Bezel fights back

Bezel fights back

A Story by Møssy Vibes
"

Not related to Evander's confrontation. Nienna and Adrian would really like to kidnap Cabbage... (this is no longer canon, more development has happened since I wrote this one.)

"

Their voices were dim. He heard footsteps, and shouting. And… them. Calling his name. Begging him to stand. Begging him to help them.


His arms were weak. The wound in his chest no longer stung, but every part of him ached. He felt… empty. Try as he might, he could not succeed in dragging himself to his feet. They continued to scream for him, but he couldn’t hear it anymore. His world lit with a hazy glow as he fell into unconsciousness.



“I guess… I guess I’ll trust you.” The sea creature faced away from him. Their hair caught the light, and the resulting lime glow placed them right at home amongst the trees. “But you have to promise!”


“I beg your pardon?” Bezel tried to make his words ooze with contempt, but they mostly came out laced with confusion. 


“I said you have to promise!” They spun to face him, shoes sliding effortlessly in the ferns. They smiled a radiant smile, and the sight caught him off-guard.


“Promise… what?”


“That you won’t hurt the forest!”


Bezel snarled. “I already told you I wasn’t going to. My word should be enough.”


“Well yeah, but…” they twirled a loose strand of hair around their index finger. “Your word is more powerful if it comes as part of a promise.”


He mulled it over in his mind, tapping gloved fingers against his forearms. Heaving a heavy sigh, he said, “Fine. What do I have to do to promise.”


They laughed. “Okay, good! All you have to do is repeat after me! Ready?


I, Bezel of the Cursed Wood…”


“...I, Bezel…”


He pressed hard against the mossy earth. The plants were damp and gave easily, but he didn’t stop. He pressed until his arms burned, fatigue and blood loss battling his lungs. And ever so slowly, he rose from the dirt.


“I, Bezel, of the Cursed… Wood…” Every word was strained, as if he hadn't spoken in centuries. 


Nienna tightened her grip on Cabbage’s arm, mumbling, “What in all hells does he think he’s doing?”


“...swear on my life…”


“I am not swearing on my life.”


Their smile vanished to replaced by a glare, and Bezel’s stomach dropped. He didn’t want them to be angry. “I, Bezel of the Cursed Wood, swear on my life…”


“I, Bezel of the… Cursed Wood, swear on my life…” His voice was clearer, though his bones still ached. Thick blood seeped through his cloak, dripping down his arms and legs, staining every inch of fabric and fern.


“...to never ever, in the rest of time…”


He was standing again, a pained grimace plastered across his face. Bracing his legs, he rested a palm against a nearby tree for support. His breathing was choppy and heavy as he took a small, shuffling step forward.


“...to never ever… in the rest of�" time…”


Adrian raised a hand, charging a finishing blow, but Nienna ushered it down. “Now I’m intrigued… even with that much damage, he continues to fight?” Instead, she leveled her blade, the still-dripping tip aimed directly between Bezel’s eyes.


A hum surrounded him. Deep within his wound began to glow, the dimly pulsing light flickering between shades of red, violet, and turquoise-blue. 


“...hurt the creatures of this forest.”


Left arm outstretched, he called for the return of his staff. The broken glass of its adornments dug into his palm, but he could not feel it. The light in his chest grew brighter.


“...hurt the creatures of this forest!” 


Clutching his staff with both hands, he slammed it against the ground at his feet. The shock from the collision summoned blustery winds that whipped through his hair and clothes.


“I made my promise. I promised to protect! I promised to help, and to heal! And most important of all�"“ He turned his eyes to Cabbage, who’s eyes were spilling over with tears as the light lit their features, the golden green shimmer of their skin causing them to glow just as much, and he tightened his grip on his staff. “I promised to be your friend! I promised to protect you, and that is what I, Bezel of the Cursed Wood, swear to do!”


His voice thundered throughout the forest, and the light inside his ribs gleamed a piercing, crystalline white.

© 2021 Møssy Vibes


Author's Note

Møssy Vibes
Looking for tips on dialogue? I think it isn't very clear what's happening but don't know how to fix it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

23 Views
Added on January 31, 2021
Last Updated on January 31, 2021
Tags: fantasy, practice, test, moss tales

Author

Møssy Vibes
Møssy Vibes

IN



About
I'm a dumb child, can't touch-type, and head empty. No thoughts. Only my handful of stupid characters and no place to put them. I'm an artist, writer, and (learning) game designer. Just here to vibe :.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Møssy Vibes