Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Renee Haydn
"

how Shayla Lewis becomes Firefly

"

 

Shayla Lewis was a special girl. She could shoot lightening rods with her eyes, fly with her dragonfly-like wings, and she possessed telekinetic powers.

When she was 13, a phenomenon occurred. It happened after school, cheerleading practice was ending early since it was about to rain. Shayla was the head cheerleader and loved by the whole community. It started to rain while only Shayla and her two friends were still out on the field. Kathryn and Maya ran under the bleachers but only Shayla stayed out in the rain.

“Girl you better get out of that rain or you gonna get a bunch of knaps on yo head. And don’t you call me over to your house to straighten out yo head,” fussed Maya.

“I’m getting a perm tonight anyways. This is fun ya’ll should come out here!”

“Come on Shayla, you’re gonna get struck by lightening,” said Kathryn.

“Impossible!”

“While you’re out there, do you want to go get my purse, it’s getting rained on,” said Maya.

“Ok,” Shayla sprinted towards the purse. As she was running she came across a huge puddle. She jumped over it but while she was in mid air two huge 100,000 volts of electricity flashed from the sky. One struck her in the head the other struck her in the chest, it dragged her up in the air. She screamed out, then it stopped and suddenly dropping her twenty feet to the ground.

“Shayla!” Kathryn and Maya ran out to her. They found here face down in a mud puddle, she wasn’t breathing. “Oh my God what do we do?” Kathryn started to cry.

“Kat, you’re the one who took first aid!”

“Oh my God look at her chest!” There was a completely round black circle in the middle of her chest. Her head was bleeding.

A boy who was just across the field, known as CG (Camera Guy) ran across the field to help, “Is she okay?”

“Of course she ain’t okay! Ya’ll start CPR and I’ll go get Coach!”

“CG do you remember how to do CPR?”

“Yeah, get ready to breathe into her mouth,” He pressed on the left side of her chest trying to avoid the scar. “Breathe!”

“Good Lord what happened,” said Coach Cindy.

“She got struck by lightening!”

“Maya call an ambulance!” They continued working on her.

At one point she sat up and said, “Mi amo!” (My love) Another rod of lightening struck her again at that same instance. Coach Cindy, CG, Maya and Kathryn were pushed ten feet away from her in different directions. It had no effects on them but it made Shayla have a seizure.   

They scrambled back to help her. Three minutes later the ambulance shows up When she was being taken away she still wasn’t breathing. Coach Cindy rode with her in the ambulance. CG drove Maya and Kathryn since they were too shaken to drive.

Maya called Shayla’s parents and a few more of their close friends. The four of them were treated for shock as Maya’s father, Doctor Johnson, worked on Shayla. Half an hour later, after about fifteen of  her family and friends had arrived Dr. Johnson went to talk to Shayla’s father. “How is she Daddy,” Maya asked.

“It’s a hard struggle, so just keep praying.” Shayla’s mother collapsed in tears. “Can I talk to you Dr. Lewis.”

“Yeah,” they went into the hallway Dr. Lewis said, “George, I know you’re lying, how’s my honeybee?”

“Lewis there is no way that she’ll survive. She has unknown brain damage and she is literally cooked on the inside. You need to say goodbye.”

Dr. Lewis grasped George’s arms as if he was about to pass out into death, “Tell me you’re lying not Honeybee, no she’s only 13, she’s the light of my life, my air. George, please tell me that you’re lying.”

“I’m not lying, Jermaine, I wish I was but I’m not. It’s a miracle that she’s still alive right now. She has an unknown amount of brain damage. I think it would be best if you and Nicole would come and say your goodbyes.”

“I don’t know just how to,” he stopped talking and cried. George sat him down on a bench and returned to monitor Shayla.

An hour later, Shayla suddenly began to breathe on her own. She sat up and opened her eyes. She pulled the tubes out of her throat and started to tug at the IV. The machine that she was hooked up to started to make more noises. A nurse came in and screamed, “Good Lord!”

Shayla suddenly screamed feeling an excruciating pain all over her body. She scrambled out of the bed and crawled out of the room. Somehow her body was loosing it’s brown color and getting lighter and lighter. Her eyes that were once brown melted away only leaving the pupil. She screamed in agony, “OH GOD SOMEBODY HELP ME!” Dr. Johnson froze in his steps. She made her way out to the waiting room where her friends and family dried their tears and stared in amazement. She was still screaming the whole time, “HELP ME! OH GOD PLEASE HELP ME!”

“Shayla,” her mother called.

“MAMA HELP ME! PLEASE IT HURTS! IT HURTS! EVERYTHING HURTS!” She rushed to her daughter’s side but she screeched at the top of her lungs. Before twenty people her skin changed from brown to a color of snow white, an albino. In her eyes, no iris had reappeared just leaving the pupils. “HELP ME!” She crawled away and was heading towards her friends still screaming when she passed out right in front of them. All the power inside the hospital clicked off. The nurses rushed in the dark to their patients. All that could be seen was an uncanny light that shown brightly from Shayla’s body. Huddled together, they stared at the white light coming from this person they couldn’t recognize anymore. They could see each other clearly in this light.

Her father was the first to approach her, “She’s asleep.”

“What happened to her JC,” Mrs. Lewis asked her husband.

“I don’t know but I will find out,” he picked her up taking a little static shock.

“Lewis,” said Dr. Johnson, “she’s my patient.”

“George, she’s my daughter, come on Nicole,” he and his wife left leaving everyone else in the dark. When Shayla was taken completely out of the hospital the lights flicked back on.

 



© 2008 Renee Haydn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good. I liked how your dialogue went. I can't wait to read what happens. This is a unique idea!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
1 Review
Added on April 21, 2008


Author

Renee Haydn
Renee Haydn

Conway, SC



About
I am a sophmore in college and hopefully a future novelist. I've lived in a small coastal town in South Carolina all my life. I'm dying to get out and experience new things. more..

Writing
Choices Choices

A Story by Renee Haydn