Snowed In

Snowed In

A Story by Lauren
"

its kinda like a mild romance story... very mild... but cute, i do say so myself. Very, VERY sad though

"

Chapter 1 Introduction

 

       Erin!” Come down here now!” Her mother yelled to her up the stairs.

       Erin and her family had just moved from Louisiana to Minnesota last week. Erin was sixteen years old and in her senior year. It was December and the first week of school. 

       Obedient, Erin came down the stairs and into the kitchen.  She sat down and silently started to eat her blueberry pancakes.  Finally her mom spoke up, “Why are you so quiet today?” she asked.  “Usually you’re chatting on and on about those weird dreams you always have, or something random.”    Erin shrugged. “Maybe I’m just nervous.” She said, continuing her breakfast.

       “Oh, and that’s unusual.” Her mom commented, sarcastically.

       Erin got up. “Mom, . . . please . . ."  She grabbed her backpack and slung it over her shoulder.

       “You plan to walk to school?” Her mom asked. 

       “Yeah, sure.”

       “In this weather?”

       “Ummm . . . it’s not really that far away. Like, five minutes, maybe.”

       “Okay . . . well, bye.”

       “See ya!” Erin casually yelled back as she walk through the doorway.

 

Chapter 2 Annaiyah

 

       “Thank you.” Erin politely responded as the principal handed her a note for her new teacher.  She left the principal’s office and went down to room B379. In the doorway, the new girl stood as a shadowy figure shut out from the world.

       Erin was a pretty girl. She had naturally curly, nutmeg colored hair, illuminated brown eyes, and an attractive smile, not to mention her fair but manageable complexion. It had a kind of tropical, balmy, island girl look to it. She thought about this as she compared herself to other girls.  She also noticed that majority of the students were eighteen, and a couple of seventeen year olds.

       Suddenly, Mrs. McCoyy looked over at her, and her face brightened with a smile. “Ahhh! Erin, you’re here at last! Let me guess, Florida?”

       Erin shook her head.

       Hawaii?”

       She shook her head again.

       California?”

       “Mm Mm” Erin shook her head. “Louisiana.”

       “Hm. I never would have guessed. Class, this is Erin Pace, she will be joining us this year.”

       Everyone looked over at her. Only one had caught her eye, one guy in the front. He had curly, soft brunette hair, and vivid, enchanting, kind, sky blue eyes. He looked tall, strong, and had a very nice, almost practiced smile. He also looked benevolent, but threatening at the same time. Erin fell into her dreamy state.  When she shook out of her stare, she smiled at the class, only to see three people smiling back: that one guy in the front, and two other girls in the back.

       “Annaiyah,” The teacher called on one of the girls that were smiling. “Raise your hand dear.” Annaiyah raised her hand. “Erin, please go sit next to the girl that is raising her hand.”

       Erin handed the teacher the note that the principal gave her. She went and sat down in the available seat that was right next to Annaiyah. Annaiyah dropped her arm and then stuck it out at Erin. “Hi, my name’s Annaiyah Post, but you can just call me Annie, most people don’t but you can.”

       To this, Erin just smiled. Then Mrs. McCoyy handed her a giant textbook, a workbook, and a notebook.

       Finally, class resumed.

 

Chapter 3 David and Lana

 

       As Erin and Annaiyah were walking to their lockers, which were ironically right next to each other, nobody smiled or introduced their selves; no friendly gesture was attempted. 

       At lunch, Erin saw that one guy that she had first noticed, sitting next to another girl . . . a pretty girl.

       This girl that Erin had automatically took a disliking to, had wavy, golden hair with red highlights, she was slightly tan, and had very gorgeous green eyes.

       “Who are they?” Erin asked Annaiyah, nodding her head towards the two.

       “That’s David, and that’s Lana. They’re “together”, or so she likes to brag.

       “What’s there to brag about?”

       A sassy cheerleader sitting right next to Erin spoke up.  “Uh! Don’t even play pretend.”

       Erin looked over at Annaiyah, who just shrugged.

       “Ummm . . . play pretend?”

       “Don’t play dumb.  The way you starin’ at him with those googly eyes, whole the state of Minnesota knows you like ‘im.”

       “Who couldn’t?” Erin let out a big sigh and fell back into her dreamy state.

       “Uh uh, girl.  You gotta wait in line.”

       “ . . . line?”

       “Oh yeah! For David, there’s a line longer than the wall of China, and girl, there’s no cuttin’”

       Erin, not knowing how to respond to this, just nodded her head.

       The sassy cheerleader finally left.  Leaving the two alone at the table.

       “Well, that was weird.” Annaiyah commented.

       “Ummm . . . yeah . . . just a little. People here are really dramatic!”

 

Chapter 4 Snowed In!

