1.1

1.1

A Chapter by CBH
"

Important characters are introduced, and Tabitha gets horrible news. This chapter is a little over 3 pages.

"

“Oh, I see,” I say as I twirl around the cigarette between my fingers, smoke dispersing through the air. “You want me to do your dirty work for you.”

“No no no!” The grungy looking man clasped his hands together and leaned forward in the magenta cushioned seat. “That’s not what I’m asking at all! Just a little assistance is what I need. And not a lot at that.”

I thought about it for a quick minute, keeping my guest in suspense. Finally I leaned forward and spoke quietly and slowly. “Why would I get involved in this s**t?”

“I can pay you! Ten grand for...say...ten guys. No! Five! Five is all I need, and you’ll get ten grand, I swear it.” The beads of sweat started to rain down his forehead, and he was clearly terrified. Rightfully so.

“I’m sorry,” I laughed. “Do I look poor to you?” I cocked my head at him, and his eyes widened.

“What?! No, no of course not!”

“Then tell me, what the hell is ten grand going to do for me once I divvy it up amongst my associates?”

His words started to stumble around, not knowing exactly what to say. “I...I…”

“That’s all I needed to hear.” I got up and turned my back to him. Looking at my head guy, I made a clicking sound with my tongue and nodded back at the pathetic fellow. My guy immediately started to walk back there.

“No! No please!” He yelled. “I’ll come up with more money! I’ll...I’ll…” I heard his knees hit the floor as he implored me to see the value of his life. “Please! I’ll just go! Forget it even happened!” With the just a click and the familiar sound of a muffled gunshot, the business deal was cancelled.

I glanced at John, my best subordinate. “Please don’t send me anymore bullshit. I swear I’ll get Javier to kill us both.”

“My apologies,” John dramatically looked at the floor and did bowed slightly.

“Aw, don’t beat yourself up!” I playfully hit his shoulder. “I’m sure better business will pop up soon,” I said.

“It always does,” Javier said as he reholstered his gun. “I’d go crazy if not.”

I smiled. “I know. That was a little present, from me to you. But you’re cleaning it up,” I said while looked at the blood splattered on the marble floors.

“I’ll get Reg to do it,” he said, and went to the kitchen.

“Well,” I started. “I think that means I’m going to take a bath. Care to join me?” I rubbed my hand on John’s chest, which was toned enough to stretch out his button-down.

He bit his lip. “Hard to resist,” he moved closer to me. “...but I should be going now. I have my real job in the morning.”

“Oh, cute. So I’m a side job then?”

“Part time. Can’t handle you full time.” He started to walk away from me. I grabbed his throat and pulled him back towards me. I stared at him for a few seconds, and watched the light reflect within his chocolate eyes for just a moment.

“You are damn lucky I do think you’re cute,” I said, and kissed him on the cheek as I let him go, leaving deep burgundy stains on his black stubble. He winked at me, and stepped over the blood as he left.

I heard Javier rummaging through my refrigerator.

“Help yourself to all of my food!” I yelled.

“Thanks!” He shouted back. I rolled my eyes and walked back to my desk to grab a ponytail holder out of the drawer. I looked at my ex-client on the floor, his eyes open and dead.

“I mean, really I solved your problem. Nothing to worry about now. Some would be envious of that.” I shut the desk drawer and walked down the hall, my golden heels echoing off the floor with every step I take.

I went to the bathroom and turned on the faucet for the freestanding tub. I dumped in capfuls of rose bath salts and scented bubble bath as I got undressed. I folded up my dress, also gold and glittering, and put my hair up.

“Ahh,” I said to myself as I slid in the tub. “I’m so glad he said no.” I stretched back and closed my eyes, letting the salts soak up my sins.


The morning greeted me with sunshine against my satin sheets. It was the only peace I had. As soon as I was dressed I heard phone calls in the main conference room.

I groaned, and stomped out into the hallway. At 9 am my house was empty, and only hired help was outside guarding my gates. In just stockings without any shoes on, I tiptoed on the cold floor to the more private conference room, passing my desk along the way. There was not a single speck of blood to be seen, and the smell of bleach and acid was so well masked that if I didn’t know any better, I would guess that nothing had even happened here.

