The alternative hymnal

The alternative hymnal

A Story by Martin
"

This is an article I wrote for the local parish newsletter. It concerns choir cong choice.

"
The alternative hymnal by Martin Spielman
 
One of the things I have noticed in all the Episcopal churches I have visited is the fact that there is always some sort of alternate music selection available besides the normal hymnal.  I would like to think that what that points out is Episcopalians respect for tradition and also its far reaching view toward eternity.  Either that or it could be that the traditionalists just have a better voting block.
Either way it started me thinking about what songs I would put in my own alternate hymnal.  Now being rather new to Christian music I decided to forgo that genre and look to the music I am more familiar with, pop music.
A strange concept, perhaps, but what do we codify in hymnals other than songs that stir our souls, and hopefully expand and demonstrate our faith.  In other words not every song has to have the stirring imagery of "Lift high the cross," but if it evokes that spirit and faith then it could go into a hymnal.
 
 
Here is a list of a few of my choices:
1) The man in black (Johnny Cash).  Actually this song does not stray far from the normal hymnal concept since it talks about Jesus and making the world a better place
2) All you need is love (The Beatles)  Were the Beatles inspired God?  After all they do seem to be reiterating Leviticus 19:18
3) A world without heroes (KISS) A beautiful ballad about something the world can't have enough of.  After all what was Jesus if not a hero?
4) Everytime I look at you (KISS) This song echoes all the same concepts of "All you need is love" only 30 years later.
5) I will follow him (Sister Act Sdtk.)  Yes, it's from the soundtrack of a movie with singing nuns.  Now, consider that by simply changing two letters the song fits the criteria for inclusion in the normal hymnal.
6) With arms wide open (Creed) A celebration of life with fatherly warnings.
7) My God (Sister Act Sdtk.) Once again changing guy to God let's us see the ability of pop music to have a transformative effect.  A beautiful ballad now fits all the criteria to fit in the normal hymnal, and I for one would love to hear this one in church.
8) Where you lead (Carole King) Some of you may remember this song as the theme to the Gilmore Girls show and then it appeared on American Idol.  Listen to the lyrics and then consider how closely it parallels the reaction of the Apostles to Jesus call to leave their work to become "fishers of men." (Matthew 4:19)
9) The end of the line (Traveling Wilburys) Dedicated to the late Roy Orbison, this song recognizes the reality that we all get older.
10) I'm only trying to help you (Culture Club)  This song parallels one of the church's ongoing missions, the horrors of drug abuse.
 
 
If nothing else I hope this exercise helps expose different generations to some soul stirring pieces of music.  Music stirs the soul, can bring peace and is a focus for our worship-life.  

© 2014 Martin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
Added on March 28, 2014
Last Updated on March 28, 2014
Tags: episcopal, church, hymnal

Author

Martin
Martin

NJ



About
Editor/Webmaster East Brunswick Special Ed PTA. Letter Carrier. Band parent. Teen wrangler. Avid gardener. more..

Writing
Volunteers Volunteers

A Story by Martin