" he asks slyly.

I raise an eyebrow questioningly but, before I have a chance to respond, his lips are on mine. After my initial shock, I quickly respond, my dreams coming to life as I thread my finger through his hair and kiss him back. All too soon, he pulls away, breathing hard and staring at me curiously as I glance around at the ceiling.

"What are you doing?" he finally asks, looking thoroughly confused.

"Checking for mistletoe, but so far, I see none. Which means that my Christmas wish did come true." I respond cheerfully, grinning at him.

He throws his head back and laughs, making my smile widen even more.

"You really are something, Mia Romero."

~~~

I find myself understanding something important this Christmas.

I do need Reese Cooper. But he might also need me.

And he was right.

Peppermint is the best flavor.

© 2016 Shea McWilliams


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great story!
Loved it!!
Keep it up!!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 29, 2016
Last Updated on April 29, 2016

Author

Shea McWilliams
Shea McWilliams

Glendale, AZ



About
Hello, I'm Shea. I've been deactivated because with school, I just couldn't keep track of all this. But I'm back and I'm gonna try to stick around this time :) Thanks for your guys' support! -Shea more..

Writing