“I need to give Reggie a raise,” I muttered to myself, and opened the hazy glass door at the side of the room. Inside, the phone rang in a much more deafening tone. I aggressively picked it up.

“Yes?” I said in a clearly annoyed voice.

“Well, good morning to you too,” John answered, slightly amused.

I was not. “Why are you taking my line? Someone else could call.” I said seriously. “Shouldn’t you be making me money?”

“About that…” John started, making me worried. “I’m on a bit of a probation.”

“A what?!” I screamed into the phone. John was our main account manager, and handled much of our transfers, under my supervision of course. His higher position at the bank was essential for us not getting caught with illegal wires.

“Don’t panic, I’ll fix it. I’m on my way over now, so tell your guys not to kill me onsite.” he joked.

“You’re right, I’ll tell them to kill you somewhere else,” I said in a seriously pissed tone. John audibly sighed.

“You just like to worry. I’ll see you in ten.”

I hung up the phone in anger, slamming back into its holder. What a f*****g idiot. He was going to cost me so much money. He’s lucky I didn’t send people after him right now.

That reminded me. I picked up the phone again, much gentler this time, and dialed my security office extension. Mark picked up.

“Yes ma’am?” he asked flatly, obviously seeing my own home caller ID.

“John is arriving in a few minutes in  a black Porsche Macan, this year. Don’t kill him, yet, just let him in. A few guys can escort him to the main hall to see me.”

“Weapons loaded, miss?”

“Always,” I said back, and hung up the phone. I didn’t really want to kill John, but he was such a fuckup. What kind of example would I set if I didn’t? If you sleep with me you can be stupid, make mistakes that might cost me everything I worked my a*s off to get? I couldn’t let myself get taken advantage of like that.

I paced around back at my desk, waiting to see his scumbag face. The floor was cold, but I barely noticed it. It was only a few minutes later, but felt like hours, when I heard the front doors open. I sat back down at my desk, which extended to the floor and kept my feet hidden. John came into my view, with two guards in all black behind him. He was turning red, and looked much more nervous than he did on the phone.

“Tab…” he said to me. “This is really unnecessary. I told you it’s not a big deal.”

“It’s Ms. Walker to you,” I said coldly. He seemed a little shocked.

“It’s going to be fine. I’m gonna fix it. We’re gonna fix it. Together, like always.”

“Hm!” I laughed without opening my mouth. “Of course now you like the word together.”

“What the f**k are you even talking about?” he asked defiantly.

“Watch your f*****g tone!” I yelled, and the guards instinctively raised their guns at John, expecting me to ask for further action against him. “Ugh, I’m not gonna kill him! Not yet, at least! Just go!” I yelled, and they didn’t even flinch. They just turned and left.

“Jesus, Tabitha.” John said, ignoring my earlier comment. “You’re gonna be so much more pissed at...not me...in a minute,” John said, clearly relieved to not have two guns aimed at his head.

“Who then?!” I yelled. “Who am I supposed to be mad at?!”

John’s eyes went to the floor, indicating he really didn’t want to tell me. He spoke very softly: “It’s because of Maverik Clyde.”

I just sat for a moment, eyes blank, as I comprehended the name. I slowly stood up, walking to the side of my desk. I didn’t even pay attention to the cold floor, or that I was without shoes in what I saw as a somewhat formal meeting. John straightened his back out, but was still visibly uncomfortable. Nonetheless, he took a single step towards me.

“Tabitha?” he asked gently, without reaching out to me.

I still just stared for a moment. Then my breath got heavy as my chest heaved forwards, and I screamed as loud as I could. Swatting my crystal lamp off of my desk, it smashed against the wall, leaving dark scratches in the white paint and sending sparkling shards flying all around.



© 2019 CBH


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
Added on January 6, 2019
Last Updated on January 6, 2019
Tags: strong female, illegal, mobs, mobsters, love, drama


Author

CBH
CBH

DE



About
I love writing (as everyone here does) but I want to be a math teacher... if that doesn't describe my life then I don't know how else to put it. more..

Writing
1. 1.

A Chapter by CBH


Sinister Sinister

A Book by CBH


Secrets Secrets

A Book by CBH