The Pineapple Express

The Pineapple Express

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

Another Adventure with John in his Red Ford Truck

"

Water water everywhere

And nary a drop to drink


Well, actually we had bottles of water in John’s red ford truck but on Interstate 5 there was water, water, everywhere, making me think of  Coleridge’s Rime of the Ancient Mariner, a story about some sailors plagued by the spirit of an albatross that one of them had shot with an arrow.  As we drove from Camas, Washington to Mossyrock,Washington,  water was spraying up from all the cars on the road while clouds opened up, releasing steady torrents of rain. The weather reporter had predicted this. “It’s called The Pineapple Express”, she said, explaining that there would be an atmospheric stream of warm air bringing lots of water.


Indeed it did. We drove over a bridge across the Cowlitz River, looking down at how high and wide the river was with all the rain, plus water from melting early snows emptying into it. It brought to mind a folk song, “The river is deep and the river is wide, milk and honey on the other side” (Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore, The Highwaymen, 1961).  We passed grassy fields and saw standing water everywhere.  One field had pumpkins scattered over the soggy ground.  We arrived safely at our destination before darkness descended at 4:30, thanks to the recent switch from daylight savings time to standard time.


The next day, the rain eased up and we took a nature drive. As we headed out Highway 12, I noticed a rocky hillside that bordered the road. It was shimmering in the hesitant sunlight, as if someone had taken silver glitter and shaken it all over the black rocky surface.  I took a closer look and saw that gentle rivulets of water flowed over the whole surface of the rock wall and the sun shone on it, causing the sparkling sight. We drove on, noting cows, horses, and Christmas tree farms where piles of harvested trees waited to be hauled to various sellers. “Let’s hope the trees don’t rot in the rain,” I commented.  In time, we drove back to John’s home, where we ate a dinner of beef stew and fudge brownies made from a Ghirardelli mix.


The weekend came to a close and we left Mossyrock for Camas, noting again all the country road sights. A big yellow maple leaf dive bombed our windshield and to our right, a multicolored rainbow stretched across a wide green field, just before a little more rain splattered across the window. The whole weekend had been another good adventure with John in his red ford truck.

 


© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You should put all your stories in a book called, “John’s Red Ford Truck.” And put the pictures in as well!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for that affirmation. I am actually working on that. I'm calling it Adventures with John i.. read more
Suzanne Sonderleigh

2 Years Ago

Wonderful! It sounds like you have walked out of the darkness and into the Light.
Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Yes, I'm very thankful for that.
I used to have a positive attitude about the Pineapple Express which regularly visits us in the lower part of Vancouver Island, but it is now becoming more of a hazard than anything else, with its last visit leaving death and extensive destruction
How times change!!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Yes, during that Pineapple Express, we heard on the news about some people who were camping on an is.. read more
I loved the detail you put into your surroundings. I felt like I was in the the red ford truck right along side of you.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading Gabie. I think this is our first time to interact with each other. I'll check .. read more
This is a delightful immersion in what you observed with all your senses. Growing up in the boondocks, we didn't have much to do but drive around when anything unusual happened & in California, rain is very unusual. It would be so fun & exciting to go check all the rivers & such. You threw me back in time! We haven't had that kind of rain in years now! Love your writing (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you Barleygirl. I can relate to missing rain in California. We lived in San Diego in the 90's .. read more
You describe the scenes so well. A delight for my eyes, I tell you. But rain in Washington state? Why, of course. When stationed at Whidbey Island, I think it rained every single day. Nearly always, though, it was just was light.
Back in '61, the 13 year-old me just loved that song. Around the same time, I would hear more folk music from Peter, Paul, and Mary and Joan Baez, and I came to really dig that stuff.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing the memories that my story brought to your mind. Such nice compliments about m.. read more
When I was young and free. Every weekend, a adventure. Hello dear Shelley and I enjoyed the tale. You took me back to my wandering days. Thank you for sharing the entertaining story.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

You're welcome and thank you for reading and commenting.
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

You are welcome dear Shelley.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 16, 2021
Last Updated on November 16, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..