 

       By the next month, January, Erin was known throughout the school.  She was also totally rejected by all the girls because they were envious of her charisma, and bubbly, outgoing personality. So, she just hung out with Annaiyah, as she was a complete social reject as well.

       Lately, outside of school, the news had been announcing threats of a blizzard. 

       So, during Pre-Algebra, it started to snow like usual, that’s when it started.  The snow started to fall more heavily, blanket after blanket, covered the grass and captured the sun.  The sky became darker and dreary.  I guess some would say, no big.  Then the power went out.  This is probably when they would get suspicious.  All the kids started to scream, and such.

       “Hasn’t this happened before?” Erin asked.

       “Yeah, it has.” Annaiyah answered.

       “Then why is everyone going insane?”

       “Because we are immature, childish seventh graders, remember?”

       Erin giggled.

       “Don’t worry.” Annaiyah assured.  “They’ll settle down eventually.  I’m sure the teachers will become very irritant soon.”

       Time passed.  Snow piled.  Girls started rumors.  Boys used the hallway as a sports field.  Teachers gave up.  Things got out of hand.

       When the end-of-school bell rang, the snow had blocked every exit.  Moore chaos then imaginable happened. 

       The principal called for an all-school meeting in the chapel.  All the kids were instructed to stay quiet, and they all did as they were told. 

       “Everyone!” He yelled.  The microphones were dead, due to the outage of the power.  “Stay calm, usually people would say at this time, that everything’s okay, but frankly, everything’s not okay.   As you all know, all the exits are blocked.  You may be thinking, can’t our parents come and dig us out?  Well, not to scare you, but no, not yet.  Not until . . . possibly . . . well, we’re are still not sure; all sources of communication are dead.”

       A wave of gasps, spread throughout the chapel. When it died down, the principal started talking again.  “I don’t want anyone acting up, running into the kitchen and stealing food, or eating anything.  Wee are going to set a teacher on guard for the kitchen and vending machines.  As you all orderly file out of here, tell a teacher your chosen buddy . . . “  Erin and Annaiyah linked arms. “ . . . and you will be handed a flashlight.  Only use it for emergencies; after a while, the batteries will run out.  You are free to roam around the school. Have fun?” 

 

Chapter 5 The Band

 

       All the boys automatically ran to the gym and “dodge ball” was yelled from the mouth of every middle school guy there. In the lobby, the girls all gathered to pray.  The little kids, fifth grade and lower, loitered on the top floor.  When the girls were done, they dispersed; from that, Erin and Annaiyah broke off. 

       “Hey Erin!” Annaiyah jumped in front of Erin.   “No body else knows this, but the band is practicing in the chapel.” 

       “I thought they all quit, on account of the huge argument one of them started.”

       “Well, I guess they got back together.”

       “Who’s actually in the band?”

       “All I know is that Lana and David are.”

       The girls screamed at the same time and started to race up the stairs.

 

       “Oh my gosh! He is so good!” Erin sighed, sinking into her dreamy state again.  She jumped up. “You know, I sing too.”

       “Unfortunately, they’re not looking for singers, they’re looking for instrumentals. 

       “Well, I play guitar.”

       “So does David! He sings, plays electric and acoustic, and plays the piano.” 

       Erin smiled, then she stood up and walked over to the double doors.  She opened them both, to make a dramatic entrance.  The band stopped playing.

       “Hey!” Erin casually called. “Anymore openings?”

       “No, we don’t nee-“

       “Yeah! We have an opening for electric!” David answered, interrupting Lana. 

       “So leave!  I know a geek like you can’t play guitar, or I don’t know anything.” Lana crossed her arms.

       “Lana, you don’t need a bet to make that obvious.”

       “OOOOOOOOOOO Burn!”  The band members echoed.

       “So leave!  We don’t need you.”

       “No! No . . . I want to hear her play.”

       Erin, happier that any other girl in the world, ran to the stage.

       “You got a pick?” David asked her, as he handed her his guitar.

       “Always.” Erin commented, taking one off the key chain around her belt loop. 

       “You know . . . Iron Man by Black Sabbath?”

       Erin started to play it.

       David nodded his head.  “Anyone that can hold a guitar can do that one!” Lana announced.  Her remark was ignored. 

       “How about . . . Walls, by Emery?”

       Erin started to play.

       “See, no pro-“

       “Shhh! Wait for the sweet solo.”  Once again, he interrupted Lana.

       As Erin played the extremely hard, expert solo, David smiled, and started to nod.  As that happened, Lana gave Erin the look of death, like if she had the power of ping-pong ball vision, Erin would be pelted to death. 

       “What’s My Life by Aerosmith?”

       Erin played.

       “Alright, last song: Playing With Fire by Emery.”

       Erin played.

