The Great Chase

The Great Chase

A Story by Lauren
"

8 teens are being hunteed down by a gunhappy maniac thats trying to kill them because they were the only witnesses to a murdur he commited. But its no help to the teens when they learn thattheres a second to the hunting party, some even end up in the hos

"

 

Chapter 1 Introduction
 
          “Oh my gosh!” Christy exclaimed.
       “What?” Rachel sighed.
       “I can’t believe that David likes Erin! You know, those two form fifth hour!”
       Nick, Austin, Daniel, Kyle, Lauren, and Rachel all groaned and rolled their eyes, while Amanda and Christy continued sharing gossip.
       “Wow.” Daniel shook his head. “They do this everyday, and yet, we continue to act like its only the third time.”
       Lauren put her hand on his shoulder. “Great observation.” She sarcastically commented.
       “Hey!” Amanda perked up. “You guys want to go to the mall after school?”
       Everyone became quiet, and stared at her.
          “What?!”
       Kyle pointed at the school behind them. Amanda looked to where he was pointing, and then back at him with a blank stare. “Amanda,” he started calmly.
       “Huh?” She was now wrapping her hair around her fingers.
       “School is already out!” Kyle blew up.
       Amanda looked back at the school, and then back at Kyle. It took her a minute, and then her face suddenly brightened, and she got it. “Ohhhh!” she announced. “Okay.”
       Everyone became silent. Then Nick spoke up. “I’m up for that. Who wants to go to the mall?”
       Everyone agreed.
 
       Nick, Rachel, Lauren, Austin, Daniel, Kyle, Amanda, and Christy, for different reasons, were rejected by the general school population, so they formed their own group, and usually got along nicely.
       Being sixteen and seventeen years old, they all had crushes, real crushes, well, most of them at least. Most tried not to make it obvious, but here’s how it went: Nick liked Rachel, and Rachel liked Nick. Lauren and Austin were secretly going crazy for each other. The only person Lauren told, was Rachel, and the only person Austin told, was Daniel, of course, Lauren and Austin didn’t know that the other person liked them. Christy liked Daniel, but Daniel liked Amanda. Amanda liked Daniel, and Kyle liked Christy, Lauren, and Rachel, and any other girl he thought to be hot. 
 
Chapter 2 Robbery
 
       All eight went to their favorite mall, Pacific West. This mall was old, small, very unknown, and going bankrupt, seeing that the only people visiting it, was Nick and co.
       As they were all traveling down the large, marbled aisle, they heard loud demands, coming from Pier 1 and went to go check it out.
        Inside the almost peopleless store, they saw a man dressed up in black, with a ski mask on. He was holding a Heckler Koch HK MP to the Chinese store owner. 
“Hurry up!” The man had a loud, gruff voice.
Then, a woman entered the scene, carrying a black bag full of something, she most likely stole.
       All lined up, in a horizontal row, stunned by more curiosity, more than fear, the standing eight watched. Rachel was suddenly warped back into reality; she flipped open her cell phone, and dialed 911.
       Suddenly, a gun fired, and the store manager dropped to the ground, into his own pool of blood. The man slammed the gun onto the counter and shoved the money into the bag himself.
       As Rachel was slowly pulling the phone up to her ears, the gunshot frightened her, and she accidently pressed the speakerphone button, not knowing what she had done.
       The phone rang excruciatingly loudly in her ear, for everyone to hear. Realizing what she had just done, she instinctively flipped the phone shut.
       The man and the women, like careful deer, froze; they didn’t move a muscle. Suddenly, the man grabbed the gun and missed his targets, as all eight of the kids frantically scrambled away from the store. They randomly broke off into separate groups. Rachel and Lauren ran south, Daniel and Nick ran east, Austin, Amanda, and Christy ran west, and Kyle ran north.
       As she ran, Lauren looked over her shoulder and noticed that the women sliding out or Pier 1, now had a gun in her excessively large hands. Then she noticed that the man with the gun was now chasing them. 
       Lauren took a hard right, breaking off from Rachel, who took a left and found her self, staring at a hopeless wall, while she was running. She suddenly tripped, sending her plummeting to the merciless ground. This allowed the gunman to catch up with her. Rachel closed her eyes and flinched, expecting to find a bullet in her side as she floated up to Heaven. Then something slammed her in the leg. She opened her eyes and saw Nick slam all his weight into the man, and tackling him, causing the gun to be thrown at her leg. 
       “Toss me the gun!” Nick demanded.
       Rachel grabbed the gun, and threw it to him underhand. With the butt of the gun, Nick knocked the man unconscious.   He stood up and walked over to Rachel, and offered her a hand.
       “Okay,” Nick turned to her when she stood up. “I have to go help the others, but I want you to go out to the car, alright?”
       “But I wanna’ –“ 
       “I don’t want you to get hurt.” He interrupted her. Then he put both of his hands on her shoulders. “Go out to the car, please.” She reluctantly nodded her head, and then wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him a warm hug. “Be careful.” She whispered in his ear. With that, Nick turned around, and ran back down the aisle of the dreaded mall.
 
