Amelia's Nightmare

Amelia's Nightmare

A Story by Taco
"

Based on a dream I had, and written by me and my friend Skye in May 2009, this short story is about Indy (an adventurer), based on Indiana Jones and Chandler (which is what he was in my dream) and Skye and me and our friend and a crazy random guy in my da

"

We were all sitting on my bed, thinking, unaware that our lives were in danger. Indy grinned at me, and I grinned back. Boy, was I lucky to have such an awesome-and hot!-boyfriend. And Vicky had Scott. But Skye…Skye was independent, she didn’t need anybody. She had told us that she didn’t need true love. But the rest of us did. Well, I guess Indy didn’t, he was our leader, anyway. But he liked me, and I knew that he had an eye for the other two girls as well. I had to work to keep my jealousy level at zero, and that was tough.

                Vicky rolled onto her stomach. “What should we do today, Indy?” She blinked up at him, her brown eyes innocent.

                “I don’t care,” Indy said nonchalantly. He loved adventure but he also wanted to just be an average boy. He flipped his gold hair to the side.

                “Let’s go swimming!” Skye suggested. She was Miss Junior Avocado California USA, or at least that’s what Vicky and I used to call her. She worked on her family’s avocado ranch a lot, but lately she’d been only doing that on boring weekdays.

                “In the ocean!” Scott added. “I want to see some sharks.” He grinned.

                “Okay, that’s fine, if you want to get your head bitten off,” Indy retorted. “Besides, it’s too cold to go swimming, let alone in the ocean.”

                “I guess so,” Skye sighed.

                We were a pretty weird mix of kids. Skye and Vicky and I had met each other at our school. Vicky and I went to Dance Creations and we met Scott and Indy when they joined our dance classes. Skye had decided to start taking dance lessons, so we all become friends.

                Indiana Davids was our leader. He was the youngest, which was weird. He was 14 years old and was medium-height and skinny, but he was muscular at the same time. He had blonde hair with tinges of brown, which made it look gold. He had piercing blue eyes and freckles. Indy loved solving mysteries and he had a fast mind. He was always ready for adventure.

                Vicky Martinez was tall and skinny and 16 years old. She had wavy shoulder length dark brown hair and pretty brown eyes. She was beautiful and sweet at the same time, and was really smart.

                Scott Alexander was the same height and age as Vicky. He had spiky brown hair and dark green eyes. He was friendly and funny and nice to all of us, especially Vicky.

                Skye Bruce was short but skinny. She was 15 years old. She was really fast, in mind and speed. She had dirty blonde hair that reached to just past her shoulders. She also had side bangs. She was sweet and funny.

                I, Amelia Cassidy, was tall and skinny, 15 years old. I had hazel eyes and freckles. My brownish-red hair was shoulder length and straight. I was smart and liked adventure, but I was easily frightened by something that alarmed me. I had had a crush on Indy since I was seven. (heehee)

                “Hey! I have an idea!” said Vicky, jumping up. “Let’s go to that old ghost town in the mountains. Maybe we can find some stuff to do there.”

                “That old place?” I asked, wrinkling my nose. “What in the world is there to do there?”

                “They opened the hotels and some of the old saloons and shops for visitors. And they have a train ride,” Vicky explained. “That okay with you?” She looked at Indy for approval.

                Indy nodded, his bangs flopping in his face. “We can explore the caves,” he added, his eyes sparkling.

                “Caves,” I repeated. I shivered. “Scary, but okay.”

                “Relax, Amelia. It’s not like a big skeleton’s gonna come out and eat you.” Indy laughed.

                “It might!” I protested. “These towns are just spooky. It’s a good thing they’re not old Western towns. Those are even worse!” I shuddered.

                “Let’s go!” Indy said, jumping up and dragging me to my feet. I reached into his backpack and pulled out his favorite hat. “Don’t forget this,” I told him.

                He put it on, then struck a pose. I giggled. As we all walked out the door and into Indy’s car, I couldn’t help remembering the skeletons. Relax, it’s not Halloween, I thought to myself.

