The Council

The Council

A Chapter by A.E. VanSell

When I had finished eating, I had eaten twice as much as I thought would fit in my stomach. My mind slogged through each thought, and half of what I heard didn't even register in my brain.


Then the silver haired man I had seen before, tending the fire, came to the table and smiled at me. "Kendra McLane?" He asked, his orange, reptilian eyes kind but curious.


I tensed up and my mind sharpened. "Yes?"


"My name is Embar, I need you to come with me, please."


"Why?" I asked skeptically.


"It is alright, Kendra." Suruli said. "He is on the Council, go with him."


I swallowed and looked at them with wide, pleading eyes. Fear made my heart pound in my ears and I suddenly felt sick.


The old man offered his hand to me. "Your friends may come with you if you wish." He said kindly.


I looked at the small group I had come to know, hope lifting my heart a bit.


Sanna smiled at me and nodded.


Śarat grinned, “Right behind you, Kendra."


“I would not miss it,” Suruli said with a smile.


"I was going there anyway." Havala drawled.


I ignored Havala and gave a small smile to the other three, I'd only known them a few hours and yet I was insanely glad that they were supporting me. It gave me the courage my pounding heart needed, so I nodded. "Okay." And I took Embar's hand.


Once I did, I thought I could hear music, soft caring music that made me want to relax and trust this man.


I tugged my hand from his with wide eyes, and the music stopped. "Are you doing that?" I asked.


"Doing what, my dear?" He said, his eyes still kind and hiding nothing.


I shook my head. "Nothing, nevermind. Lead the way."


Embar nodded and walked out, I followed behind.


He led us all back to the Head House where another old man and two old women sat around one end of the fire pit. Embar had me sit at the other end of the pit before he took his place with the other wizards. Now I say they were old, but to be honest their ages looked closer to fifty. The only thing that hinted at their true age was the wisdom and years in their eyes.


The women were both very different. The first had dark skin and long black hair, her eyes were feline and hazel green. The second was Asian with short black hair that feathered itself around her pointed face. Large, yellow eyes like an owl studied me through the flames as she fiddled with the short knife around her neck. The other man had olive skin, but he was big, his strong arms covered by a robe similar to Havala's. His stern face regarded me with pale fish eyes, grey like the hair that was pulled away from his face.


"What is your name, child?" The first woman said.


I swallowed and fiddled with the hem of my dress. "Kendra McLane."


"I am Pāci," she said and gestured to the woman and man next to her. "This is Mōdada and Taranga. And I see you have already met Embar."


I nodded. "Nice to meet you all."


"How old are you?" Mōdada chirped, her voice high like a bird.


"I turned twenty-five today."


"So you have not changed yet." Taranga grunted in a deep voice. It wasn't a question.


I shook my head.


"Do you know your race?" Embar asked.


I nodded. "Human."


The group said nothing, they only stared at me for a long time.


I started to feel uncomfortable and so I looked down at my hands.


Finally Pāci spoke. "How were you born?"


I looked up at the odd question. "What kind of question is that?”


“Do you have an answer?” Pāci asked again.


I scowled, “Of course not! I was adopted.”


"From where?" Taranga asked.


I glared at him and crossed my arms, "Scotland."


His eyes narrowed. "Scotland....that is not in Avondale."


I rolled my eyes, "I'm not from Avondale. I told you, I'm human.”


"She has obviously gone mad." Mōdada twittered. "Making up these ridiculous places."


"Hush, Mōdada," Embar scolded gently.


"I remember something my father told me long ago." Taranga said gravely. "Before the Drake War."


Everyone focused their attention on the old man.


"During the time when the Gates were open," He began. "My great grandmother traveled there and came across a magnificent lake that fed the sea. So enchanted she was with the dark water and the green hills surrounding it that she stayed there. She left her husband with my father and uncles, never to return again." His grey eyes turned to me. "Father said the lake had been called Loch Ness by the local humans, and the place was named Scotland."


I nodded. "There is a legend of a creature that lives in the loch." I said. "None have been able to prove that one does."


Taranga sighed. "Even if that place was real and my father had not made it up to explain the disappearance of my grandmother, you cannot be from there."


"Why not?" I demanded.


"Because the gates of the human world have been closed for nine hundred years." Pāci said. "No one can leave Avondale, and no one can come here."


"But I did!" I said standing up, my fists clenched in anger. "Something brought me here. Something....horrible. It dragged me here against my will, and now I need to get home. Back to my world, to my family."


Pāci stood up, her feline pupils small slits as she regarded me. In a burst of speed she was in front of me, holding my face close to hers as her nostrils flared.


I could feel the strength in her grip, so I held still, fear curdling my stomach.


Her eyes narrowed, "You do not smell like a dragon,” she said. "You smell like something else, but underneath the smell is something familiar."


She looked to the other three and nodded, they took that as some kind of signal and stood.


Embar held my arms to my sides with strength that I knew wasn't possible.


Mōdada took my left hand and forced me to hold it out.


Taranga took the small knife at that hung from his neck and sliced his palm without flinching. As the blood dripped off his hand I felt the blood in my veins moving, or rather making it so that I could not move.


What is happening? I screamed in my head. My jaw was locked so I couldn't make a sound.


Pāci took out her knife as well and met my eyes. "I am sorry child, but we must know."


My eyes widened and I fought as hard as I could against the chains that were my blood. No! Don't do it please! Nothing good ever happens when I bleed!


Across the room from me, the double wooden doors blew inward to reveal a dark room.


"Enough." A calm, deep voice made of velvet came from the room.


The knife froze, everyone looked up and I couldn't help but stare at the man who stepped out.


His feet were bare and his clothing black. Loose pants hugged his strong looking legs, a loose, white, long sleeve shirt under a black tunic covered his broad shoulders and long torso, and a silver knife hung from a silver chain around his neck.


His face was lightly tanned, a square jaw shadowed with dark stubble, a straight nose, violently purple eyes framed by long black lashes and thick eyebrows. Thick black hair covered his head and its length was enough to fall into his eyes, making him look dangerous.


He walked over to me, holding my eyes with his violet gaze. "Calm down." He said, putting a hand on my shoulder.


A symphony blasted through my mind. Drums and strings, horns and guitar. Voices sang in angelic harmony as I stared into those violet eyes. My blood released me, and I let out a great breath of relief. My anger went away and my exhaustion returned.


"You must be Kendra." He said with a frustrated sigh. "I will deal with you in the morning." He looked to the group behind me. "Sanna, find her a place to sleep and some proper clothes." He ordered before turning away and walking back into his black room, the doors closing behind him.


A warm hand touched my shoulder and my head was filled with the sound of bongos, violins, and saxophone.


"Kendra?" Sanna asked. "Are you alright?"


I shook my head. "Who was that?" I asked, but I already knew.


"Nisvārtha Shade."



© 2017 A.E. VanSell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

52 Views
Added on February 14, 2017
Last Updated on February 14, 2017