Chapter One- Stonehenge's mirror

Chapter One- Stonehenge's mirror

A Chapter by Shela Lian
"

Silvery blue mist swirled around the girl�s ankles as she walk silently across the large open field towards the large structure ahead. It was pitch black, her path lighted only by the brightness of the full moon and the stars overhead.

"

    Silvery blue mist swirled around the girl’s ankles as she walk silently across the large open field towards the large structure ahead. It was pitch black, her path lighted only by the brightness of the full moon and the stars overhead. When the girl drew closer to the structure she could make out it was created out of large, stone columns set up in square archways, in a large circle. A quiet whisper passed through her lips, uttering one word- “Stonehenge…” - and seemed to be carried away on the light wind.
    The wind suddenly picked up slightly, gusting around in the middle of one of the archways. Once it settled down and the mist thinned, the girl saw a woman step through the circle. The woman saw the girl and she swore she could hear a small gasp of surprise. Then the woman spoke, her voice sounding like a sweet sounding lullaby, “Oh my child, you are here at last…come my dear child, come to me.”
    The girl hesitated for she did not know this person, but she didn’t hesitate for long. She walked forward, and in what seemed to be a matter of seconds, she was beside the woman in the arch. Looking up, her mouth made a little ‘o’ in disbelief.
    The woman was beautiful, it was the only word that could describe her. She wore a light purple dress that had a slit up to her thigh, and trailed around her slender figure gracefully. Around her neck she wore a silver chain, off of which was a naked woman, crafted out of silver, with small wings coming out of her back. Her arms were lifted upwards, and in the center of her hands was a small, light purple gemstone, tanzanite by the looks of it. Her eyes matched the purple gem of her necklace, as did the gem in her delicate silver headdress, and dangling silver earrings. Her skin was pale, yet not a sickly pale, and seemed to glow slightly in the moonlight. The woman’s hair was a wheat colored gold, and trailed a bit past her mid-back, and there was a small part of it tied up in a bun on the back of her head, surrounded by tiny round peals.
    The woman looked down at the girl and gave a small friendly smile. “Come my child, follow me.” said in the same gentle voice, turned around and walked back into the circle with the amount of grace that would make any dancer jealous.
    This time the girl did not hesitate. She followed the woman into the center of the rocks to see a large stand up mirror. The moon shone down directly on the mirror and the mist swirled around the base, giving it a mystical appearance. The woman walked over and stood beside the mirror before speaking again. “Come my child. Look into this mirror. Tell me what you see.”
    The girl walked up to the mirror and looked at the image carefully. When she answered, her voice seemed to stand out in comparison to the woman’s, and didn’t seem to fit in the setting of the area. “I…” she said hesitantly, “I only see myself.” As she spoke the words however, something shifted in the image that caused her to draw back slightly. “What is it my child?” the woman asked softly. The girl took a step closer to the mirror again and gasped as she saw her image changing before her eyes.
    The girls black hair shifted into a golden hay color that blew around her shoulders gently in the light wind. Her pajamas she had been wearing transformed into a flowing white dress that she could have only ever dreamed of wearing, complete with a slit up to the thigh like that on the woman’s dress. Around her neck was a thin silver chain, though, unlike the woman’s necklace there was not a person, but a butterfly that seemed to be made out of hundreds of tiny gemstones that sparkled pink in the moonlight. Like the woman, her image also wore a headdress, yet hers was made out of tiny, delicate pink and purple flowers and tiny green leaves. Her eyes, blue normally, shined a deeper blue in her reflection. On her feet she saw elegant lace up white heels, which she noticed matched the ones the woman was wearing exactly.
    In wonder the girl lifted her hand to brush the glass gently, amazed to see the reflection mirror her movement. The woman came around and stood behind the girl and let out a musical laugh.
    The girl noticed a movement in the glass again, where her fingers touched the glass. Much to her surprise she was the image changing again. She saw the reflections hand turning white, its fingers hardening in appearance. Then she felt a slight tingling in her hand and looked down shocked to see her hand doing the same. Then she saw the scales. White, silvery, hard scales started creeping up her hand, towards her arm. She yanked her hand away from the mirror with a small yelp and turned to the woman frantically. “Help. Help me, please!” She pleaded desperately.
    The woman shook her head, a small mean smile forming on her lips. The girls eyes widened and spun around to the mirror again. The scales had traveled up her arms and shoulders, and had moved down the length of her body, down her legs and to her feet. Around her feet red lace up heels were winding around her ankles and up her leg past her knees. Her pajamas disappeared for a moment, only to be replaced by a blood red skirt that draped to her knee on one side, and the middle of her lower leg on the other. The bottom of the skirt had a torn look, cuts on it sharp and random. The top was also blood red, and tied on around the neck, had no sleeves, and stopped a few inches below her breast line. The shirt had a low back cut that exposed most of her shoulder blades. It was there were she started having the tingling feeling again. Suddenly huge wings popped from her back, expanding out behind her. The tips of the wings were also blood red, as well as the edge of the leathery skin between the wing bones. Above the skirt a tail shot out and curled around her ankles. For the most part its scales were the same silvery white as the rest of her body, until the lower half of the tail, until the scales gradually started changing to the red that was on the rest of her. The red was also on the very tips of the bony hard spikes on the top of the tail.
    The girl glanced at her face desperately, only to find to her dismay that even that didn’t go untouched. Her eyes were a deep red that stood out against the whiteness of the softer scales on her face. Her hair had turned into a snowy silver, that hung down in little curls. Black, delicate swirling line started appearing on her forehead, starting at the hairline, then working its way downwards towards the center at an angle. The lines met in the center by a small red stone, set into her head. At the top of the swirling design, in the hair line, two small, ivory horns jutted upward.
    The girls hands flew up to her cheeks in desperation, her eyes wide with fright. The woman’s laughter grew stronger, and seemed to grow darker, no longer so musical. Then she stopped laughing, her face cold and hard as she looked at the girl. “Be forewarned young one. This is your future now.”
    With that the girl let out a bloodcurdling scream into the night.



© 2008 Shela Lian


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on May 11, 2008
Last Updated on May 11, 2008