       David clapped.  Erin,”  Her heart fainted once he said her name.  “you are, by far, the best guitar player I have ever personally heard.  You’re better that me.”

       “Is that even possible?” She sighed.

       David laughed. At this, Erin almost dropped his guitar.  His laugh was not some obnoxious laugh, to her, it was a light-hearted laugh, full of merriment and genuineness, and factuality.  A very rare laugh to find, she noted. 

       “You’re in, and if Annaiyah wants to try out for something, she can.”

       Annaiyah stepped into the room, and slowly headed towards the stage, without a word.  David smiled. “Do you play any instruments?”  Annaiyah shyly nodded her head.  “Piano.”  She answered. 

       “Sweet, we have someone on keyboard, but not piano.  How many years of experience?”

       “Six.”

       “Awesome.”  He then turned to Erin, “I forgot to ask you, how many years of experience do you have on guitar?”

       “Two.”

       “Seriously, how many?”

       “Seriously, two.”

       David laughed again.  “How did you get so good?”

       “I don’t know.  My life is my guitar.”

       David smiled at her, Erin smiled back.  For Erin, this was a very uncomfortable moment, but also one of the most important moments of her life, and she wasn’t going to pass it by.

       Suddenly, Lana moved over to David and linked her arm with his. This woke him up a little.  He unlinked.  “Congrats to you and Annaiyah, you make the band my friends.” He gave Erin a small hug.  Erin, maladroitly, clumsily, and somewhat casually, hugged him back.  Right when he let go, her heart fainted and her legs gave away; she literally fell into his arms. 

       “Steady there.”  He said as he caught her. ‘

       “Sorry, I must of tripped on a cord.”

David smiled. Erin, let out a big sigh, smiled, giggled, and then skipped down the aisle of the chapel, and out the doors.  Everyone just stared. 

       “Well that was weird.”  One of the drummers commented.

       “So, when’s our next practice?”  Annaiyah asked.

       “I don’t know.  We all hang out in a group, and we’ll randomly stop by and start playing.  So you girls could walk by sometimes and see if we are in here.”

       Annaiyah smiled and nodded her head, and then left.

 

Chapter 6 Scavenger Hunt

 

       Erin!” Annaiyah gasped when they finally entered the stairwell. “You, like, fainted!”

       “I’m sorry, okay!  It was a once in a lifetime experience, and be content that I didn’t faint, if not die. I’m sure you would’ve done the same thing.”

       “Point taken.  Sooooo, what do you want to do?” 

       “I’m not sure.  Your brain kind of turns into a salty puddle of peach gak when you end up trapped in your school of all places with soon-to-be-crazy kids, for who knows how long, and to figure out that you’ve actually impressed the love of your life/ the most gorgeous man on Earth, to join his band, and to make his “girlfriend” jealous doesn’t help much either.”  She answered logically, and taking very few breathes. “It does make you happy to impress the love of your life/ the most gorgeous man on Earth, to join his band, and to make his “girlfriend” jealous, but it leaves an empty feeling inside.  Maybe I’m hungry.”

       “But we can’t eat until it’s time, can’t you wait?  Plus, there are teachers on guard at every food station.”

       “Not every food station, come on!” Erin said, starting to run downstairs to the basement floor of the school.

       Annaiyah followed.  “Where are you leading me?”

       “Two weeks ago, my dad and I ran the concession stand for the basketball game.”  Erin stopped in front of a door.  “This is it.”

       “That’s the concession stand?”

       “No, this is the closet where they store all the food and drink for it.” 

       “Then, wouldn’t it be locked?” 

       Erin looked at the knob.  “Dang!” She started to walk down the hallway.

       “Now where are we going.”

       “On a scavenger hunt.”  Erin smiled.

       “What, a scavenger hunt? What do you mean?”

       Erin ran into the school office.  Annaiyah stayed outside of it.  Erin rummaged through papers and desks, until she finally grabbed the keys and held them up high so that Annaiyah could see.  “Got them!”  She accidentally yelled.  Her eyes became wide, realizing that if they were caught, they’d be in huge trouble.  Erin ran out of the office, where Annaiyah joined her, down the hall, and into the janitor’s closet. 

       “Gosh, that was clo-“

       Erin automatically covered Annaiyah’s mouth; she took it as a hint.

       Outside they heard, “No sneaking into the office!  Where are you kids?  Get out!”    The voice sounded frustrated, apparently due to the other kids.

       Finally the nagging voice faded, and the girls snuck into the storage closet.

 

Chapter 7 Warped Back to Reality

 

       “I can’t see, it’s so- ouch!”  Erin said.  She hit her head on something that swung away and then back at her, hitting her in the face.  The small storage closet was midnight black, and somewhat haunting.

       “Pull it!” Annaiyah suggested.