                I let Vicky take the passenger seat and I sat in the back with Skye. Scott sat in the very back.

                “How long does it take to get there?” Vicky asked.

                “An hour,” Indy answered, starting the car.

                “An hour?!” Vicky exclaimed.

                “Do you have anything better to be doing?” Indy shot back.

                “No,” Vicky said, dropping her head.

                An hour later exactly, Indy pulled the car into the parking lot of the ghost town. I pulled my jacket tighter around my body. The freezing breeze rifled my hair as Indy pulled his backpack out of the trunk. Inside, it contained a flashlight, matches, combs, canteens, ropes, sunglasses, and anything else you could possibly need for a trip. He shrugged it over his shoulders and motioned to us. “Come on!” He said excitedly. Nothing rejuvenated Indy like a good adventure.

                It was 11:45 AM and the sun was behind the clouds, making the air eerily cold. As we neared the town, a guy in a pickup pulled up next to where we were walking. It looked as if he were the only person around.

                “Hi, I’m Harry, how may I be of service? I work at the hotel called Candlelight Inn, which is just over there,” He gestured to a small, two-story building.

                “We’re just looking for some adventure,” Indy said.

                “Well, you won’t find much today. It seems as if everyone’s disappeared off the face of the Earth. But, you never know.”

                “It doesn’t matter,” Indy said cheerfully. He motioned to us. “Come on.”

                We walked towards the back section of the town. We strolled past since-remodeled old shops. Finally we came to a large cave.

                “Let’s go inside!” Indy hissed eagerly. He paused for one half second, perhaps listening to the silence.

                BOOM! A loud noise sounded from inside the cave, then shattering glass and a shriek as the cave burst into flames. Dark smoke filled the air. Flames licked the entrance to the cave, bright orange hungry monsters. We backed up quickly. Indy lagged, seeming to be investigating the fire.

                “Indy, come on!” Even though the smoke had turned to white and fewer flames could be seen, I still worried for my boyfriend. It was burning hot, and at any time a single spark could jump loose and burn Indy in a second. “Indiana!” I called again. This time he seemed to notice the worry in my voice. He held up a finger, then mouthed, Someone’s in there! I gasped. “That’s impossible!”

                As if on cue, a boy jumped out from in between the dying flames. He was average height, with blue eyes and spiked blond hair. Vicky, Skye, and I all recognized him in one instant. “Eric!”

                He narrowed his eyes, a mean, stubborn look on his face, and crossed his arms. “What the HECK?!” We were clearly the last people he expected to see. He flickered his gaze to Indy. “Indiana.” It wasn’t a question.

                Indy raised an eyebrow and matched Eric’s expression exactly. “How do you know my name, Eric?”

                “How do you know mine?” Eric challenged.

                “Hello! You came to some of the dance recitals and Vicky introduced me to you,” Indy said. He rolled his eyes.

                “Maybe.” Eric said, nodding.

                “How did the fire start?” Indy asked, noting Eric’s body movements for any signs of lying.

                “And what was that noise?” Scott asked.

                “A candle fell over,” Eric said.

                “A candle falling over does not make that much noise and fire!” I protested.

                “Oh yeah? Well----” Eric had some serious problems.

                “It doesn’t!” Indy hissed. “It sounded more like a bomb.”

                “Get your ears checked!” Eric was certainly in a bad mood. “See you around.” He fled around the corner of the building closest to the cave, which was pretty far away.

                “We should investigate.” Indy suggested. “Something was up with him, and I know he’s not telling the truth.”

                I sniffed the air. “Still smells like smoke,” I observed.

                “Do you think it’s safe to go in there?” Scott asked Indy. “It looks pretty burnt and a new fire might start. Not to mention it might collapse.”

                “It’s perfectly fine. Would I ever lead any of you into anyplace I thought was dangerous?” We all ignored the question.

                Indy led the way in. A lone flame staggered on the ground. Indy was about to step on it, then pulled out a torch from his backpack and stuck it in the fire. When there was enough fire to make it lighter, Indy stomped on the hotspot, sending sparks shooting in the air and white smoke around Indy’s foot.

