The Hidden Cemetary

The Hidden Cemetary

A Story by ChrystalCompass

I stepped off the school bus, running over to the sidewalk. Looking back at the road, the bus sighed and pulled away. Claire leaned up against the stop sign at the end of the road, waiting for me like every other day of the week. I ran down the block, backpack heavy, pulling me with every bouncing step I took. "Claire!" I said, laughing and running, wrapping my arms around her.
 Claire smiled down at me, her curly long hair falling down onto my head like a curtain. "I missed you, the school kids weren't being nice today." Claire squeezed me, "ignore them. they're just shallow." I nodded, "lets go home." Claire grabbed my hand and I started walking, only to be jerked back by Claire's hand. "lets go somewhere today." Claire said, her eyebrows lifted with interest. "before home? Mom will get worried. can it wait until after mom gets home?" She shook her head, and I sighed. "Fine. Where are we going?" Claire and I started down the street towards our home. Claire's favorite word was silence. 
I just shrugged my shoulders and followed, swinging our hands and following her. We walked all the way down the street, looked both ways before crossing and then down the road past our house. Turning right we heading down a dead end road that led to an open field, train tracks, and an abandoned place. The contents remain unknown, it lies behind a locked gate higher than a street light. We walked down and over the train tracks, past the abandoned gates, and into the forest that lie ahead. 
The forest was bright ad thin, the sounds of traffic and the neighborhoods floated through the air. Bouncing off the trees like bubbles filled with children and horns. "Where are we going? If we go too far we will end up in someones backyard." Turning left we made our way in a different direction. away from the houses and children, and towards the part of town where civilization stopped. 
The further we walked, the sounds of the passing cars and children faded away. Soon the only sound was the snapping of twigs and leaves under our feet. After walking for what seemed like an hour a Large Black wrought iron fence broke into vision. It stretched out to the left and right, an end not visible. As we approached it I noticed the designs of it. The gates had Twists and bends in the tops, a way to keep people from Climbing in or out. 
We stopped at the gates, a rusted old padlock held the gates together. I grabbed it, and pulled on it, to see if it would unhinge. "What is this place Claire?" I looked ahead into the space lying beyond the gates. Benches were spread out upon the ground. Trees filled patches of the area, and beyond that tombstones stuck out of the ground. " I never knew this was here. It is a very pretty place, I guess the dead deserve a place that their soul can rest at." 
Claire nodded, "We need to go home, its getting late." Claire said and I Nodded. We headed back the way we came, walking a while before Claire turned a sharp left, back where it led towards the town. The sounds of the children and cars reappeared, and the closer we got the louder they came. As we broke through the forest border I could see my mothers car driving down the road, and pull onto the street to our house.
 "OH MY GOD, MOM'S HOME. WE ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE." We ran down the hill, down the dead end road, and left onto our street. Mom stood leaned up against her car, waiting for us. I ran up to her huffing and stopped, resting my arms on my thighs catching my breath. " I saw you walking when I was driving down the road. You better not have been in the woods." I looked up at her and smiled nervously. "We were just exploring is all. We were only a few minutes into the forest." She sighed, "Do not do that ever again. If you want to go exploring wait for me to come home. That way I know where you are, and you can take your phone with you."
 I nodded, all of us going inside. Claire and I headed to my room, "Get Dressed, we have dinner with grandma and grandpa tonight." My mom shouted from the kitchen, "Okay!" I shouted back. I turned to my dresser and sighed, "I have nothing to wear."

© 2015 ChrystalCompass


Author's Note

ChrystalCompass
Well, here you go! This is a rewrite of one of my old stories that I wanted to continue. Let me know what you think! I don't know when ill be able to post more chapters because of my work schedule this week, so bare with me!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A great start to an interesting story. It's mysterious and fascinating. There's a lot going on here, and I too, like the reviewer before, got a little lost and confused in places. But, I understand it's a work in progress and so far seems intriguing.
Keep up the good work.

Posted 8 Years Ago


I was a little confused on which character was which, and it seemed like something was missing. Although, I am interested in what role the cemetery plays!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

93 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2015
Last Updated on February 9, 2015

Author

ChrystalCompass
ChrystalCompass

About
Im Shelby! I love to read, write and sing. I write short stories, and poetry. Animals and scary movies are my favorite things. I work in a floral shop and am a designer in training. more..

Writing