       Erin pulled the small, cold chain.  She whipped her head away, the light shined in her eyes.  “Well that worked.”  She said sarcastically.  “Hey look, Lay’s!”  Erin shuffled over to the ax that contained mini bags of chips.  She pulled out a Lay’s bag and started to eat.  Suddenly, her recognition grew, and she was warped back into reality.  Erin dropped the bag.  “Oh my gosh! We are trapped in a school for who knows how long, and all I’m worried about, is scarfing down Lay’s, making Lana jealous, and trying to look good in front of David!”

       “And you just figured that out?”  Annaiyah asked.

       “Yeah!  All by myself!”  Erin grinned.

       “Alright then, let’s blow this popsicle stand!”  Annaiyah announced.  They both giggled, then Erin commented, “Never again.”

 

Chapter 8 Hanging With the Band

 

       “Oh hey you guys!”  Erin greeted as the band turned the corner.  “Can we join your little groupie today?”

       Lana looked appalled. 

       “What?”

       “I can’t believe that you have the audacity to ask us!”  She answered, apparently enjoying the way she was emphasizing the words. 

       “Sure,”  David shrugged.  “You can join us.”

       Erin smiled weakly, and then stuttered while thanking him. 

 

       As the group was walking, there was a very uncomfortable silence.

       “ . . . so . . . “  David broke.  Erin,”  her heart was now skipping around with ecstasy.  “you seem pretty calm about this whole thing.”

       “Honestly, the whole circumstance hasn’t completely registered in my mind yet, but soon enough, the recognition of this grave situation we are victims of, will click on in my brain, and then I’ll start acting all serious, mature, and boring, and stuff.”

       David laughed.  “That’ll be quite a sight.”

       “So, there really isn’t much to do, being trapped in a school and all.”  

       “We could play truth or dare!”  Annaiyah perked up.

       “Don’t you think we’re a little old for that?”  Lana criticized. 

       “Maybe a little, but there is really nothing else to do.”

       Everyone agreed.  So they all returned to the chapel, and formed a circle on the ground.  Most people chose truth, because people could make up pretty mean dares.  Everyone also received the question: is it true that you like someone in this circle?  The only people that answered yes, was Lana, David, and Erin.  Soon, it was David’s turn. 

       “David, do you like two girls, or one lucky girl?”  Lana asked, smirking and Erin.  David looked over at Erin, who’s head was bowed, then he looked over at Lana, then back at Erin.  He then, bowed his head, “One girl.”  He answered. 

       From then on, all the questions were aimed at David, to narrow down the girl.  It was clear to them that he had second thoughts about Lana, or maybe third thoughts. 

       “Do you like Lana?”  Annaiyah asked.

       David did that whole, looking thing again.  Then, he took a big breath.  “ . . . No.”  He plugged his ears. 

       Lana screamed.  “That means . . . do you like-“

       “I’m sick of this game!”  One of the boys whined.  “Can we please go race in the hallway or something?” 

       Erin and Annaiyah willingly jumped up and hurried out with the rest of the band, leaving Lana and David alone in the chapel. 

       “I thought you liked me . . . “  Lana started to tear up.

       David stood up.  “Knock it off, Lana.  We both know you took acting lessons.”  She stopped.  “How do I say this?”  David scratched the back of his neck and then put his hand on his head and looked down on her.  “I’m going to say it right out, not like it’s going to hurt your feelings or anything, but you are very self-centered, and extremely mean to everyone . . . especially Erin.”

       “Oh of course, and now you’re sticking up for her!”  David sat down again.  “It was wrong of me to lead you on, I’m sorry about that, but you really have to be nicer to other people every once in a while, or more than that would be great.”

       Lana started to whine, but if you don’t like me, then that means you like that geeky, annoying Erin.”

       “It doesn’t mean anything!”  David stood up, starting to get defensive. 

       Lana stood up. “Do you, or do you not, like Erin?”

       “I don’t know!  For once in your life, would you just leave me alone!”  David walked out the door; intentionally going the opposite direction the band went, leaving Lana heart-broken and alone in the chapel.

 

Chapter 9 The Beginning of the End

 

       They all carried on like this for 1½ months, then the food became scarce.  The principal called for another meeting in the chapel.

       “Nobody but the teachers, and a couple of devastated students know this:  Five kids have frozen to death already.”  He pulled out a Kleenex.  “Two babies and 3 toddlers.”

 

***GASP***

 

      

       “I really don’t know what to say,” He continued, and then started to cry.  “We’re doing all that we can.  I’m sorry.  Depart.” 

       Everyone but the band got up and left the room. Once again, they got into a circle, and started to tell each other about some of their really weird dreams and stuff. Ironically, David and Erin were directly across from each other, and both their heads were down. Then, right as he looked up, she raised her head, and at the same moment, they found that they were both gazing into the other person’s eyes; David into her brown, adventurous eyes, and Erin into his sparkling, blue, attractive eyes.  And at that moment, Erin became more mature and conscious about her feelings, and her recognition about the grave situation they were victims of, clicked on in her brain, and David fell under her accidental spell.  Right as Lana started to tell her dream, Erin suddenly got up and ran out of the Chapel. 

       “Wow, she is so rude.  You defin-“  Lana stared, then David got up and ran out too.

 

       Erin!”  David called.  He couldn’t see or hear her anywhere.  Erin!”  He sighed, looked both ways, just in case she was there, and then turned around and entered the Chapel.

       The band eventually left, and Erin slipped in.

 

Chapter 10 Edelweiss

 

       Erin!?”  David called as the band walked down the hallway.

       “Oh will you give it a rest!?”  Apparently she doesn’t care.”  Lana announced.  David walked away from the group and kept calling for Erin. 

       Finally, while he was switching floors, he heard something, music.  He stopped and listened.  Someone was playing the guitar.  David looked into the Chapel, where he saw Erin.  Her head was tilted to the side, staring at her fingers, and he recognized the song instantly.

       David quietly entered the Chapel, and snuck up behind her.  Again, he stopped and listened.  Erin was now singing.  Her soft voice harmonized with the sweet music.

David grabbed a guitar that was right next to him, and he started to play and sing along with her. Erin spun around, in neither singing, nor playing, did she break one note.  When she saw that it was David playing, she did not smile; she had a surprised, scared facial expression. 

       When they both finished off the song.  Erin gently set down the guitar and started to quickly walk down the stair of the stage, meaning to rush out of the Chapel.  David grabbed her hand, and a sudden shiver traveled through her body.  Erin turned her head towards him. 

       “I was wondering . . . would you go out with me?”  David asked, shyly.

       Erin thought a moment.  “David, we’re trapped in a school, kids are dying, our food supply is dangerously low, and all you’re worried about, is getting a date!?  Where are we going to go, a lovely trip to the teacher’s lounge?” Erin blew up at him.  “I’m sorry David, but I’m trying to be brave, and to stay alive here, I really don’t need any distractions, I’m sorry.”  And with that, she released her hand, and ran out of the Chapel.

 

 

Chapter 11 Trying to be Brave

 

       Throughout the next month, the Principal had called more meetings, announcing that more and more people had starved of frozen to death, three of the band members were included; until finally, the population of the school, had gone from 389, to 27.  One day, as David was wandering on his own, he heard someone singing softly, and he recognized that it was Erin.  She was singing Citizen Soldiers by Three Doors Down.  David cocked his head to stay out of sight, and to see her.  Erin was sitting on the ground, leaning against a wall; she had her knees up, and her arms wrapped around them.  David walked over and looked down at her.  Erin wiped away a tear as she looked up.  At the sight of David, she slowly got to her feet. 

       Erin looked up at him, “Im just trying-“

       “ . . . to be brave.” David finished.

       Erin walked closer to him, and then rested her forehead on his shoulder, and started to cry.

       “Shhh . . . it’s going to be alright, he said, taking her hands. “We’re going to make it through this.”

       “How can I be sure?”  Erin sobbed.

       “Do you trust me?”  David asked, looking her in the eyes.

       Erin just stared at him.  She didn’t know what to say.  She finally responded, “ . . . with my life.”

       David smiled.  “That’s how.”

      

Chapter 12 Cold

 

       Since then, the population went from 27, to six, Lana was included.  Although it may sound surprising, it was a huge blow to David, Erin, and Annaiyah; the only three left in the band.

       “David!!!”  Annaiyah yelled, as she entered his room on the basement floor. 

       “What!”  David abruptly woke up.

       “You-“  Annaiyah caught her breath. “You’ve got to come quick!  Kenya just died, and Erin won’t wake up!”

       David jumped up and ran up the stairs, with Annaiyah trailing behind him. He entered the Chapel, where the girls were sleeping, and kneeled down beside Erin. 

       Erin?”  He whispered softly.  Erin, time to wake up now. It’s me, David.  C’mon, please wake up.”

       Annaiyah started to cry, and she looked away. 

       David enclosed her hand in his.  Erin, please wake up.”  He whispered again.  Erin slightly opened her eyes. “David?”  She asked, weakly.

       “Oh thank God!”  David announced.  Annaiyah looked back at Erin, and went over to her.  David sat her up.  “What’s wrong?”  

       “It’s so cold.”  She whispered.  David took off his own coat and put it on her, he wrapped his arms around her.  “ . . . We’re going to make it through this, remember?” Erin nodded her head.  “Alright, I gotta take you somewhere else.”  David picked Erin up, and left the Chapel, with Annaiyah following them. 

