GENEROSITY

GENEROSITY

A Story by JENY
"

Actually it is an essay...about generosity

"

              GENEROSITY 

     Psychologists especially behaviorists tries to explain behavior of individuals in terms of motivation behind it. By knowing motivation behind a particular behavior you can promote or demote it using appropriate reinforcements. This prompts me to think about the most sublime of all humane qualities Generosity and motivation behind it.

                       Generosity is a good quality that is learned through life experiences. It is a manifestation of individual’s broad mindedness. It vouches for his ability to jump out his limited ego and expand himself beyond its walls. It is indispensable for the harmony of a society that aims at the equality of its heterogeneously dispersed groups it constitutes especially in the materialistic level.

                    Home is the first place where tit bits of generosity are picked up in the early child hood. To complement this, comes the actual instructor of this quality- Religion. Almost all religions herald generosity a must observed quality for one’s spiritual growth. Some religions even threaten with possible punishment from the God almighty if Generosity is not observed.

                       The fact is, generosity is often not purely generous. Those who are generous and donate to a cause, individual or collective, expect something in return. It may be blessing from God, or a promising heavenly life after death, or as a penance for misdeeds committed in the past. In these cases it is the fear or anxiety over future life that prompts the individual to be generous.

                   Yet, there are many who expect an enhancement for their social image by their generosity. Yet there are many who use generosity to have a control over others exploiting their helplessness. Here the power motive of the person fuels his generosity.

                       Motivated generosity is not a generosity in its pure form. The real generous person will never have experienced a feeling of giving. The real generosity is that generosity which arises from the awareness of One-ness of all living organisms under the sky. Generosity springs from that awareness has a special beauty. Generosity is only an outward expression to that awareness by which he has transcended his existence as a separated entity from the universe around him.

                 When I look back, I can say that there is only one person, in my life who was purely generous. It is my grandmother. She never knew what she gave me. She kept on giving her health wealth, love…all to everybody else in my family till end. She was not aware of her act of giving. Giving was her way of living. I dedicate this article to her.

© 2010 JENY


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Generosity is an interesting article to pick to write about as in its pure form it's an altruistic act that is uniquely human.

Structurally you break up the essay into the traditional three part structure with an introduction, a discussion and a conclusion. However it might have been a bit stronger if you'd actually posed a question in the introduction. That way a fairly small essay like this would have its boundaries defined. Without such a structure its hard to conclude whether you've actually achieved what you set out to do or not.

In the discussion section of the essay you introduce some interesting points but without defining what you mean by generosity (is it acts that seem that way or acts of true altruism?) there's no real direction to the debate. However, you do cover what isn't meant by generosity and point out the false nature of pretending to be generous due to guilt or the fear of some sort of divine justice. This is strong point of the essay.

I like the conclusion a lot as you do seem to have found someone who actually was truly generous and it's a good personal touch you introduce and it's a nice tribute.

Overall this is a good essay that with the addition of a little more structure and direction that could become a great essay.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

There are very few generous people in the world. Most people are selfish and only care about what they can get out of someone or what they can get back for it. Its really sad. Nice essay.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is excellent. You are absolutely right, generosity is a rare trait to find in pure form. So many people expect something in return in one way or another. But as you said in your last two paragraphs, generosity should be a way of life. It should be a part of your heart because thats who you are, you WANT to give, not becuase you want something back. Nice essay.

Posted 13 Years Ago


well done great story and the visions are straight at least to me anyway nice write I like it :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Generosity is a very interesting subject. I really think sometimes that Pride is a child of Generosity since in many cases that's what Generosity breeds. I totally agree that many people engage in generous acts simply for getting something in return and is that really generous or is it merely a transaction. A true generous act is one that is not reciprocated and simple acknowledgement in that can put you ahead of the game. Your grandmother must have been very special to you. I think that she would be very proud for this dedication.

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow....I was touched by the ending. But not to overlook the rest of the article...I must say this was very informative. I never looked at generosity in this way before. This was very elaborate and inspirational for me. Hopefully I learn something from it!! Thanks for sharing :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Generosity is an interesting article to pick to write about as in its pure form it's an altruistic act that is uniquely human.

Structurally you break up the essay into the traditional three part structure with an introduction, a discussion and a conclusion. However it might have been a bit stronger if you'd actually posed a question in the introduction. That way a fairly small essay like this would have its boundaries defined. Without such a structure its hard to conclude whether you've actually achieved what you set out to do or not.

In the discussion section of the essay you introduce some interesting points but without defining what you mean by generosity (is it acts that seem that way or acts of true altruism?) there's no real direction to the debate. However, you do cover what isn't meant by generosity and point out the false nature of pretending to be generous due to guilt or the fear of some sort of divine justice. This is strong point of the essay.

I like the conclusion a lot as you do seem to have found someone who actually was truly generous and it's a good personal touch you introduce and it's a nice tribute.

Overall this is a good essay that with the addition of a little more structure and direction that could become a great essay.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wise words, Jeny. A wonderful dedication for your grandmother who taught you these lessons as well as others i am sure.

I agree with this essay.. To be generous is to expect nothing in return..
wonderful lesson and write.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


I know many who give without wanting gratitude. The sister (The ford family) donated 300 million in her lifetime. Her wish and command was no-one knows where the money came from. The generosity of this woman was kept secret till her death. I agree with you on the Grandmother. My Grandparent gave me all I needed and never ask for anything in return. The story is very good. I like the knowledge and wisdom you have share with me. A outstanding story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agreed with Mustafa. Good topic to write about and very well written. :) I like it. good job :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great topic to write about. I really like it:)

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

499 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2010
Last Updated on July 2, 2010

Author

JENY
JENY

Kerala, Thrissur, India



About
friends I am back... more..

Writing
Listen Listen

A Poem by JENY


RESEARCH RESEARCH

A Poem by JENY


IF YOU LEAVE ME IF YOU LEAVE ME

A Poem by JENY



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..