Inter Spem Et Metum

Inter Spem Et Metum

A Poem by StacyPerry
"

Title is Latin for "Between Hope and Fear"

"
Inter Spem Et Metum
The memories in my heart are dead,
They were eating me alive and now they're out of my head
I couldn't hold onto my sanity any longer,
So I picked up that bottle you left for me sir
You aided and helped me to end this sad life,
While I received the rope you sent me I grinned while I held a knife
There was a bottle of pills on the counter as well,
I wasn't going to half a*s this as this is my own hell
I made sure to light a candle near the curtain where we used to sit,
Can't you see I'm doing this right this time you silly little s**t
As the noose is tied, the pills are swallowed with the bottle you left,
I take the knife and slice upward as the curtains blaze to bring me to my sweet relief of death.
Copyright 7-3-2010 Stacy Perry

© 2010 StacyPerry


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Strong poem again. As Coyote said suicide poems can be over detailed but this is not over sentimental or too chronological. It's a powerful story told in the form of a poem. I wouldn't call thoughts of suicide empowering but again we must all find our way out, I'd prefer to find another way to cope.

Sad ending, that there's no hope for a tomorrow. Makes me think what the story was leading up to this poem. I like to psychoanalyse, maybe this could be the last in a series of poems, it's an interesting concept:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow this is a dark and sad poem. I have felt that no one should ever have that kind of power over you while they are still breathing. In death it is different for we grieve and that makes us do odd insane things. This is written well and I can picture the scene in my mind. I struggle everyday missing the one I love and never know if I will ever see him in person again but for me at least I can talk to him and be his friends. It is extremely hard but I make it one day at a time. This poem reminds me a Shakespear in modern time for it is dark and dim and about love as well. Tragic is what this poem screams. This is done wonderfully. The flow is easy to follow but the words are hard to read for it sadden me. Emotionally done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suicide is a painful subject full of all kinds of dark emotions and reasons for wanting to die. Relationships or the ending of them are often reasons someone chooses to die. The desire for revenge is strong. This is a powerful and not at all overdone suicide poem. Strong and well written.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Powerfully emotional love!
A brilliantly vivid scene of heartbreak on the page!
Excellent work
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Suicide is just about the most powerful subject you could have picked for a poem and you've done a great job of keeping the poem as strong as the subject.

Although the narrator describes the foolproof method chosen for his/her demise in quite dispassionate way there is evidence of real hatred towards the person who seems to be the cause of this act. This is clearly evident in the sarcasm of, "you left me sir" and even more so in the profanity of, "you silly little s**t". As a reader we don't see what the narrator is doing as something selfish but an act of desperation caused by someone else.

I am a little confused by the way the tense seems to shift in the poem. Initially there's the impression that the narrator is commenting on something that has already happened, the tense is past in phrases such as, "they were eating me alive" and "so I picked up that bottle". But by the end of the poem the description is in the present tense, "Can't you see I'm doing this" and "I take the knife and slice upward". This isn't spoiling the poem it's just something that seems a little off key.

You've done a nice job in this poem of portraying the mix of calmness and desperation that drives the narrator to suicide. I love the title, more Latin please!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Strong poem again. As Coyote said suicide poems can be over detailed but this is not over sentimental or too chronological. It's a powerful story told in the form of a poem. I wouldn't call thoughts of suicide empowering but again we must all find our way out, I'd prefer to find another way to cope.

Sad ending, that there's no hope for a tomorrow. Makes me think what the story was leading up to this poem. I like to psychoanalyse, maybe this could be the last in a series of poems, it's an interesting concept:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A very powerful poem. I'm not a fan of suicide poems. I lived them too many times. Life can look scary and terrible. But we must find the road to be free of the B.S. The description and story was strong.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2010
Last Updated on July 3, 2010

Author

StacyPerry
StacyPerry

Ashtabula, OH



About
I have another profile on here I can not get into, so I had to start a new one. Please read ALL of my Poetry and Writings on this page and my old site on here [in which I have a lot of work.....*a tea.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..