      

       David kicked open the door to the Principal’s office.  “Sir, Kenya just froze in the Chapel, and there’s another one on the way.” 

       Annaiyah gasped.  “ . . . David . . .”

       “I see it.”  He answered.  “Looks like we’re the only ones left.”

       “What are we going to do?”

       David walked out of the Principal’s office, and set Erin down.  “You stay and watch her.”  David commanded.

       Annaiyah kneeled down right next to Erin.  She watched David walked over to the school entrance, then she looked back down at Erin.  Erin was struggling to breath, and she was very pale.  David ran over to them.  “Ive got an idea!”  He announced, excitedly.

       Erin and David took turns, one watching Erin, while the other went around collecting access food, blankets, mittens, 3 duffel bags, water bottles, and so on.  They packed everything up. 

       “Wait . . . so what are we doing?”  Annaiyah asked.

       David motioned her to follow him as he walked back over to the entrance.  He swung opened the door, and started to dig at the top of the door.  “It’s gotten warmer, so the snow is no longer frozen; so now, we can dig our way out.” 

       Annaiyah started to dig as well, “Well, what about Erin, we can’t just leave her here.”

       “We’re taking her with us, hands down.”  David answered.

       “But she’s in the process of freezing to death inside, wont it be more of a possibility she will die out there?” 

       “So, if she’s going to eventually die here, then why don’t we at least try to get somewhere warm, like a house or something.  If she dies either way, then we have nothing to lose.  Now can we please stop talking about it.”

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 13 Survival of the Warmest

 

       David, carrying Erin, and Annaiyah climbed out of the dreaded school.

They both shielded their eyes with their arms.  Surprisingly, the ongoing blizzard had kept the snow as high as it was, the whole time they were trapped in the school. 

       “Where do we go?!”  Annaiyah shouted over the roaring snowstorm.

       “The police station across the road.”  He yelled back.

       “Where’s that?!”

       David turned back to the entrance, and then pulled out a compass from his pocket.  He pointed east.  “That way.”

       On and on, they trudged their way, with the help of perseverance, and determination.  Many a time, Annaiyah would suggest forgoing the whole mission, and just lying there to die, David would half-heartedly encourage her to press on.  He absolutely refused to give into the willpower of the violent storm.  Each minute, an hour; each hour, a day, as they were maliciously attack by the bitter winds of the storm.  Each time one would fall, the other would help up.  Teamwork, in this grave unmeasured battle, was essential. 

       Suddenly, David called back at Annaiyah, “I can see the road!”  He yelled excitedly. 

       “Are you sure?”  She weakly responded, after David asked her to repeat for the sixth time. 

       He then looked back at her, “I could bet my life on it.”  Was his response.  So they moved on.  David knew it wouldn’t matter whether he bet his life on it or not.  Being an alive victim of an ongoing blizzard, his vista was not the keenest, but if the road was actually there, then he wouldn’t have to kill himself.  Now, if it wasn’t what would that matter?  It would mean that they’ve been going the wrong direction, and that they would most likely freeze to death anyway.

       David turned around to yell something at Annaiyah, but he couldn’t see her. “Annaiyah!?”  He called to her.

 

No Answer

 

       “Annaiyah!”  He called again, in high hopes that she was falling behind, or that she didn’t hear him.  He hurried back, only to see her laying down on her back.  Her face, as white as the snow, and her lips a pale blue.  Each of her hairs was lined with a sheet of snow.  He was determined to get Erin to the police station, even if it cost him his life.  After all, she trusted him with her life. 

 

Chapter 14 Police Station

 

       David looked at Erin, not even knowing if he was holding a corpse, or someone he loved very much.  He started to talk to her as he walked. “Erin, I promised you, we WILL make it through this.”

       Right there and then, such determination swept over him that he started to run; something assumed impossible in such a circumstance.

       Finally, David mountain-climbed up the stairs of the police station, and kicked on the door, constantly, until an officer arrived.  He hurried them in, and then ran to go gather all the other officers.

       David set Erin down gently, and he had suddenly realized how much his arms hurt.  He softly called to her over and over again, until all eleven police officers in the building, rounded the corner.  One walked over, and picked up Erin. 

       “Hey!”  David became defensive.  “What are you doing!?”

       “Relax kid,” an older officer told him, as they were all piling into a conference room. “She’ll be fine.”

       Of course David knew, that not even he, could promise that.  The man that carried Erin away, was around 19, and looked depressed, but David was soon to learn something different.  He was suddenly swept into the crowd entering the conference room, and he was being interrogated by questions about Erin, how he got here, the school, the others, and himself.

       The officer that had carried Erin away now entered the room.  He sat down in the chair at the head of the table, leaned back, and put his feet up on the table.

       “Where’d you come from?” A policeman that was chewing tobacco asked.

       Plymouth Christian Academy.”  David was wary in his answers.

       A police officer with tattoos dominating his arm asked, “The high school that was all snowed in?!”  He seemed surprised.

       “What other schools in Plymouth that would’ve gotten hit by a blizzard are there?”  It wasn’t a great comeback, but it worked.

       “Don’t smart mouth me!”  The officer leapt out at David but was suddenly halted when the nineteen-year-old cop stuck his arm out in front of him.

       The tattooed officer reluctantly backed off.

       The officer had the face of a young John Cusack. “What’s your name kid?”  He said it like it had become a pet name.

       David was silent a moment. “David.” He was still wary.

       “Who’s that you brought with you?”

       “Why do you want to know?” David snapped back.

       The pulled out a cigar and lit it.  With his two fingers, he took the cigar out of his mouth and leaned forward, onto the table.  “The name’s Desmond. I just want to know her name.”

       David chucked at the name.

       “You think that’s funny?”

       “Yeah I do!” David boldly answered.

       “Do you mind telling me her name?”  Desmond ignored the remark.

       “Yes.” David said with a straight face. “Yes, I do mind.”

       Desmond shook the match out after lighting his cigar a second time. “Then I’ll just ask her myself.”  With that, he got up and left the room.

       All the other officers interrogated him further about how he got there.

 

Chapter 15 Competition

 

       Erin eventually regain full consciousness.  She and David had to live at the station for a while, seeing they were stuck as well.  Everyone got to know each other. The five younger police officers took an immediate liking to Erin, probably because she went around being herself, and in no way was flirtatious. David also made sure to keep close to her at all times, until the day he had dreaded, but was sure to come, came.

       After everyone was done playing a long game of poker, Erin got up and walked over to where David was standing, watching in the back corner.

       “Hey!” she greeted.

       David smiled. “Hey.  Who won?”

       “Ah.  The usual.”

       “Of course.”

       Desmond suddenly walked up to them. “Yeah!”  He seemed rather pleased. “Another gamed won by a deserving winner!”

       “Desmond, if the world was won by deserving, then you certainly wouldn’t be first place in anything.”

       David smiled at Erin’s clever comeback.

       “Right then.”  He looked at David.  “Can I talk to Erin alone?”

       “You can.”  David answered.

       There was a silence.

       May I?”

       David looked at Erin.  She nodded her head towards the door, and David reluctantly left.

 

       Erin walked out of the room, to see David pacing.  Ignore his strange behavior.  She started to walk down the hall.  David spied her before she turned the corner and he called her name.

       “What?”

       He ran up to her.  “What did he want?”

       “It doesn’t matter!”  She said defensively.

       “It does to me.”

       “He was the fifth guy to ask me out.”  She looked at David. “Sixth, sorry.”

       David blushed. “What did you say?” 

       “Why are you so interested, anyway?”

       David shrugged.  “I just care, okay.”

       Erin smiled. “I said no.”

       David smiled back. Then they both got up and walk away, leaving Desmond standing in the room, to hear their whole conversation.

 

Chapter 16 Home

 

       Time passed, and snow melted, until finally, everyone could go. They all said goodbye and departed.  David and Erin got dropped off at David’s house by Desmond. 

       “Bye Erin!”  Desmond called, as he drove away.

       “Looks like my parents aren’t home, probably at the grocery store, stalking up on food as usual.” David said, as they turned towards his house.

       David walked to the door.  “My car’s still buried somewhere in the school parking lot. Once they get home, ill drive you back to your house.  So you can come on in.”

       Erin smiled. “But didn’t your parents like, lock the doors or something?”

       “Probably.”  He pulled out a pocket knife and then flipped out a small tool.  He shoved it into the lock and twisted it around, until finally the lock on the side of the door, flipped around. David opened the door and then walked in, but Erin stood outside in the doorway… no longer a forlorn figure, completely shut out from the world… or even what was left of her world…

       “Come on in.”  He offered.

       Erin shyly stepped in.

       “Here, he pointed his hand towards the couch.  “you can sit down, turn on the TV if you like.”

       Erin sat down on the couch. “Where are you going?”  She asked as he was walking out of the room.

       “I’m on an expedition to the kitchen.”  He grinned.

       She smiled back, and then looked around.  David’s house was huge, with pillars, marbled floor, big screen TV hanging over a giant fireplace, and a large rounding, marbled staircase circling up into an unknown level.

       “Oooh!  American Idol’s on!”  She thought out loud as she stared at the fancy, vintage, grandfather clock. She turned on the TV, to see Simon insulting someone with large sunglasses and a cape.

