Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck

Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

I never expected to love again after my husband passed away. Then John came into my life. This is one of our adventures in his red ford truck.

"

We head out Hwy 12, where green trees grow and yellow bushes dot the hillsides. I ask John what they are and he replies "Scotch Broom". "What a cool name," I think. "Sounds like an English countryside name." John can identify all the trees and flowers of the Pacific Northwest. I ask how he acquired his knowledge. “Growing up in the area, but also learning it in boy scouts.” Wow, that was decades ago, yet he remembers. Among the Scotch Broom, I see Foxglove rising up in shades of pink and purple, reminding me of walks in the Alaskan wilderness when I was a girl.

 

We turn onto Forest Service Road 25 and drive into the wilderness to take a back route to Mt. Saint Helen's. I see clusters of Big Leaf Maple leaves pointing down, like little umbrellas. “I will nick name these trees umbrella trees,” I proclaim. Long Hemlock fingers, with pale green tips, hang from drooping green branches. “This would be a good place to film a spooky movie,” I remark.

 

A sign warns us that the road ahead is closed due to snow “What’s a little snow?” We keep going. Eventually, the road is covered in deep slushy snow. We must turn back. It’s a narrow road, with drop offs on each side. “I put my trust in your driving ability,” I tell John. He is an exceptional driver and in a few maneuvers, he gets us turned around, heading toward Randle instead of Mt. Saint Helen's.

 

“There’s a pull off at some kind of trail head,” John tells me. “I’ve always wanted to stop there and see what it is.” When we passed it a while ago, the parking area was full, but this time, we pull in. We climb out of the truck and see a couple returning to their car with their two young children and their black lab. “Can two old people hike this trail?” John asks jokingly. The man replies, “Yes, the trail is good. It gets a little muddy after a while. Then it gets steeper and you can climb down to the river and see the falls.” We head down the trail which is made easier with wood steps and come down to the end. We decide not to make the hike farther down to the river, but we have a great view of Iron Creek Falls. We take a few photos. Then we head back. It’s been one of many great adventures in John’s red ford truck


© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this tale from your life. I can tell that you like to write about special events/memories. It's a great wealth capture memories and hold them tight.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you Melinda. Yes, I do like to write about special events and memories.
This is such a lovely, inspiring tale that I began to fear it might go bad after John got you out in the boonies. Whew! Just ol' jaded me, I guess, thinking such things. So... that which was long dormant rises again and produces beautiful blossoms. Now, that's uplifting.
It was so long ago, but I was stationed in that area for a while. (NAS Whidbey Island) On a clear day, I could see both Mount Rainier and the cascades. So cool and green with outstanding fishing, it's one of my favorite places on earth. Your drive with John is understandably a fond memory.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your review Samuel. That's funny what you said about your fear that things would go ba.. read more
Samuel Dickens

2 Years Ago

You post them and I'll read.
Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you, I think I'll post a third one this morning.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 5, 2021
Last Updated on August 7, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing