Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

A Chapter by Sammie

I don't really know what happened at school that day. I couldn't concentrate. Daniel wasn't in English that day. He skipped. I knew he did because I asked someone in my class if they'd seen him.

            I didn't ride the bus home like I was supposed to. I walked because it would take longer. I wanted to be near my mom so I could explain. I really did. I just didn't want to be around Gracie. I had never been so disappointed before. That's probably what my mom was dealing with, too. But she didn't understand. She didn't know the real story.

            When I got home, my mom had left a note on the counter that she had gone to pick up Gracie. At least she left a note. The writing was dark, though, so she must've been pressing pretty hard.

            If my mom would just listen to me, she wouldn't have to go through all this. She wouldn't have to be so angry and upset. She was taking this way out of proportion. Nothing ever happened between the two of us. She needed to hear that.

            I was still leaning against the counter thinking about exactly what I would say to her when she got home with Gracie. Gracie saw me and ran immediately upstairs.

            "Mom, I want to talk to you and I want you to listen to me," I said sternly. My mom didn't seem like she wanted to talk any time soon, but she would just have to.

            "Fine." She started making dinner. She didn't look like she was paying any attention at all. I hoped she was.

            "Mom, you're taking this too far. I know what you think happened, so I can understand that. But I'd like to tell you what actually happened." I paused, but my mom went about her business silently. I sighed. "Mom, Daniel and I never did anything. He's just my friend. His mom died a few days ago and he just can't be home right now. He can't be around his dad. He doesn't want to face it. So he's just stayed here. His mom was his best friend. He went through everything with her. Him and his dad aren't close at all. He doesn't want to go home because it will just hurt more being in the house his mom should be in. Doesn't that make sense?"

            I could see it on my mom's face that I'd made a break through. She understood, but I could also see how stupid she felt.

            "That's all I have to say," I said quietly. I turned to go to my room.

            "I'm sorry, Kyland. I assumed too quickly. I should've listened first. You can have Daniel over if you'd like." I was completely taken aback. I only expected silence from my mom; not a response like that. I smiled to myself, though, and ran upstairs to my room. Sure enough, Daniel was on my bed.

            "I'm really sorry, Kyland. I didn't mean to get you in so much trouble. I just needed a place to get away and I took advantage of your hospitality. I feel terrible," Daniel said, standing up and walking toward me.

            "It's fine. My mom just thought we were doing something else. She says you're allowed here, so come downstairs. She won't care. Honest," I said. He didn't look too sure.

            "I think I should just go home for now. I can't hide forever. I'll see you at school, though." Daniel climbed out my window in broad day light and walked home.

            Daniel was different today. There was the slightest hint of tension between us. I had no idea where it came from. I told him my mom was over it. There was nothing left to keep a secret. But he left. He wanted to leave.

 

            Daniel didn't come by for a while after that conversation. He didn't talk to me in English, either.

            My life got boring pretty quickly without him. My mom kept asking where he was and I told her I didn't know, which was definitely the truth. I had no idea where he was these days. I knew where he should be, though. Climbing through my window every day to see me.



© 2009 Sammie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Daniel's mom was his best friend? When did Daniel relay this piece of information to Kyland? Kyland is acting like the adult in her talk with her mom. Up until finding Daniel in her daughter's room, mom didn't seem so childish. I don't understand why Kyland is blaming everything on poor Gracie, she's just a kid, did Kyland really think she wouldn't say anything? Kyland didn't even tell Gracie that Daniel's mother had died. I'm surprised that after the big blowup with Kyland's mother, Daniel would sneak back in uninvited. Was he trying to get Kyland and himself into trouble? Daniel didn't talk to Kyland in English? What language was he speaking?

Posted 12 Years Ago


again, good job here. what is the "everything" daniel went through with his mom ?? a good chance here to answer some questions for your readers. but not give away too much. i sense tension not only between daniel and ky, but perhaps between daniel and his father, spilling over in to this friendship. what's daniel hiding from ?? makes me want to read more. you are definitely coming into a rhythm here and intensity. keep it up.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 14, 2009


Author

Sammie
Sammie

FL



About
I write about love and what I want it to be. more..

Writing
You're Perfect You're Perfect

A Story by Sammie


Baby <3 Baby <3

A Story by Sammie


By Seven By Seven

A Poem by Sammie