Chapter 3 Captured
 
       Rachel sat in Nick’s mustang, waiting, anticipating the impossible moment of everyone sliding out of the mall, and running to the cars.   Suddenly, Daniel ran out, hopped into the car, and greeted Rachel.
       “Where’s Nick? Did you see him? Is he alright?” Rachel peppered him with questions.
       “I last saw him with Kyle, they were running down the aisle, looking for the others.”
       Rachel let out a worried, aggravated sigh, and laid her head against the car door, again, waiting, hoping, praying. 
       Then, Austin, Lauren, and Kyle came flying out. They all hopped into Lauren’s firebird, parked right next to the mustang, and then greeted Rachel and Daniel. 
       After what seemed like and eternity of hopelessness, Rachel spied Nick’s reflection on Lauren’s car window. Nick stood in one place, and spun around, as if he was looking for something or someone. 
       “Nick!” Rachel screamed. She saw him drop to the ground, timing with a gunshot. Rachel got out of the car and ran over to him.
       Back at the car, Amanda and Christy were suddenly recruited. 
       Austin, Lauren, and Daniel got out and followed Rachel, leaving self-centered Kyle, and the two confused girls behind. 
 
       Nick opened his eyes to see Rachel and then the other three, surrounding him. Rachel immediately noticed that Nick wasn’t hurt anywhere, and that he was just playing it. Rachel whispered this to the others between fake outbursts of tears. Rachel and Lauren screamed, as they were both suddenly yanked to their feet, by this time, both with a gun to their head. Daniel, not knowing what to do, opened his mouth to say something, but wound up unconscious, on the ground, right next to Nick. Austin was pulled along with the girls, seeing that he gave no trouble, and stayed calm. 
 
 
 
Chapter 4 Plan
 
        Nick and Daniel eventually made it to the cars, and called everyone out.
       “Alright,” Nick took charge. “They’ve taken Rachel, Austin, and Lauren, probably for ransom.”
       Kyle looked at Nick, like he was being really stupid and clueless, and completely missing out on something important. Then he finally said it. “Then we can just go back home, have our parents write a check, and buy them all back. Problem solved.”
       Everyone looked at Kyle, as if he was a self-centered freak or something. (Not a very unlikely assumption.)
       “Okay fine! Then what do you plan to do?!” He retorted. 
       “Well Kyle, maybe we could go rescue them like the good friends that we are, and you should be!” Daniel responded in a mimicking voice. 
       “Great idea!” Amanda perked up.
       Everyone gave her the same look they gave Kyle, but a lot less harsh. 
       “Okay,” Nick resumed his speech. “We really don’t have time to make a long strategized plan, so we’ll just wing it.”
       “But they have guns!” Christy whined, trying to make it clear.
       “Yes, but they also have Rachel, Lauren, and Austin.”
       Nick, then, laid out a very sketchy plan that he made up on the spot. He clapped his hands once, when he was finished. Then him, Kyle, and Daniel all shouted break. 
 