                The cave was large, and it didn’t look like one of those caves made out of mazes. It had reddish colored walls and a dirt floor. Suddenly a noise came from outside. A truck with a roaring motor. The driver rolled down the window. I hadn’t realized that it was dark outside, but I noticed when the driver spoke. It was Harry, the owner of the inn.

                “Maybe you guys shouldn’t be out so late by yourselves in this cave. It can get a little spooky.” He glanced at Indy.

                “I don’t care. That’s what we came for,” Indy replied.

                “Well, anyway, if you’re going to be sleeping here, seeing that it’s past 9, I brought you some pillow and blankets. You can put them on the floor. I’m not sure how high the comfort zone will be, but it’s better than sleeping on dirt.”

                “Sure! Thanks.” Indy said, tipping his hat back and letting a wisp of golden hair float in front of his face.

                “Glad to be of use. See you tomorrow!” Harry handed us the sleeping equipment. “Sleep well!” He called as he drove in a circle back toward his inn.

                Scott laid out the blankets and pillows on the ground, five sets of them.

                “Aw, do we have to go to bed now?” Skye sighed. “I wanted to explore some more.”

                “Fine with me!” Indy replied immediately.

                “We all knew you’d go for it,” Vicky joked.

                “Come on, let’s go!” Scott said, taking Vicky by the arm. She flinched a bit, but relented with a sigh.

                We walked along towards the back of the cave, Scott holding Vicky by the arm, Indy holding my hand, and Skye skipping along merrily by herself. Some bats fluttered out of their nests in the roof of the cave when they heard us coming. Vicky and I ducked a little. Bats sometimes still gave me the creeps.

                As we walked back, I had an idea. “Indy…” I started.

                It was as if he had read my mind. He gave me a lopsided grin, then pulled me back towards our makeshift camp in the center of the cave. He looked at his watch. “It’s 11:11. Make a wish,” He told all of us. I closed my eyes but then opened them a second later. I stared into his unblinking blue eyes. “Maybe we should get some sleep,” he said and smiled at me.

                I curled up and pulled my blanket up to my chin. Sometime in the morning, Indy and I both fell asleep.

                The next morning I awoke to that same strange shrieking noise from the day before. Eric charged into our cave, looking furious.

                “Where’s the onion!” he cried, pointing a finger at Indy, who shrugged.

                “Maybe you put it in your pants,” Skye suggested.

                Eric gave her a strange look, then pulled a gun out of his pocket and pointed at it at Indy. “No trespassing on my onion,” he growled.

                “Maybe he wants to keep away some vampires and he thinks that we have the onion that will keep them away,” Skye whispered to me, giggling. I stifled a laugh.

                “Go away!” Indy narrowed his eyes.

                “I will kill you, you evil mutt!” Eric said.

                “Yeah right. Ooh, I’m so scared!” Indy rolled his eyes sarcastically.

                “I told you, give me my onion!” Eric screamed.

                “I don’t have an onion.” Indy said. He took a step forward then flung his foot into Eric’s face, who howled and ran away.

                “Nice, Indy,” Vicky said.

                Indy smiled at her. I frowned, my jealousy creeping up. Then I shrugged. I already knew that he liked Vicky. He took a step toward her. I turned away.

                A cracking noise sounded from the inside of the cave. The rocks shifted. I glanced around, wondering if it was Eric. Indy was still kissing Vicky. I curled my lip, then I heard the crack again. “Um, Indy, do you hear that?”

                “Hmmm?” he murmured, obviously not paying any attention.

                The noise sounded again. “Indy!” I said sharply. “What is that?”

                He shrugged, then made a noise that probably was supposed to say “I don’t know,” but it sounded like “Ee decay-o.”

                The next time, the noise was louder and a crash sounded from the back of the cave. Indy broke off from Vicky sharply. The cave darkened slowly. I looked towards the entrance. The torch was gone. We were in complete darkness now. Vicky clung to Indy. Having no one to hold on to, I crossed my arms, too scared to be mad at Vicky and Indy.

