Smokes

Smokes

A Poem by Soren

Youth like my smokes, gone

pleasure dissolved in air

wrinkled wrapper withdrawn

shaken empty, despair


Discarded trash

memory stains on fingers

burned out ash

sweet smoke lingers

© 2024 Soren


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

They say that youth is wasted on the young because they have no appreciation of the opportunities available to them with only the application of determination and effort. Some of the ones on the right track end up lost and overwhelmed on the event horizon of adolescence. Toddlers and teens are never reasonable creatures. I grew to adulthood in the seventies when even the adults were acting strange. "The Kids Are Alright" sang The Who in 1965 but the caca was just beginning to hit the proverbial fan with the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights movement. What a turbulent and powerful time to be alive. It may only be the smoke of memories now, but, yes, it still lingers. I enjoyed the read. F.

Posted 2 Weeks Ago


Soren

2 Weeks Ago

Thanks friend I too was in young adulthood in the 70's and it was a time indeed. Thanks so much for.. read more
So truly said, dear Soren, the pleasures of youth are so fleeting, earthly joys are all so in passing. Superb imagery of the smokes dissolved in the air.

We become burned out ash. Tipped into a universal recycling bin. But the sweet smoke as memories lingers and how! The end packs such a satisfying punch in the face of mortality. Something so pure of our entity, our existence lingers and lingers!

In just two stunning verses, you've spanned the entire woe of our existence! Kudos!

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


Soren

3 Weeks Ago

Thank you so much Divya for your most kind review. Your gracious and encouraging words are highly es.. read more
I smoked for years...and it was for pleasure...
then it became too expensive and I just quit.
I found love the same way....I loved for years...but there are just stains on the heart, so I quit.
I still have the empty pack...it is a good reminder to stay quit.
j.

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


Soren

3 Weeks Ago

A great analogy as well and both seem to go with youth where foolish decisions of the heart are made.. read more
"sweet smoke lingers" to keep them hooked?
Written from the POV of the Devil? ...if there is such an entity.
Good one!

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


Soren

3 Weeks Ago

Thank you JD I appreciate the read and comment.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 22, 2024
Last Updated on May 22, 2024

Author

Soren
Soren

Writing
Acronyms Acronyms

A Poem by Soren


Equality Equality

A Poem by Soren



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong