Chapter X

Chapter X

A Chapter by speakingcolors

As Anna walked through the old wood, it began to rain. She found some shelter underneath a giant mushroom that grew on the side of one of the trees and waited on the rain to pass. But it just kept raining. For hours it poured down. The sound of the rain was soothing and soon Anna began to nod. She fought her exhaustion but eventually it got the better of her and she fell asleep. 

———
 
Anna could hear the rain, though she did not wake completely. It still sounded so soothing that she kept her eyes closed. Through the rain, she could hear another noise. The butterflies where up and flying around.
 
“Oh, not yet, please. Just a little more rest.”
 
The butterflies did not stop flying and they started to land on her face. Anna swatted at them and kept her eyes closed.
 
“Stop it, stop it.”
 
They continued at it and started to pull at bits of her hair. Anna finally opened her eyes, swatting at them once again.
 
“Alright, alright! What do you want?”
 
Anna rubbed her eyes and looked out in front of her. It was dark now so her eyes did not need to adjust to her surroundings. The only light she saw was from the moon beams and the two butterflies. They hovered in front of her, one on each side of her periphery. Then, between them, Anna saw what they were so anxious about. A cloaked People of the Dark was slowly coming through the trees toward her. Anna screamed and tried to back away but could not because of the tree she was under. It was almost to her. Anna grabbed a fallen branch and swung it out in front of her, striking the People of the Dark in its leg. It screamed and staggered to the side, which was all Anna needed. She jumped up from the ground and took off through the forest in the pouring night rain.
 
As she ran through the trees, Anna could hear the People of the Dark. She turned her head back and saw it following her. It moved swiftly through the trees. It did not run the whole way. Instead, it would run a short distance and then vanish into a shadow, only to emerge a moment later from another shadow. The faster she ran, the closer it seemed to get. Anna did not know what she was going to do. The rain fell harder, soaking her to the core and the flash of lightning and crash of thunder echoed in the night. 
 
All of a sudden, Anna fell into a clearing. She looked up from her hands and knees to see a giant mansion towering in front of her. From behind her, she heard a shriek. Whirling around, Anna ducked at the last second as the People of the Dark leaped toward her. It flew over her and landed with a splash in the muddy ground, skidding on all fours as if it were a wolf. Hurdling itself once again at Anna, the black creature let out another scream. Quickly, Anna leaned back on her back and as the People of the Dark landed on her she kicked it with both feet, sending it back behind her. As it fell head over heels, Anna dashed toward the door, running with all her might. Slamming into the wooden door, she pounded her fists and yelled out, “Let me in! Someone, please! Help! Let me in!” Without warning, the door opened and Anna fell into the giant house. Looking over her shoulder, she saw the People of the Dark coming closer and closer to the doorway. Getting to her feet, she reached out to shut the door but as she did, the huge door creaked closed on its own, shutting with a loud echo just in time to keep the People of the Dark out. A moment later, a boom came from behind the door. Anna jumped at the sound. The thuds continued, all the while getting farther and farther apart. Finally, the thuds ceased and Anna sighed with relief.
 
Anna got to her feet, soaked once again from the rain, and looked around at the low lit mansion that had seemingly appeared out of nowhere. The house was clearly very old and yet was very well kept. Everything was neat and clean. As Anna walked down the great hallway, her feet echoed on the marble floor. Paintings ranging from portraits to scenes of war and suits of armor clearly not for men lined the hallway. Giant flags hung from the ceiling with strange markings on them. Anna went through the door at the end of the hallway, the butterflies following close behind, and continued wondering around all the while keeping as quiet as she could in case she were to meet one of the residents. However, as she continued about, she found no one, not even a sign of anyone except for the flickering of the seemingly new candles that gave the manor its light.
 
She marveled at the beautiful décor. There where large rooms filled with sculptures of creatures, large floor rugs with the most intricate designs, and even the candlesticks were of the finest quality. Anna found a giant circle shaped library that reached two floors in height, books lining almost every inch of the wall. A giant wooden desk sat across the room from the door and a sitting chair with an exaggerated back sat in front of a lit fireplace, one of the three things that took up space on the wall. The second was a large window that sat high in the room of which Anna could see the moon glowing through. The last was a painting almost just as big as the window itself that hung above the fire place. It was a portrait of a man in a jester’s uniform. He wore it with dignity even though he still hid his face behind a mask. Anna gazed at it for a moment and the continued her journey through the house.
 
Anna soon came upon the dining hall. At the center of the room sat the largest table she had ever seen which ran the full length of the room. Chairs too many to count lined the table’s side, each with a set of the finest dinnerware. Other smaller tables sat next to the head table set with the same dinnerware. Giant chandeliers hung from the ceiling as did a large platform which seemed to be for a small orchestra to play from to provide diners with music while they ate. Above the chair at the head of the table was a portrait again of the same man. It was not the same picture as in the library, yet he still wore the clothes of a jester. Anna thought it odd that there were pictures of jesters in such a rich house. She shook her head and walked across the dining hall to one of the many doors that lined the room.
 
Anna stepped through the door into the most giant, most lavish ballroom she had ever seen. Marbled pillars stood all around the room to separate the dance floor from the standing space that circled the room. They only did not stand at the opposite side from which she stood. There was another place for an orchestra that was cut into the wall so as to not take up space, though much bigger than the platform that hung in the previous room. Small wooden tables sat around the standing space to accommodate guests’ drinks and platters of food. Above each was a mirror with various decorations on either side. Anna walked out onto the dance floor to find a floor rug at the center. In the center of the rug sat a wooden chair. However, the chair was not like the other chairs she had seen about the house. It was smaller and had little if any outstanding decoration. It seemed to be just a common chair, as if for one of the servants. She wondered what it was doing there but was once again taken by the beauty of the ballroom. Anna began slowly dancing around the floor as with a waltz partner. She smiled to herself as she spun around, her feet echoing in the large empty room.
 
Noticing herself in one of the few full length mirrors, though, Anna stopped. She was a mess, dirty and still damp from the rain. Cleaning herself up as best she could, Anna noticed the decorations to the right of the mirror. There was a mask and a spot for something else but it was missing. It was the first thing that was out of place. Even the chair was sitting as if it had a purpose. Anna looked at the mask. It was simple. Its pale yellow color reflected no light and it was made of some type of material she had never seen before. Glancing over her shoulder, Anna reached out and took the mask from its spot on the wall. She inspected it once more and found that it had no string to keep it on one’s head. However, she slowly held it up to her face and peered through the eyes holes into the mirror. As she did, she could see the reflection of not just her but she could see the small wooden chair. Upon seeing it, Anna gasped and pulling the mask away from her face whirled around. There, sitting on the chair was a man. Anna jumped behind the nearest pillar to hide. Peaking out from the side, she looked closer at him and saw that he had no head. Still holding the mask, she slowly tip-toed out to the chair. The headless man sat motionless in the wooden chair, his arms up on the arm rests. Then it struck her; the man was wearing a jester’s uniform. Looking down at the mask and then back up at the man, Anna held out the mask to where the head ought to be. Cocking her head to the side, she smiled at the completed person. Suddenly, the mask smiled back. Anna shrieked and fell back, letting go of the mask. Instead of falling, the mask stayed positioned above the body, floating in mid-air.
 
Anna was too scared to move. The mask did not move for a moment but then it blinked and shook back and forth as if waking up from sleep. The mask looked about the room, all the while the body staying still, until its gaze fell on Anna. It said nothing; it only stared at her. Anna looked back, still feeling scared but now a bit confused. She did not know what to do. After a few moments, she broke the silence.
 
“I am sorry to be wondering around.”
 
The jester sat, its mask smiling back at Anna.
 
“I got lost in the woods. I was being chased by a terrible creature and I came upon this house.”
 