Chapter 5 Austin’s Escape
 
       As Austin regained consciousness, he examined his location. He was locked in a storage closet; his ankles and wrists were sloppily, but tightly binded by thick rope. Austin grabbed his pocketknife out of his back pocket, which took a lot of moving around. He flipped the knife open, and slit his finger right down the middle, while doing so. This didn’t bother him, considering that he might be shot at any moment. He cut the ropes to his wrists, which took a lot of patience, aim, and caution; with all these traits, he cut through the ropes without cutting himself. 
       He then stood up, and kicked down the door, to see the surprised woman standing there. Austin gave her no time to pull out her gun, he immediately flung the knife into her leg and ran off. He left her there, screaming, clutching her leg, and rocking back and forth on the ground. 
 
Chapter 6 Rachel’s Escape
 
       Rachel smiled gratefully as she spied Nick round the corner. She wasn’t locked up in a closet, but guarded by the man. The dummy was facing the other way, exposing him to attack, from behind, which was where Nick snuck up, and jumped on his back. Nick put forth all his strength into his grip around the man’s neck.
       The man ran backwards into a wall, sending Nick’s head first, into the newly damaged wall, only causing Nick to grip tighter, cutting the man off from all air, and knocking him out. 
       Nick rushed over to Rachel. Gently, he untied the ropes around her wrists and ankles. As he finished untying her ankles, he lifted his head to take off the gag. As he did so, their eyes met, and she stared into his majestic, ocean blue eyes, and he stared into his vividly brilliant, pale blue eyes. In those two seconds, they shared an unforgettable moment, in which the two dove down into their concealed emotions, and discovered their true feelings for one another.
Not breaking his gaze, Nick untied the gag, and then took her hands and slowly helped her to her feet. Suddenly, the bond between their gaze, was torn apart by the sound of someone clearing their throat. Nick and Rachel both looked over to see Lauren and Austin in the doorway.
“Uh, in my not so opinionated opinion, I think we gotta’ dash now, ya’ know, before they both regain consciousness!” Lauren announced. She then turned to Austin. “Or BLEED to death!!!” 
“Okay!” Austin said, “Let’s just go.”
The four ran out of the room as the man started to stir. 
 
Chapter 7 A Disturbing Call
 
When Christy and Amanda saw Nick, Rachel, Lauren, and Austin approaching, they hopped of the hood of Lauren’s firebird, and called to Daniel and Kyle. Everyone hopped into the two cars, and they all drove off.
Nick swung into a CVS, and Lauren followed. Everyone climbed out of the cars to see what was wrong. 
“What are we doing?” Christy asked. 
       “This is like a meeting thing.” Nick answered. “I don’t know why those people wanted to kill us, but there’s no way they can track us, I mean, we left no ID, no clues, no-“ His cell phone went off. It was a call from Rachel’s phone. “Hello?” His face widened and he put it on speaker-phone.
       “-ound near Pier 1.” A chuckled followed the haunting message; the man hung up. 
       “Maybe we should call the police.” Amanda suggested.
       Nick’s phone rang again, and again it was from Rachel’s phone.
       “And don’t even think about calling the police-“ Nick flipped the phone shut before the man could finish.
       “We gotta’ get our parents outa’ our houses.” Daniel commented, shaking his head.
       “And what do you plan to do to do?” Kyle asked. “Just kick them out of their houses?”
       Christy suddenly perked up. “Us girls could come up with an idea to get all our moms to leave to something, and then they would drag our fathers along with them.”
       “Yeah!” Amanda chimed in. “That’s what they usually do.”
       “You expect me to believe that you girls are physically capable of doing something like that?”
       Everyone gave him the same harsh look they always gave him when he made stupid comments that he apparently not thought through.
       Austin shrugged. “That might work,” He said as if Kyle didn’t say anything. “But we need a more strategized plan than that.”
       “Austin’s right.” Nick added, then he smiled. “But we need to eat first.” He pointed at a Pizza Hut. To this, everyone agreed.
 
