Polishing the Riches

Polishing the Riches

A Chapter by Rachel

Polishing the Riches|Introduction
{Melisandra


The ship is more than a tool to cross oceans and dangerous seas. It is a temple for the pirates. They worship the ship like a man to his god. Instead of them taking care of their temple, I work inside and out to keep it in shape.

"Melisandra!" I hear my name slip through the lips of an older woman. I never knew her name, only refer her as "ma'am" for the past year or so. She is not a slave nor is she a pirate. Her clothes are too clean and decent to be either of the one. She always wraps her golden hair into a high bun, pinning it down with a needle. Her body has the luxury to have expensive gowns and clothing to cover it. Like the pirates, she comes from Ireland, claiming to have riches like no other.

My knees scrape against the wooden floor when the ship rocks with the waves. I keep my balance and lose interest in my knee as the woman walks over to me. The lights flicker and I try my best to look at her through dark eyes. Slowly, she makes her way in front of me, her slender hands resting on the curves of her hips.

"Come here, lassie, for I have a chore for you to do." Her accent is soft unlike the pirates that belch out their words when they speak. She places a hand on my shoulder and guides me up to the deck. "My gems need polishing. You must go and fix them up before sunrise. I need them to look their best before we dock." The pale blue eyes of hers gaze into mine for a brief second. My lips curl into a slight smile as I nod in agreement.

The woman then takes me to her cabin, a brightly lit room full of riches and luxury. Envy bubbles inside when I see her crimson red gown spread across her bed. My only clothing are the ones on my back, and even those aren't worth a dime.

 A rag sits on top of the jewelry box where the gems sleep in glory. The woman stands behind me and watches my every move. I slip open the box and gaze inside. The gems sparkle when it meets the rays of light. I nearly lose my breath when the tips of my fingers trace the rubies carefully. They shimmer in bright red when I hold it up to the light. My hot breath fogs it up for a brief second. Then I wipe it clean until it shines even brighter than before. Slowly, I place them back inside and reach for the other jewels.

"Very well then," the woman says, a smile crossing her pink lips. "I will leave you to your duties. If you dare take any of my treasures, you will see the last of it before the next sunrise."

I nod and keep my eyes stray from hers. I watch her through the small mirror in the box leaving, and sigh with relief. I'm not dead yet. Unlike the others, I behave and try my best to keep from trouble. However, I do not know how long this act will last. It's roughly two years and I have yet had a good meal or a comfortable place to sleep.

Instead of rambling on, I continue my duties, only wishing I have the gems she claims. However, I do not want all of them, just the rubies. The bright, red rubies. A smile lingers on my lips as I trace them once more. Bright, red rubies.


© 2011 Rachel


Author's Note

Rachel
Intake, questions, grammar? Give it to me :)

....

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on September 4, 2011
Last Updated on September 4, 2011


Author

Rachel
Rachel

PA



About
Throughout my years of writing, I've learned to not be afraid to try all of the genres out there. Mixture of genres helps me expand my imagination, and create more unique writing. Humor: Hel.. more..

Writing
Dust and Gems Dust and Gems

A Book by Rachel


MDW Introduction MDW Introduction

A Chapter by Rachel


MDW Chapter One MDW Chapter One

A Chapter by Rachel