Still there was no movement from the jester. Anna was feeling less and less threatened.
 
“I…um…the house is beautiful.”
 
“I am sorry. Am I disturbing you? I have been practicing.”
 
Anna was taken back by the voice of the jester. “Pardon?”
 
“Have I disturbed you? I have been practicing and I did not want to bother anyone.”
 
“I…sorry, you have been practicing?”
 
“Yes. Practicing for the most wonderful show I shall ever put on. Tonight, I perform for…” The jester stood up proudly and paused for emphasis. “…the king!”
 
“Excuse me for sounding naïve but you have been practicing for a show you are to perform for the king?”
 
“Oh, yes. I have been practicing all day, in addition to the many, many, many hours before. I want my show to be perfect.”
 
Anna was still confused. “For the king?”
 
“Yes, for the king. It is every performers dream to put on a show for the king.”
 
“And you plan on performing tonight?”
 
“Yes. It is like I have said, for the king. I have never performed for him before. Do you not know who he is?”
 
“Oh, I most certainly do. But sir…the king is dead. He has been for many years.”
 
Previously, the jester had been happy and smiling, but in the instant that Anna mentioned the death of the king his face changed to sad and crying, though there were no tears.
 
“O what sorry has stricken me? The king…” The jester fell down at his knees before Anna. “…is dead?” He paused once again to collect himself as best he could. “How did he pass? Peacefully, I hope.”
 
Anna placed her hand consolingly on the jester’s shoulder. “I am afraid he was murdered.”
 
“Murdered! O the pain in my heart! What fiendish creature could have done this to our so beloved king?!”
 
As the jester continued to weep, Anna slowly began to back away from him. She stepped off the carpet and as her foot landed on the marble dance floor, her foot echoed in the large ballroom. At the sound of her foot, the jester stopped crying and slowly looked up at her but now with the same happy smiling face as before.
 
“Hello little girl.”
 
Anna once again was puzzled at the jester.  “H-Hello.”
 
The jester spoke with the kindest voice. “What is your name?”
 
“Anna…it is Anna.”
 
The jester continued smiling and put his hands together, obviously pleased about something. “Hello Anna. I am known as The Mad.” Upon saying his name, he bowed. “I provide those in the world with entertainment.”
 
“Yes, I know.”
 
The Mad was filled with joy at what she said. “So you have heard of me?”
 
“Well, no. Just a moment ago you told me you were going to perform for the king.”
 
“Oh, my dear, do you not know, the king is dead. He has been for many years.”
 
Anna scratched her head at all the confusion.
 
“What a wonderful king he was.” The Mad paused as his face turned to sorrow. “I did perform for him once. I thought it was the grandest show I had ever done. But I was wrong. A messenger from the king dressed in a black cloak and told me that I was banished from his presence forever more. I should have known my fate for only three days after my performance the sky turned dark. Soon after, word came that he was dead. To think, I was with him during his last days and I could not bring him happiness. I have never been the same. Oh I did let him down so.”
 
“There, there. You could not have done so terrible. Besides, what kind of great king banishes someone because of a performance that they could not appreciate?”
 
“You must never speak of the king that way. I got what I deserved…I am such an awful entertainer.” He began to sob once more.
 
“Well, I would love to see a performance.”
 
Instantly the sorrow vanished from The Mad’s face. “You would!?”
 
“Yes. And I think it shall be the greatest show I have ever had the pleasure of attending.”
 
“Oh this is wonderful news!” The Mad began looking around at the floor. “My hat, where is my hat? I could never do a show without my hat.” The Mad then looked up at Anna. “Have you seen my hat?”
 
“I do not believe I have. I only did just meet you and I do not even know what your hat looks like.”
 
“Well this is just perfect.”
 
“Must you have your hat to perform?”
 
The Mad again looked at Anna and spoke very seriously. “Yes, I must.” Slowly, he became more and more energetic with each word. “For it is with my hat that my stunning performance comes to a dramatic and explosive climax. But alas, it all is for not if I do not have my hat.” Falling to his knees, he begins to cry once again.
 