                A light began at the opening, coming closer and getting bigger. It all happened in a rush, and all I saw was a dark figure shoving a stick of fire at Indy sharply. We all backed up. Then I heard a cry of pain and fire burst out. “Eric!” I screamed. But it was too late. He was engulfed in the flames.

                We all ran towards the entrance, screaming for that Harry-dude. I turned back, my heart pounding in my ears. “Indy,” I breathed. As the pitch black smoke lifted my hair and ashes landed in it, I got choked up. I coughed and tasted salt in my mouth. I was crying. I let the tears fall without wiping them out of my face. I stood there crying until my vision got blurry. I realized that everyone else was crying, too. Suddenly I realized that somebody’s crying was a crying of pain.

                It was Vicky. She had tripped and her ankle was twisted and part of it was burnt. I wanted to go back and stop this from happening. “Scott,” I said, not daring to look up from Vicky. “Go get Harry at his hotel.” He started to run and his footsteps faded. I sighed. Skye put her hand on my shoulder. I shrugged it off and dropped down to Vicky.

                “Vicky. Vicky, are you okay?” From the shower of tears she nodded.

                “I think so,” She brushed them off, then carefully put a hand to the burnt ankle. “It hurts, but I think that’s the pain of burning it, rather than twisting it.” She looked at us, then said, “Can you guys help me get up?”

                “Sure,” Skye said. We both helped her to her feet. I found some foot wrapping stuff in Indy’s bag-that was still on my shoulders. Skye and I carefully covered Vicky’s leg in it. By then Scott had found Harry.

                He looked at the smoke, turning lighter by the minute, then at all of our tear-stricken faces, then down at Vicky’s foot. “Heavens to Betsy, how did all this happen?”

                I took a deep breath and started the story.

                A week later, all of us, wearing black, were sitting in my room once again, mourning for Indy. Scott sat cross-legged on the floor, his brown hair drifting in his face. Skye sat next to him, her blue eyes clouded. Vicky was draped across my bed, her long brown hair lifting with the breeze. I sat on my lime green chair, my head in my hands.

                “What should we do?” Vicky asked.

                “Careful, that’s the question that got us all in trouble,” Scott warned, but he seemed to be giggling at the memory.

                I looked down at my black dress, which made my skin look strangely white. I sighed. “Let’s all just have this time to appreciate each other,” I said.

                “And all the good times we’ve had with Indy,” Vicky said, nodding.

                “Indiana,” I whispered, my eyes filling with tears again. I sighed. “At least we’re all together…for now.”

© 2009 Taco


Author's Note

Taco
Sorry it's so long...and weird. Anyways, most of the crazy stuff is written by my friend (heehee) but it was all based on my dream (only we call it Amelia's Nightmare), only a few things made up. There is also a sequel, which my friend wrote completely, but I don't know how appropriate it is to put on here (not that it's inappropriate, but it's a very abnormal style of writing). Anyways, if you like it and want me to post the sequel, I can modify it to post on here.
Thanks! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks, Nikki! :)
(another note) I showed this to everyone who's in it (right after I wrote it), and some people from the sequel and their reviews were:
Skye: YAY! I'm so awesome!
Vicky: GIMME THAT! *grabs paper* Why am I kissing Chandler?! *rips up story*
Scott: THAT'S SO FUNNY! *laughs* You like Chandler!
Eric: Why do I get kicked in the face?
Jacob: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Chandler: (shown to by Scott) Uh....okay....?

I also used to read this during free class time and start laughing randomly...o.0

Posted 14 Years Ago


I haven't got the time to read it fully yet, but I read the beginning and it's awesome so far! Keep up the good work. Really, I like it! :-)

Love, Nikki

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

564 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 28, 2009

Author

Taco
Taco

Simi valley, CA



About
Hello there everyone, welcome to the profile of Taco. My name is Amelia. I am 12 years old and I live in the beautiful state of California. I own two Cairn Terriers. My favorite hobbies are reading, .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1: June 2005 Chapter 1: June 2005

A Chapter by Taco