       “You’re not Elton John! You can’t sing like him, you can’t dance like him, you barely even look like him.  Take my advice, and lose the glasses, cape, and sparkly bell bottoms!”  She heard Simon say.

       David then walked into the room, and chuckled.  He set down two cokes and two plates with two hot dogs on each.

       “Wow, a gourmet meal!” she joked.

       David laughed. “Yeah, well, personally, I find hot dogs more enjoyable than a sirloin steak with the side of canned mashed potatoes.”  He thought a minute. “That’s probably what we’re eating for dinner…”  He muttered to himself.

       Erin opened her coke and sat back.

 

Chapter 17 Tearful Reunion

 

       David’s parents soon arrived; they got all choked up, and it was a tearful reunion.  Afterwards, he explained that he needed to take Erin home and borrow their car.

 

       When David and Erin reached her house, David walked her in, and there was another tearful reunion.  David jumped into the car, and Erin stood outside, not bothered by the cold.  Then she walked up to the car window to say goodbye.

       “Hey… uh… I was wondering… if you would… want to, eh, go to a… basketball game… with… me…”  He asked, shyly.

       “Depends.”

       “Pistons.”

       Erin smiled.  “Can’t say no.”

       David drove away with a smile on his face.

 

Chapter 18 To the Hospital

 

       Two years passed, the school was closed down, Erin was nineteen, and David was twenty.  David asked her out three times before she actually said yes.

       One day, when David and Erin were walking through town, and she suddenly dropped.  He immediately called 911.

 

       David jumped at the site of the doctor.  The doctor started fingering through a pile of papers on the crescent-shaped desk in the waiting room.

       “Can we go see her?”  He asked.

       Erin’s parents stood up, and the doctor didn’t even look up, he didn’t even answer.

       “Doc!”  David called impatiently.  “Can we go see her?” 

       Again, the doctor didn’t look up, he licked his finger and flipped a page.  “Yes.”  He answered solemnly.

       David sprinted down the hallway, looking through each window to see if Erin was in there.  After a short, but long search, he found her room, and quietly burst in.  He kneeled down beside her bed, so that he was at eye level with her “How are you feeling?”  He asked gently.

       Erin forced a mall mile to thinly spread across her face.  “Okay…”

       David rested his hand on top of hers, and smiled back, to cover up the empty feeling he had from not being able to encourage her, or whisper uplifting, wise, applicable words to her., so he just smiled.  It tore everything out of him, when his famous words, “We’re going to get through this.”  Could not be uttered from his dry mouth.

 

Chapter 19 An Unexpected Ending

 

       David sat, waited, and prayed with Erin.  He had gone thirty-seven hours without sleep, and he wasn’t even tired.

       Once a doctor walked in, David jumped at his chance to ask the question that was eating him alive.

       “What’ wrong with her, Doc?  Just please, tell me what’s happening?”

       “It’s delayed, but her body is just now reacting to almost freezing to death.”  The doctor answered, fingering through more papers.  He looked up and saw the confused look on David’s face.  The doctor let out a big sigh, put his hand on David’s shoulder, and looked up, to look him in the eye.  “Son,”  He sighed heavily. David’s heart suddenly began to race.  The doctor looked down and sighed again.  “Son she’s dieing.”  The doctor quickly walked out of the room.

       In the room, all was quiet, accept for Erin’s soft breathing, her loud, beeping heartbeat, and David’s tears hitting the cold, still ground.

 

3 hours later

 

Erin’s heartbeat started to slow, which abruptly awoke David from his startling dreams.  He rushed to her side, and enclosed her hand in his.

       Erin.”  He called softly. “Erin.”

       She opened her eyes and smiled, half-heartedly.  Her heartbeat was rapidly slowing.

       David tucked her hair back behind her ear, and kissed her on the forehead, and then gave her a hug.

       Erin drew in her last breath, and uttered. “Goodbye David.”

       Her eyes softly closed, her grip on David’s hand became limp, and the heart rate on the computer became one long continuous, heartbreaking sound.

 

 

© 2008 Lauren


Author's Note

Lauren
i know its boring in the beginning, but i get really really good

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I have to agree with the comments below, this is a well written story. A definite pleasure to read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Was great i wish you would have posted it all

Posted 16 Years Ago


Lauren...I know I've already said this but YOUR STORY ROCKS!!! Maybe you could add some more. Or maybe, I shouldn't die! You should ask people that; Is it good that Erin dies?

Posted 16 Years Ago


sad... but sweet

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 10, 2008

Author

Lauren
Lauren

Ann Arbor, MI



About
I LOVE to write. I usually write like naything, but what i write the most, are like short stories, which usually range from 29 pages-79 pages. And i do any kind of genre. I do Christian, Romance(ve.. more..

Writing
The Great Chase The Great Chase

A Story by Lauren



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..