Chapter 8 Success
 
       “C’mon mom!” Amanda whined. “You’re always complaining about how you need a vacation so badly!” 
       Rachel, Christy, Amanda, and Lauren were all at Amanda’s house. Amanda’s mom thought a minute. “Okay.” She threw her hands up. “I’ll go talk to the others.” Others, meaning the other parents. With that, she grabbed the phone, and walked down into the basement. 
 
       Amanda sat down on her couch, with Rachel, Amanda, and Christy, following
       “I wonder how the boys are faring right now.” Lauren commented. Christy looked over at her. “They’re guys.” She clarified, and it was enough to assure the whole group that they had failed . . . as usual.
 
Chapter 9 The Great Chase
 
       “Yeah,” Daniel sighed. “I got it.”
       Austin, Kyle, and Nick all followed him as he walked out the door of his house. 
       “Man! I told you we weren’t doing too hot! I don’t see how they do it.” Daniel exclaimed, as everyone filed into Nick’s mustang.
       “Who?” Austin asked.
       “Huh?”
       “You don’t get how who does it?” He repeated.
       “The girls. They’re probably going to call in a minute, brag about their success, and then ask us how we did, knowing perfectly that we failed miserably.”
       Right as Daniel inhaled to catch his breath, Nick’s cell phone rang.
       “Hey!” It was Rachel. Daniel raised his hands up in defeat.
       “We got a yes! Sooo, how are you doing?”
       “Yeah, uh… well you guys are gunna have to take it from here.” Nick answered, a little embarrassed.
       The guys looked a little disturbed as they sat there, waiting for Amanda and Christy to stop laughing.
Three minutes later
       “I’m sorry!” Christy look the phone, and said as she was recovering from hysterical laughing.
       “It wasn’t even funny!” Kyle exclaimed.
       “Sorry. Sure, we’ll help you guys.” Rachel grabbed the phone away from Christy.
       “Alright, we’ll meet you over there at-“ Nick started, and then stared at the phone. Then he flipped it shut, and floored it.
       “What’s wrong?” Kyle asked, when he got himself up off the floor.
       “The girls started to scream and then hung up.”
       Nick slammed on the brakes and they all scrambled out of the car, to see the door of Lauren’s house broken down.
       The guys all ran to the house, and into the kitchen where the knives were harbored. Each grabbed a knife and they all split up throughout the house.
       Nick rushed upstairs to see Lauren and Rachel, their backs to the wall at the end of the hallway with a knife to their necks. Apparently the man expected the band of “heroic” guys. Nick stood in the hallway. The foreboding looks of the man was warning him, or daring him to go on. Nick didn’t know what to do, if he were to ever see Rachel and Lauren again, literally in one piece, he had to act quick, but stay stationary. Thoughts raced wildly in his mind. Witty ideas popped in and out, but none stayed, and he wasn’t quick enough.
 
 
 
Chapter 10 Hero of the Year
 
       The man to the knife and swung it at Lauren, and all in those brief seconds, Austin threw his knife at the man, as he came running down the hallway. The knife was thrust into the man’s chest, causing him to drop the knife and Lauren to drop, due to her legs giving out.
       Suddenly, gunshots were heard and a bullet flew in between the boys’ heads and into the wall, sending out a cloudish puff of drywall.
       Nick and Austin whipped their heads around to see the demonic woman that Austin had stabbed with his pocket knife. There was now a bandage, covering up that spot, all stained in blood. With both hands, she had her gun out in front of her.
       Rachel quickly started to run towards the guys. She leapt out in front of Nick, timing with a bullet that was shot at him. She fell to the ground, crying out in pain. Nick picked her up and took off down the stairway, dodging all the bullets that were hatefully and carelessly shot.
       Austin took off in the opposite direction, and Lauren had slowly crept into a room, unnoticed. 
       As Nick ran down the hallway, with Rachel in his arms, he was almost a victim of a life-threatening collision, which would have included him, Rachel, Christy, and Amanda. The two girls had sharply turned a corner, running out of a room and Nick had instinctively swerved. The two pairs continued pursuing their aimless destinations.
       Nick ran down to the basement and through the walkout. He set Rachel down on the soft grass to rest his arms for a second, and then picked her up again and headed to the neighbor’s house. As he was running, he heard gunshots, and it killed him to leave his friends behind.
 
