In Defense of Being Renters

In Defense of Being Renters

A Story by Martin
"

Dealing with "renting" as it applies to a church parish

"
Twice recently Fr. Greg has challenged the Vestry with the question, “Do we want to continue to be renters?” This is an interesting question and one worthy of consideration, but what factors are involved?
There are two types of building use or “rentals,” for lack of a better term, involved at HTEC. The rectory is being used by a local pastor and his family who had their quarters sold out from under them. The church is facing many cost oriented challenges in this situation because of the haste that was required. I have no doubt that in the short term it was the right thing to do. There are inspection costs, tax liabilities and possible other challenges to be faced if we continue to offer this space. The fact is that we did aid a stranger in need, we were the Good Samaritan in this situation.
Our other rental situation is more cut and dry, but also represents challenges and blessings. The parish hall, used most frequently for coffee hour, can be rented by parishioners or the general public. One of the most frequent outside renters is a troupe of local pro wrestlers. The main concern with the parish hall rental is damaged chairs.
Not that chairs would not wear out over time, but accelerated wear and tear has become a valid concern brought to the forefront by some members of the Vestry.
On the positive side of the ledger parish hall rental speaks to our social and charitable side. Recent events in the hall have supported AWOGA, Make-a-wish: New Jersey, Valerie fund, Hurricane Sandy relief, DeSarno Family, Leo's Legacy, Relay for Life and the South River Food Bank. Most of that support would never have materialized without an HTEC parish hall rental.
It should be noted that the Vestry has the right to exercise control of hall rental policy. A recent policy change has called for a broken chair charge and revisions to the hall monitor handbook. In summary, although there are difficulties to overcome I support our status as renters.

© 2016 Martin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

57 Views
Added on August 30, 2016
Last Updated on August 30, 2016
Tags: episcopal, renting

Author

Martin
Martin

NJ



About
Editor/Webmaster East Brunswick Special Ed PTA. Letter Carrier. Band parent. Teen wrangler. Avid gardener. more..

Writing
Volunteers Volunteers

A Story by Martin