Soldiers Flaming Demons Meet

Soldiers Flaming Demons Meet

A Poem by Norma M Sutton
"

The photo is for a visual of just HOW spooky a goats eyes can be when the light hits them at night.

"






















Demons are afoot tonight
Oh what a terrifying sight
Glowing eyes quick to show
Hells demented fiery glow

Run from this witches lair
Return to our homeland fair
Never more do we roam
So far away from our home

Hear the demons snort and stamp
As madly they charge through our camp
Cloven hooves and horns are bright
Shining with a eerie light

Goblins laughter trails down
Circling us round and round
Cursing and knocked to the ground
Never more to be found

© 2017 Norma M Sutton


Author's Note

Norma M Sutton
http://www.oldandsold.com/articles04/europe13.shtml

These women of Gruyeres appear to have always been a resourceful lot. Once when all the men were with the cattle on the mountains, or at war with their neighbors, and only the women and children remained within the town, the hostile army of Berne sat down before the walls. But the women did not despair. When night came on they gathered together several hundred goats and, fastening flaming torches between their horns, opened the gates and drove them down upon the enemy. Now, in those days witches still dwelt in the forest and goblins yet lived in the mountains, so when the Bernese saw this army of flaming demons charging their camp, they fled incontinently, and the town was saved.

Author's note: My dad's mom's people were Bowman from Switzerland. In doing some research I ran across this story. I found it hilarious. Goats are bad to shake their heads if you have something tied to their horns. I would imagine they were a ghastly sight to superstitious folk. Charging down from the mountain forest shaking their heads and baaing. I know what they are, but I would run from a sight like that lol.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like little bits of history like this ~

Posted 13 Years Ago


I appreciate the effort you put in to this write. Excellent poem and cool subject.
Life and Light!
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk

Posted 13 Years Ago


Demons can come in all shapes and sizes, that is what makes them so scary... a fun piece of writing... and that pic is very erie.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the poem and the story in the Author note. In the days of old. Old mystic fear could control a people. I like the goat too. Thank you for the education and some very good poetry. Thank you.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very cool poem. That picture is freaking me out though.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I not only have become such a big fan of your writings but also your Author's notes....love the stories you teach us :)

Peace
Robin

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a cool poem. Very scary and mysterious one. I love how it relates to your heritage and that you own hooved ones yourself. Great writing. I love the rhythm and the flow of this poem too. Fabulous job!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good write, Norma. War is such a b(*&^h, I know. But exactly whose land are we occupying for the war? Our soldiers go to pay homage, when there are so many who fail to pay homage to an unnecessary war.

Posted 13 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1190 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 21, 2010
Last Updated on September 29, 2017

Author

Norma M Sutton
Norma M Sutton

Bostic, NC



About
Norma Moore Sutton has written and published two children's books: The First Lamb and Harry Goes To The Fair She has written and published the first book in the Haunting Memories Series: Matthe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Addicted To You Addicted To You

A Poem by Bubo