Chapter 11 Quick, Rescuing Escape
 
       At the neighbor’s house, Nick met up with Lauren’s mom, who had just arrived there, prior to when he showed up. Nick set Rachel down, to reveal his white shirt and varsity jacket smothered in blood. The neighbor, Mrs. Phisher, gasped. “Don’t worry, sweet girl, the ambulance is coming.” She caressed Rachel. Lauren’s mom, and Mrs. Phisher both lifted their heads to see Nick running up the hill, back into Lauren’s house.
       Nick ran down the hallway, looking for Amanda and Christy, hearing repeated gunshots, and rapid footsteps as he ran. He finally found Kyle, huddled up in a small closet. He directed him to help find the girls, but Kyle refused; he just wanted to escape alive. So Nick reluctantly directed him towards a safe exit.
       Then Nick met up with the two girls and directed them where to go. The two fled from the scene.
       Nick noticed that the gunshots came from upstairs, so that’s where he went. He ran into each room, intentionally avoiding the mad woman. He finally found Daniel, Austin, and Lauren all hiding behind a bed. He had them follow him.
       As Nick rushed them out of the doorway in the basement, and gun was fired, and Nick dropped to the ground. Blood quickly drizzled across the floor and the demonic women laughed. Nick laid there in anguish, not flinching, not whining, not moving.
       Like a machine gun, the gun fired rapidly and the woman howled. Suddenly, sirens sounded and she froze.
 
Chapter 12 An Ending
 
       Tears streamed down everyone’s face as they watched the medics cart Rachel and Nick into the ambulances.
       The woman was aggressively shoved into the back of a police car. The most dramatic person was Mrs. Phisher; she broke down several times and then fainted, they put her in the ambulance as well. Lauren’s mom, Christy, Amanda, Lauren, Austin, Daniel, and Kyle were all escorted to the hospital by the police.
 
       After a long while, Rachel recovered with an unforgettable scar as a souvenir of her past experience. As for Nick, he had a series of unfortunate events. He was hospitalized for quite some time. Problem after problem occurred and he ended up staying there for four months.
       On one of their daily visits, when the whole gang was visiting him, something . . . happened.
       When they all entered the room, he was gone. The bed was made, all his cards and presents and stuff were gone, and it looked like an unoccupied room. 
“Maybe we’re at the wrong room.” Kyle suggested. 
With heavy hearts, everyone entered the entrance room to ask the doctor about Nick, when suddenly Rachel screamed his name. Everyone turned their heads in the direction she was running in, and then they all screamed his name and ran to him. Rachel gave him a welcoming hug. “I’m so glad you’re better!” She exclaimed.
“So am I.” He answered. As Rachel hugged him again, he looked over her shoulder and looked at Daniel. 
“What’s wrong?” Daniel mouthed to him, without making any noise.
Nick sighed, and Daniel understood.
 

 

© 2008 Lauren


Author's Note

Lauren
Hey it gets really good in the middle. Where it ends, is the end, but im working on a sequal...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

um yea


Posted 16 Years Ago


YAY LAUREN!!! You are such a good story writer...rock on! Lol, this ones really good...but the snowed in one always makes me sad. :(

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 16, 2008

Author

Lauren
Lauren

Ann Arbor, MI



About
I LOVE to write. I usually write like naything, but what i write the most, are like short stories, which usually range from 29 pages-79 pages. And i do any kind of genre. I do Christian, Romance(ve.. more..

Writing
Snowed In Snowed In

A Story by Lauren