Tiger BlogFest 2010

Tiger BlogFest 2010

A Story by Sofea
"

An article I wrote when I took part in the Tiger BlogFest 2010

"

Kindergarten - the time when everything made sense. Curious questions were answered and the world was our playground. Learning, thinking and exploring bit by bit every day. Question after question seem to afloat. For example, why are some animals of different colours? Isn’t that just plain weird?


Then, comes the colouring lessons where we are taught how to colour according to the correct colours, also making sure that we colour inside the lines.

The teacher would show the class the picture and say, “Everyone, what animal is this?”


“TIGER !”

“Good ! Now what colour is this beautiful animal?”

“Orange!”

“Black!”

“White!”

“Stripy colour!”

Ahhhhhh, kindergarten. :)


Of course, my kindergarten days are over. And sadly, ‘tigers’ too have drifted out of my mind.


Having to write a post on tigers to create awareness is no easy task. Being only 16, there is certainly a lot of things I have yet to learn. However, being a part of our world today, I feel that there is a huge necessity to do so. I shall not start on the statistics or try to be all professional and formal. As the impact I might give would be minimal.

Instead, I would like to ask you to simply think.

Let’s compare these two paragraphs together shall we?


The Good Stuff

The Malayan Tiger is found in the southern part of Peninsular Malaysia. It is the smallest of the mainland tiger subspecies, and the second smallest living subspecies, with males averaging about 120 kg and females about 100 kg in weight! The Malayan tiger is a national icon in Malaysia, appearing on its coat of arms and in logos of Malaysian institutions, such as Maybank.

And….


The Bad Stuff

Based on the Conservation Status on Wikipedia, tigers are endangered and are seriously under threat. In a couple of years, the Malayan Tiger might even be extinct!


Clearing of forests!

Hunting!

Habitat destruction!

Poaching!


Doesn’t that sound all so scary? If we were given a chance to choose, wouldn’t it be great if it there wasn’t any bad stuff?


On a lighter note, almost everyone I know has been to a zoo. We see various species of animals including tigers too. Have you ever thought about whether these majestic animals are facing extinction? Well, most people would say ‘no’. I too have been one of those people. All that is ever important to us these days is whether it is ‘feeding time’! But really, ask yourself. We might think;


Why do we teenagers have to care about tigers?

I have better things to do!

Help tigers? Are you crazy? You want to be eaten alive?!


But believe it or not, we ALL play a part in protecting the tigers. No matter what age we are, skin colour, race, religion; there comes a time when all of us must work together towards one goal.


Therefore, we as teenagers should stand up and be heard as well. Don’t just straight away go on Facebook or Twitter every time you go online! (Which we all certainly do) However, make a little effort to browse through the internet to learn more about the Malayan Tiger. At the same time, find the little ways you can do to spread the message and create awareness. Everyone knows that we are no superman or superwoman, but indeed inside every one of us is that eco-warrior waiting to find the right time to help and make a difference.


Whether it’s donation of money, time or even ideas; all is useful in helping the tigers.


The next generation of kindergarten children would certainly want to learn about tigers as an animal with a beautiful orangey-black coat and sharp teeth. Not an animal that has joined the dinosaurs’ club. :( So please, spread the word and create awareness. There is not much we teenagers can do but if we don’t try, who knows?


Tigers are certainly great animals. So dear friends, pledge to help. Pledge to make a difference.

The tiger is our national animal. Our heritage. But today only less than 500 of them remain in the wild. As Malaysians, we need to stand up and protect our heritage. Speak to your children. Speak to your leaders. Every one of us can make a difference.

For further information, please visit MYCAT (www.malayantiger.net), WWF Malaysia (www.wwf.org.my) and Department of Wildlife & National Parks (www.wildlife.gov.my)


Tiger BlogFest 2010 is part of an effort to highlight the plight of this majestic cat.

· Planet of the Monyets (www.planetofthemonyets.blogspot.com )

· WWF Malaysia TX2 (www.tx2.my) website

© 2010 Sofea


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
Added on December 24, 2010
Last Updated on December 24, 2010

Author

Sofea
Sofea

Malaysia



About
My name is Sofea Take away the 'e' and put in the 'i' it's the capital of Bulgaria Still seventeen and still learning I'm a girl who finds the world amazing! I love to read and write Throw me.. more..

Writing
Growing apart Growing apart

A Poem by Sofea


Love and hope Love and hope

A Poem by Sofea


Teenagers Today Teenagers Today

A Story by Sofea