Date 3

Date 3

A Story by Steve Clark
"

Writings whilst flying from Adelaide to London.

"

She had the kind of golden, curly hair that invites you like an open curtain into the shadow behind her green eyes. Her lips, when curled at the end, created the simplest dimples across cheeks.

 

“Want to head elsewhere?” she smiled, her tongue licking her bottom lip.

 

I nodded, grabbing my jacket and leading the way around the outstretched legs from the many bar stools. At the door, I opened and stepped back to let the door swing open, only to step sideways, nearly onto her exposed toes. Quickly, adjusting, I caught her eye and that wry smile.

 

“Goofy, but in a charming way,” I imagined her thinking. What would I know what was on her mind?

 

“Where shall we go?” she asked, turning as I caught up to beside her.

 

“There’s a cute alleyway that takes us to the Hill.”

 

“We can see the city from there. Sounds nice.”

 

We walked in comfortable silence until I pointed out the alley, the one adorned with murals of the 70’s. Our feet padded the cobblestones as we focused our feet on hitting the flat parts. My arm brushed hers as they swung in opposition, though she switched to swing in time with mine. Soon our fingers intertwined, finding their counterparts. Her hands, like mine, dotted with sweat. I did not mind. We zigzagged up the hill, following the dirt path for the most part. As we neared the top, her humming started, the same sort of tone I had heard on the train the morning we first met. I leant a little her way, madly deciphering the tune, or at least attempting. It seemed to be, however, a new melody, capturing the view of the city before us. A melody for the moment, never heard before, never repeated.

 

She leant her head on my arm as we stopped, the only couple on the Hill.

 

A couple. That idea felt warm inside, acknowledging for the first time that we were an item.

 

“What’s your favourite part of the city?” I whispered.

 

“Hmm. The way the landscape leads from the buildings down to the coast.”

 

“Deep.”

 

“Yours?” She snuggled in closer.

 

I didn’t have an idea as amazing as hers. “The mountains to the right.”

 

“Cool. Cool, cool, cool.”

 

We gazed for a while, then shifted position as others joined us; dog walkers, families, groups in some fitness get up. I turned my neck to notice a little waft of lavender �" not from her hair, but someplace else. I closed my eyes and sucked air in, lifting my chest.

 

And for the first time in a while, my soul felt truly alive.

© 2019 Steve Clark


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A nice work. Hole theres more. Thanks fir posting

Posted 1 Year Ago


Nice. Will there be a date 4? Or were those golden hair and green eyes also a mean for getting your hero's soul in some other dimension, higher up? lol

Posted 4 Years Ago


Aww, too cute :) Why didnt we hear about dates 1 & 2? Enjoyable read

Posted 4 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

315 Views
3 Reviews
Added on October 22, 2019
Last Updated on October 22, 2019

Author

Steve Clark
Steve Clark

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia



About
A free spirited educator who dabbles in the art of writing novels and articles. more..

Writing