For a moment Anna just watched him. “Well…where is the last place that you remember seeing it?”
 
“I do not know. I just cannot think when I’m upset.”
 
“It must be around here somewhere. How far could a hat have gone?”
 
Anna began to look around the ball room. The Mad got up and went over to the stand where his mask had been and looked at the empty spot set aside for his hat. He sighed as he looked away from it and into the mirror. Leaning in closer, he began to examine his mask.
 
“O just look at these bags…I could never perform like this.” Faintly, in the reflection behind him, a hat slowly faded into sight. Quickly turning around, he yelled out with excitement. “My hat!”  Anna came running over to him.
 
“Wonderful, you found it!”
 
However, the hat was nowhere to be seen.
 
“No, I did not. I was just seeing things.” With a sigh, The Mad turned back to the mirror. Once again, his hat slowly faded into the reflection.  Gasping, he turned around only to not find it again. “O bollocks!”
 
“What is it?”
 
“I saw it again. But then I did not see it.”
 
“I do not think I understand.”
 
“I can see it on the mirror, but if I turn around, it is not really there.”
 
Anna scratched her head in disbelief, but she was also curious. “Let me have a try.”
 
Stepping in front of the mirror, Anna looked at herself and the surrounding background. She saw nothing. Leaning in, though, the hat slowly appeared.
 
“I see it! I see it!”
 
Quickly, she looked over her shoulder, but saw nothing.
 
“So you saw it, too!?”
 
“Yes…hmm. Maybe we should try together, Mad.”
 
Together, the both look into the mirror and sure enough, the hat faded into vision.
 
“There, right there! Do you see my hat?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Now why is it on the mirror but not really out here…” The Mad stood for a moment in deep thought. Suddenly, he snapped his fingers. “Because it is not on the mirror, it is in the mirror!”
 
Reaching over to where his mask was, The Mad twisted the knob and the mirror swung open like a door. Anna looked in to see a hallway lined with mirrors. At the end of the corridor sat the hat.
 
“I remember now. I keep my hat hidden in here so that no one can steal it.”
 
“That is very clever. Hopefully you will not forget next time you need your hat.”
 
“Indeed. Now all you have to do is go in there and get it for me.”
 
“Me, get it for you? You are the one who hid it in there and it is your hat?”
 
“Oh, I do not know the way.”
 
Anna looked down the straight hallway and then back at The Mad. “You do not know the way?”
 
“It is much trickier than it looks.”
 
Anna looked at him, completely sure that he was fibbing. His voice had become very mischievous. 
 
“Do you think I would hide my most precious possession at the end of a straight corridor? Besides, I am much too tall to fit inside.”
 
“This is plenty big enough for you.”
 
“No, no. Trust me. Now would you please be so kind as to retrieve it for me?”
 
Anna looked down the mirrored hallway hesitantly. “Alright. I will get it for you.”
 
“Thank you so much.”
 
As Anna stepped into the space behind the mirror, The Mad laughed quietly. Steadily, she began to walk farther into the hallway. Suddenly, she heard a creaking noise behind her. Anna turned around to find the door slowly closing but quickening in pace.
 
“Wait!”
 
The door slammed closed. Anna ran up to and tried to push it open. Unsuccessful, she began banging her fists on the face of the door.
 
“Let me out!”
 
Anna stood back from the door after her attempts to open it failed. She could hear The Mad laughing outside.
 
“Mad! Why are you doing this?”
 
“Find the hat and it will let you out.”
 
“Do you promise? If I find your hat, you will let me out?”
 
“No. Find the hat and it will let you out.”

 



© 2009 speakingcolors


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on July 3, 2009


Author

speakingcolors
speakingcolors

somewhere outside looking in, PA



About
poet/songwriter/author sometimes I feel so much it hurts. i have all these thoughts running through my head, little segments of a whole that i can't see. most of them never get put down in writ.. more..

Writing