Discovery of creativity

Discovery of creativity

A Poem by Ashwin Shanker
"

Fighting back writer's block

"


I woke up dreamless from thoughts that kept my eyes open,

conjured all the strength I had and rolled up another one.

The sun was rising, ever so slowly above the taller buildings in front of me.

With the rush sinking in, the poet awakens, the critic goes to sleep within me.


The morning quiet deafens my ears but clears my mind.

Words seem to flow smoothly before my eyes.

Not Shakespeare, not Thoreau, even Hemingway won’t suffice.

I would be writing the most sublime piece of work anyone would find.

 

My thoughts flow freely like the rings of smoke escaping my mouth.

From the dull light of the sun, my mind soared above the confines of the wall.

No use of expressions tangled, no set of words cluttered.

My fingers obeyed peacefully to those lines my mind dictated.

 

I lay down the final passage of my prose with a titanic climax.

I raised my hands up and danced in absolute euphoria.

I let the beat possess me with its rhythm.

Like a ragdoll, I jerked my body like it’s the dawn of new millennia.

 

© 2016 Ashwin Shanker


Author's Note

Ashwin Shanker
This poem is about how I used the power of THC to get through Writer's block.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Here you dont compare creativity to any gigartuan talent but seem to say what it is simply, yes, its the will n power to express oneself through thoughts and I like the last para a lot, and the whole poem seems to convey a dancing movement indeed. Well-written. Good work What is THC?

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the review Suchita



Reviews

I do love your line, "[T]he critic goes to sleep within me." Wouldn't it be so peaceful if our inner critic(s) embraced eternal rest and left us alone forevermore? It'd be nice to let those creative juices flow freely. Having writer's block stinks!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nessly

7 Years Ago

Indeed. As you so artfully display in your poem, it isn't always easy waking-up our creative child.... read more
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

The creative child will wake up on its own. We just need to make the right circumstances for it.
Nessly

7 Years Ago

Certainly. :)
Writers block....what a subject. Love the wording which you used for this poem. In particular the last verse - you expressed the feeling of relief wxceptionally well when us writers finally overcome what seems a mamouth task ahead and rhen we finally put the full stop to our words - titanic climax indeed.

Kudos to you sir - this was exceptional.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you Mark. For the review that hasn't missed the mark :)
I however find your review to .. read more
Once in a while every writer experiences this Writer's block- no matter how talented, creative and spontaneous you are we all have this. I like the way you've written this poem expressing how got through the block and started writing it down and the best part of it- " I raised my hands up and danced in absolute euphoria." Yeah, that seems like "Mission Accomplished"!

Regards,
Anjali

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I completely agree with you Anjali, I wanted to talk about Writers block in this poem. Thank you for.. read more
Inspiration is the best! Every once in a while we get to write something that just pours out of us perfectly and it's such a nice feeling when that happens. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I agree with you. The feeling is truly beautiful and there is nothing like it. I wanted to capture t.. read more
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

However, I was talking about smoking weed, which I feel not too many people addressed in their revie.. read more
D Connolly

7 Years Ago

I did, however, I think that inspiration can come from so many things, and because I can relate to t.. read more
Having just come across many of my old poems, I almost question myself as to if I really wrote them. Having wrote for a newspaper, my name is there but the words are not familiar. Each write must come from out of the deep recesses of our minds. Hum, now I am thinking how to put that into rhyme. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Your review itself is rhyming so well... I feel that is the thing with poets, the poetry seeps into .. read more
i really really like this poem...especially the phrase "the critic goes to sleep within me"

we are our own harshest critics and sometimes that holds us back...we need to just write, just let it fly...let what comes out come out and just BE.

have faith---many poems write themselves.


j.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Thank you Jacob. :) Glad that you loved it,
I love the way you write! It has a beautiful flow!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Oh wow that is s nice to hear. Which were your favorite lines Gulia.
I enjoyed this poem. It gives a unique but relateable insight into the creative process a lot of writers go through. Your imagery is strong and I especially enjoyed the description of your fingers obeying peacefully.

Just one thing. Your last line - maybe it could be "a new millennium" or "dawn of millennia"?

Well done, good luck with your writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

I have made the change in the poem as suggested by you. Thank you so much.

Regards
So thoughtful...
with clear ideas... meaningful framing of sentences with polite and sweet words adds to the flow...
Very innovative...
I could picturise the dawn...the sun...the view of those buildings from the balcony ...where the writer sits to listen his mind and his fingers dance to the music of the mind....holding a pen as a sword.....
too good...sir...

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

Dear writer definitely sounds better. :) Cheers.
Anindita Janhabee

7 Years Ago

😃........😊...................:-)
Ashwin Shanker

7 Years Ago

???????????? :P

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

912 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 13, 2016
Last Updated on December 28, 2016

Author

Ashwin Shanker
Ashwin Shanker

Calicut, Kerala, India



About
I am 25 years old, copywriter working at Mullen Lowe Lintas Group, Mumbai. I love writing and have been doing the same since six-years-old. I am a huge fan of communities of writers who support eac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..