Earning a Heroic Freedom And Singing the Song of Independence

Earning a Heroic Freedom And Singing the Song of Independence

A Story by Shubhajyoti Sengupta
"

New Branding Strategy after the Split of Hero and Honda in India

"

It is certainly very difficult to live in this society if suddenly you have to change your name after twenty five years. It is certainly a challenging task if you have to deal with a divorce where the marriage was working so well that it became the cause of the envy for the neighbors. Yes, I am talking about the beautiful and successful relationship that existed between Hero and Honda. This heroic couple enjoyed about 60% market share in the motorcycle market of India, whereas the market share in the two wheeler segment was 43%. But after 25 years of enjoying a lovely life together Honda, decided on to sell off their 26% stake in the Hero Group and left for good. This was indeed a sad day for Hero Group, as not only they lost their partner, but at the same time this sudden divorce put the future of the brand in stake.

 

The massive consumer base that the company enjoyed was mostly due to the established brand identity of Hero Honda. When the days were hunky-dory and the marriage was going well, the tag lines associated with the brand were mostly conveying messages like “Hero Honda - Desh Ki Dhadkan”. (Hero Honda- Heart Beat of the Nation). The brand constantly tried to associate itself with the heart beat of the nation thereby asserting the fact that they represent brand India. But this sudden alteration in plans certainly made the situation a bit more problematic for the brand itself. Without Honda, Hero required something special to re-establish the brand thereby re-confirming its association with the country’s consumers. The company approached JWT to make the brand transformation process smooth and effective.

 

The plan was ready and the execution was perfect. What was a more perfect day to launch the brand than 15th August, which is incidentally the Independence Day of India? The blueprint of the plan was perfect and the song itself reflected on the underlying value based on which the brand was rebuild. The initial television commercial showed glimpses of stories of common Indians overcame their fear and regained self confidence and achieving what they wanted to. The stories were well designed, but my question is what the fear was all about? It is quite obvious that the tentativeness will be present when a new journey is about to be made. Adding to the fear is the fact that the reliable partner is no longer with them. So, the inspiring song as sung out by Hero, was basically an encouragement pat on their own shoulders by reconfirming the fact that they are ones, on whom the consumers rely.

 

 

But it was not the end.  The stories enacted by models and actors were not convincing enough to make the right kind of consumer connect that Hero wanted to make. Then they came up with a unique plan thereby inviting the consumers to join the cause themselves. The Hero group wanted to position their brand strategically thereby tempting individuals to see themselves in a television commercial. All they needed to do was to upload a video where they had to provide lip to the song “Hum Me Hai Hero” (There is a Hero in us) . Now who will be ready to join the move? Of course the young and enthusiastic one, as they still have the desire to be promoted over national television. The move worked wonders for Hero as they found hundreds of videos being uploaded in their website. The company was hoping for this kind of response and the participation of the young consumers will certainly increase their brand association. The question was simple. Is there still a Hero left in the brand? The question was something yet to be answered. But the path and the way is Heroic enough. Freedom often creates new opportunity, and Hero is certainly on its way to explore some of it. But the question that will be the main concern for marketers and business analysts is that, whether or not there is any part Hero left in the Indian Consumers?

 

To read more articles please visit : < http://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php?sk=eduwork#!/brandsinmyview>

 

 

 

 

© 2012 Shubhajyoti Sengupta


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
Added on March 20, 2012
Last Updated on March 20, 2012