Melissa

Melissa

A Story by shelbylugal
"

The life as a model when her body is suddenly altered

"

        The serene woman sat down on the stool, turned her head and stared into camera. Her skin was flawless, her features bold and her charcoal-black hair had been pulled to one side of her head. The camera snapped and she didn’t blink, she had been modeling for ten years, but her recent pictures held a new, more vacant stare. For the past seven months, she had been reduced to headshots because of a car accident that had pinned her right leg under a pile of shrapnel, forcing it to be amputated. The leg that had allowed her to strut down runways, pose in upright stances and model shoes high enough to add five extra inches to her already six-foot two-inch structure, had been amputated at the nearest hospital the ambulance had rushed her to. Without her leg, her body was only deemed beautiful from the waist up, forcing her to that days photo shoot, modeling a black dress, sitting on a wooden stool.

© 2011 shelbylugal


Author's Note

shelbylugal
This is suppose to be in a direct characterization. Please tell me if a wander from it and tell me anything I can do to make it better.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sounds great.
You're a good writer, do you intend to make it a longer story? I'd like to read it if you do.


Posted 12 Years Ago


to the point..succulently succinct...;)))

Posted 12 Years Ago


Stared into "the" camera? That's the only thing I found. You did a great job. I normally am nice not harsh. So I may not be the best critic! Lol. I thought it was perfect. Thanks fo sharing! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love the twist to it, but to me this is a good start to a story. Like a good starter paragraph or something. Even if it were a short story, I would turn that paragraph into several and also add more details. But I really like it!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


It's pretty good. I agree with the other reviewers tho, I believe there is so much more potential details that can be added, such as her emotions and feelings on having her leg amputated and her job reduced to just modeling with the waist up. Is she happy to be alive or would she rather have died in that accident due to it affecting her dreams? This short story can also be extended just a little, like you should build suspense before explaining her car crash. Make the readers think, "Why are her eyes so vacant?"
But yes, I really enjoyed reading this. I like the whole idea and If you ever make another version or edit it I'd like to reread. *o*

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think it's a good start to a story Would like you to describe her facial features more since the photo's are from the waste up now, we'd like to know what is appealing about a model who can only do waste up photos........ elaborate on the shape of her eyes and the color..... the nose .... the lips.... her high cheekbones .... the prominent collar bones and lovely shoulders.... just some ideas....... I know you have to cram all this in one paragraph,but there's the challenge....... try editing it a bit. it sounds like a good story though

Posted 12 Years Ago


A tragic & sad tale. You're style and execution in writing could go a bit more in depth, there seems to be more to this story than you're putting out. Also you could do a little editing here and there.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good job. You did well describing her and her story. =)

Posted 12 Years Ago


A very beautiful write!!!! I absolutely loved it!! No, I didnt think you wandered.
*her body as only deemed beautiful Great diction and a great personification!!!
100/100!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You've described her story and the pain and suffering involved very well.. Very sad yet telling..xx

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

991 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 3, 2011
Last Updated on October 4, 2011
Tags: model, amputation

Author

shelbylugal
shelbylugal

Over the rainbow



About
About me? Well, My name is Shelby. I'm a senior in high school and hoping to have a published book a year or two after I get out. It's going to take work (no DER) but I'm up for the challange. My fa.. more..

Writing
Crowbars Crowbars

A Chapter by shelbylugal



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..