Returned Love

Returned Love

A Story by The Doctor
"

Something that came to mind.

"

 I sit up in bed. The back of my hands rub my eyes in an attempt to wipe out the dream...technically memory that haunts me every waking and sleeping moment.
 I get out of bed and out on my sweat pants and walk down to the kitchen for a glass of water. Quietly I sit and remember the dream... Feeling so real and alive, like it had happened only recently but I know it has been years. But I keep looking and moving on with my daily life, some day I will rid of this dilemma.
 Looking at my wrist watch I discover the time being four thirty seven. Not too much longer and there will be work. So I decide to take a shower and have a decent breakfast. When I get out I hear my cell rind, I pick it up off the counter.
 "Hello?"
  "Morning Mr. Grayson. How are you today?"
 "I'm good Susan. How about you?"
 "I'm good. Have another case for you. A sixteen year old by the name of William Cooper, he is being accused of having been an accomplish in the Molotov Cocktail burning of an African American home from a car. The family was sitting together on the front porch when the older brother, also driver, tossed the beer bottle out the window and onto the porch. Both boys are being charged with attempted murder."
 "And what is William saying?"
 "He was picked up by the brother with no knowledge of the brother's intentions."
 "Sounds like we can do a lie detector test tomorrow after i meet with him today."
 "I will be there shortly."
 Hanging up I put on my black suit pants, white dress shirt, black tie, marching color dress shoes and my black blazer. I brush my teeth after an apple and a cup of coffee. Pulling my keys from my pocket I exit my home, suit case in hand, and enter he driver's seat of my black Volvo S 40. I back out of my drive way and head to my office.
 Entering through my door I find Susan behind her desk typing away at the keyboard, copying info front paper file to electronic file.
 "And what are you going to do if our computers go down?"
 "That's why I keep a hard copy," she smiles
 I go into my office and set my case on my desk, I open it and retrieve William Cooper's file from Susan and add it to my case's pouch. I check my watch.
 "Well I'm going to visit our client. I'll be back shortly."
 I leave with my case and re-enter my Volvo, thinking of the best way to arrive at the jail.

The guard examines my suit case; the items I drop in he bin, then uses the hand held detector to make sure the walk through didn't miss anything. My cell is held back, but everything else is given to me and I'm lead to an interview room. I wait about five minutes and my client is brought in, cuffs and escort.
 "You can take the cuffs off. An eighteen year old cannot do much."
 The guard removed the cuffs and left us alone. I open my case and pull out William's file, placing it on the table.
 "William, my name is Harry Grayson; I have been appointed your attorney by the court. I looked at your file and see you have no record. So I see his to be an easy case. But tell me your side of the story so I know what to work with," I smile, hoping it will kind of give him a sense of comfort ability.
 He looks around, debating on how to begin.
 "Here, you say that your brother, John," I look at the file, “picked you up. Start from there."
 "Well," his voice soft," I was at a friend's and my mom said my brother was coming to get me... Only on the way home we took a detour in he part of town you don't travel in at night... Well on the way by he reached into the back and pulled out a beer bottle with a piece of cloth in the top, he lights it and throws it at the African American family on the porch, and then sped off..."
 I lean back in my chair and think.
 "I think our best bet is having you go through a lie detector test. It's practically bullet proof for a case like this. There will be someone watching you as well to make sure you're not cheating the system. But I don't see a problem with you passing. I will have an appointment set up tomorrow and get this over with for you. Sound like a deal?"
 "Yes, thank your Mr. Grayson," Will smile.
 We shake hands as I get up to leave. I exit them room and proceed to the main entrance, and out the door. I step off the side walk, looking both ways to cross the parking lot when several shot ring out... My legs fall out from under me and my mouth opens but no words. I hit the ground, my body sprawling out, my hands and feet twitching with vision that increasingly grows to be blurry.
 My head moves from side to side, not looking for anything but help... And I get the hand from a woman in a skirted business suit. Her heels click and clack as she jogs over to me. When she arrives next to me she places my head in her lap... I looked into her eyes that fill with sadness that rest within her heart.... Then I realize who it is... Sarah...
 "I thought I would never see you again," my voice hoarse.
 Tears run down her cheeks, now realizing who I am...
 "Neither did I," her voice cracked.
 I chuckle lightly, this causes me to cough and spit up blood that now drips from my lips. Pain shoots through my entire body; I clench my teeth and hold my breath until the pain fades. Once it is gone I groan and let out a gust of air.
 "Please stop, an ambulance is coming," the tears become for frequent and the pain in her voice rises.
 "I'm afraid I won't make it love... But I can die a happy man..." i force a smile to my face,” I got to see you," I cough once more, throwing blood from my mouth... Than my world turns black...

© 2010 The Doctor


Author's Note

The Doctor
I know somethings maybe wrong, but if you have an suggestions or comments I'd love to hear them

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice piece. I like a story that has a conclusion, even if it's a sad one. Well constructed overall. good work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


beautiful and sad I liked it

Posted 13 Years Ago


I almost cried when I read the very end.

Very well written, and I enjoyed reading it. You could have had more description as to what was happening when he was shot, and an after scene but this was good

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 8, 2010
Last Updated on December 8, 2010

Author

The Doctor
The Doctor

About
ask away and i'll tell. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by The Doctor


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by The Doctor