My Past and my Present

My Past and my Present

A Poem by Augustus

The days that pass us by we often hail
And strive to live in perfumed memories
But time speeds forth: our calls of no avail
The ship of dreams sails far out in the seas

The grass was greener then and fresh the dew
The roses blossomed then, the larks did sing
Now on dry sand are scattered far and few
The crumpled crimson petals of the Spring

Why does the Present seem insipid so?
And why does future no enchantment hold?
In company my loneliness does grow
In solitude my pensive heart grows cold

"Oh Lord free me from hell, my life do end!
I have outlived my time, and joy I've seen
In this flavourless world I have no friend
And on your side the grass is ever green"

And then spoke God: A deep voice from the skies
"My child, the world is fair, the lark still sings
Let not the Amber Fossils lend you eyes
I shall dispel the fog and give you wings"

And so on wings I flew, with clouds below
And saw a stellar light shine in my heart
Like Eden's prancing streams did Gladness flow
Embracing life again, to never part

The Past might hold my Wealth but care I not
My Soul with Calm and Peace did God endow
I love all that is mine, not what I sought
For Life is me and I am living Now

© 2010 Augustus


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

When I started reading this, I didn't expect such an ending. Right from "Oh lord free me..", I was spell-struck. It doesn't mean that the former lines are bad, just that these lines were just too good. You have used very simple words, which indeed adds to the effect. The "Oh lord free me.." stanza could be a perfect envoy to a ballad, just a thought. I'm rating this 100 and adding to my favorites :)

PS. I'm glad I reviewed it first :) Keep writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You sure have the hook in this poem which compels him/her too read till the end awesome flow, great imagination , thanks for sharing.....

Posted 12 Years Ago


I remember you through your poetic compositions...yes, occasionally surfaced in Wordsworth community on Orkut....now I find its blossoming branches over here...
I enjoy flowing along the stream of dreams....through the past and the present..
Best regards,

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is the first piece of yours I am reviewing and I can see that you are a fan of rhymes and meter. I enjoy it a lot when the writer is able to infuse rhymes to create flow. You've done exactly that and they are smart rhymes; not one bit forced or silly.
I like the 5th stanza better than the 4th to be honest. We all give pleas, but it's something else when there are actually answered.

Nicely done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Life has such a sanctity about it, despite its sorrows, its age, its tears. There is harmony in the acceptance that there is more than we know. Your words are imbued with wisdom and rise to the surface like a lotus blossom.

Your poem reminds me of a quote by Sri Sathya Sai Baba:

"God is the Sun and when His rays fall upon your heart, not impeded by the clouds of egoism, the lotus blooms and the petals unfold."

and another by Prince Gautama Siddharta:

"As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water and rises out of water to stand above it unsoiled, so I, born in the world, raised in the world having overcome the world, live unsoiled by the world."

The fourth stanza, your personal plea to the Lord, is my favorite.



Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

When I started reading this, I didn't expect such an ending. Right from "Oh lord free me..", I was spell-struck. It doesn't mean that the former lines are bad, just that these lines were just too good. You have used very simple words, which indeed adds to the effect. The "Oh lord free me.." stanza could be a perfect envoy to a ballad, just a thought. I'm rating this 100 and adding to my favorites :)

PS. I'm glad I reviewed it first :) Keep writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

367 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 11, 2010
Last Updated on July 11, 2010

Author

Augustus
Augustus

Cambridge, MA



About
My name is Shreyas Gokhale. I have a PhD in Physics from the Indian Institute of Science and am currently a Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. However, I guess.. more..

Writing
Polyphemus Polyphemus

A Poem by Augustus



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..