Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck, part two

Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck, part two

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

Love and nature

"

It is Friday, June 18, 2021. We drive out Hwy 30 on our way to Astoria, Oregon. It is a beautiful day, sunny, in the 60’s, and breezy. John points at the trees on the side of the road. “They are dancing in the wind,” he says. Farther down the highway, Foxglove stand among communities of daisies, like tall friends at a Sunday church gathering.  Now and then, a field is white, carpeted with daisies; and sometimes Buttercups add touches of yellow-orange.

 

Once, a deer emerges from the woods and John stops the truck. The deer saunters across the road and approaches a barbed wire fence. “Watch him jump over that fence,” John says. And then, gracefully and accurately, it leaps up, clears the fence and disappears into the woods. Another time, we see a bald eagle soaring over the tree tops. A crow chases it. “They do that a lot,” John says.

 

We come to Astoria and drive through down town. Charming and colorful cafes and businesses line the streets, along with tall narrow houses of faded blue, green, and yellow. Other houses are weather beaten. “If I ever move, I’d like to live here,” I think.  Out in the water are ships and boats. In the Civic Greenway Area, a red and white rescue boat, the Pilot Boat Peacock, sits on display. Leaving Astoria, we cross a long bridge over the Columbia.

 

It has been another magical adventure in John’s red ford truck.

© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What sweet scenes you have seen..... and with the one you love.

Posted 2 Years Ago


There was a time before big screen tv's and endless electronic gadgets (last century, though it seems longer) that folks went for Sunday drives. And on those drives, they hoped to see things like you and John saw. Another pleasant jaunt to places wild and beautiful.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you Samuel for reading my stories. Yes, there was a time when people took Sunday drives. I'll .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 8, 2021
Last Updated on July 8, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing