A Homesick Village Lad In Foreign Land

A Homesick Village Lad In Foreign Land

A Poem by Siddhartha

I have left the place where I was born and raised
I have left my motherland
I have left the people who loved and cared
I have left thee, my friend

I have left the mountains, I have left the seas
I have left the paddy fields
I have left the woods, I have left the trees
I have left the rice mills

I have left the waves that crashed on the shore
I have left my father's home
I have left my naive companions of yore
I have left basking in the summersun

I have left playing in the mornings
I have left writing poetry in the afternoons
I have left my lover's constant yearnings
I have left kissing her under the midnight moon

I have left the celebrations that winter harvest brings
I have left the smell of rain-soaked Earth
I have left the banyan tree upon which the cuckoo sings
I have left my doting mother with her loving heart

I have left everything along the way I came
But now is not the time to let out my pain
When the time is right; when I have fortune and fame
I promise thee: I will come back again



© 2011 Siddhartha


Author's Note

Siddhartha
Is inspired from life but takes wings of poetry every now and then...hope you like reading it as much as i liked writing it...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Profound writing . You were really home sick when you wrote this- it is raw and intense and the hurt feels fresh. It really spoke to me since I too carry the place where I was born and brought up too in my heart even today though I left eons ago. Congratulations on the well deserved contest win!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Profound writing . You were really home sick when you wrote this- it is raw and intense and the hurt feels fresh. It really spoke to me since I too carry the place where I was born and brought up too in my heart even today though I left eons ago. Congratulations on the well deserved contest win!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Super Sweet!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I pondered the sacrifice here.. all that was given up.. left behind... All this to make a new life for yourself and then, with all hope, return to those you love and the places you remember. Heartfelt and richly confessed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


beatiful poem of adventure, longing and hope

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
OT
stunning poetry!!! true life experiences make for best reading - the feel of the images cannot be feigned in this one - powerful - something we can all connect too and I whole heartedly agree with Serah - determination is clear in this piece and determination + talent = success!! brilliant!

Posted 13 Years Ago


The practical life experience penned,with an optimistic note to return to the native land.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this, and I can wholly connect with this right now..I cannot tell you why but does that matter!! Sid, Nostalgia is the greatest killer and we always yearn to stick to our roots..A great one said..You can see the entire world and then realize the best place to see, be was where your home was..

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
. oh, absolutely ... love, love, love this ... all the images following the phrase "i have left" are exquisite and exquisitely expressed ... beautiful poetry ... yet, even more poignant than those images is the last stanza ...

. i'm astonished ... and pleasantly so ... by the connection you establish between letting out your pain and fortune and fame ... i'm not sure if i see the connection in its entirety yet but it's incredibly thought provoking ...

. and one thing's for sure ... the fame and fortune that you seek shall definitely come your way ... for what emerges from this piece is that you're very purposeful and focused ... and i think that's critical to ensure success ... i know that when you return to your "home" ... as described in the poem ... you'll get a hero's welcome ... just remember that you're incredibly articulate and sincere and don't give up till those skills find their way to expressing themselves in your professional life ...

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 26, 2011
Last Updated on January 26, 2011

Author

Siddhartha
Siddhartha

Hyderabad, South Asia, India



About
An engineer, with a management degree, I am passionate about and fascinated by the arts – literature, movies, music and photography, et al. Creative writing, especially poetry is the raison d&rs.. more..

Writing
reverence reverence

A Poem by Siddhartha



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..