Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 1 of the Chronicles of Rosewood

Chapter 1 of the Chronicles of Rosewood

A Chapter by Jack Bridges
"

Angela grew up with very few friends. She didn't know why she was different but she was.

"

Angela was the first one to leave the classroom when the bell rang. She rushed to her locker, emptied it of all its contents, and then practically flew outside.

“Free at last,” she exclaimed as she stepped out. “No more school for three months.”

Her friends came out just then.

“We should do something to celebrate,” Triston commented.

“What did you have in mind?” Candace asked.

“Let’s have a party.”

“Where would we have it?” Mary asked.

“How about Angela’s?” Triston suggested.

“Are you crazy? Last time we had a party at my house you wrecked it and I got grounded for a month,” Angela said.

“Well, then why don’t we all go down to the river and party there. We could stay the whole night. Like camp out,” Mary said.

“Has anyone seen Tanis?” Angela asked.

“I think he left early. He wasn’t feeling well, or something,” Candace said. “Why?”

“He needs to know about the party.”

“Angela, we know Tanis is your brother, but he doesn’t have to come hang out with us all the time,” Triston complained.

“Hey, we’re the only friends he has. We can’t just leave him out,” she replied.

“It’s just your brother is so weird. Why do we have to be the ones to befriend him,” Mary commented.

“Because you’re friends with me, and I’m his sister,” Angela said.

“Most sisters are not that close to their brothers,” Triston told her.

“Well, I am, so deal with it. I’m not forcing you to be my friend.”

“It’s cool, Angela. They don’t mean anything by it. Tanis great. Sure he is different, but I think he’s kind of cool,” Candace commented.

“Thank you , Candace.”

“She’s only saying that because she thinks he’s hot,” Triston said.

“I have a boyfriend,” Candace stated.

“I’d hardly call Mike a boyfriend,” Mary said. “He flirts with every girl in school.”

“I don’t mind that. As long as he doesn’t try anything with them. I flirt with other boys, so what. We’re teenagers, we’re supposed to.”

“Enough about boys already. Let’s just go so we get ready for the party,” Angela said exasperatedly.

“Says the girl who has never had a boyfriend,” Mary said laughing.

“I could get a boyfriend if I wanted one,” Angela snapped.

“Oh, we know you could, Angela. Boys are constantly asking you out, and you are constantly turning them down. You aren’t gay, are you?” Candace asked.

“Of course not,” she said, sounding revolted at the very thought.

“Hey, it’s ok if you are. I don’t judge anyone.”

“I’m not gay. I like boys, I just haven’t met the right one,” she said.

Candace gave the others a knowing look.

Tanis was sitting on the couch staring at a piece of paper in his hands muttering to himself. Angela went and plunked herself down beside him.

“What’s up little brother?” she asked.

Tanis jumped as if coming out of a deep dream. He looked at Angela and then back at the paper, his face white and nervous looking.

“What is it?”

“It’s nothing,” he said quickly, trying to stow away the paper. “I was just cleaning out the attic like mom said and found. . .well, like I said it’s not important.”

“It looks important. Let me see it. Whatever it is, I’m sure I won’t be as surprised as you,” she laughed.

Tanis still looked nervous, so she quickly snatched the paper from him and danced out of his reach, laughing.

When he tried to grab it back, her friends blocked her. Angela turned to read the paper, still laughing. Her laughter stopped and her face grew pale as she read.

“Is this some sort of joke, Tanis. It’s not very funny,” she yelled.

“I didn’t write that. Why on earth would I do that? I tried to keep it from you,” Tanis replied.

“What is it, Angela?” Candace asked looking worried.

Angela handed Candace the paper. Mary and Triston crowded around so they could read it to. The three of them looked shocked as well.

“You’re adopted?!” Triston exclaimed. “Why didn’t you ever tell us?”

“She didn’t know you dummy,” Candace said. “I’m guessing your mother doesn’t want you to see this so we should probably pretend you didn’t see it.”

“Pretend I didn’t see it? I want to know why she didn’t tell me in the first place. I can’t be here right now. Come on, Tanis. We’re going to the river. Grab a change of clothes we’ll be camping out. You might want to grab two pair,” Angela said.

“But. . .what about. . .” Tanis started.

“Forget about that for right now. I don’t want to be here when my ‘mom’ gets back,” she said, making mom sound like a swear word.

Tanis knew better than to argue with Angela. He never won. Instead he ran upstairs threw some clothes into a bag and hurried back down. They left as soon as he was ready.

When they got to the river it was already getting dark, which meant that everyone else had done left and went home. Angela was glad for this because at this point she was in no mood to socialize with a lot of people.

Triston immediately started making a campfire, something he learned from boy scouts. Mary and Tanis started pitching tents. Candace, meanwhile, grabbed Angela and tugged her away from the others.

“What are you going to do, Angela?” Candace asked her.

“Right now I’m going to get my tent ready,” Angela commented.

“You know what I’m talking about. What are you going to do about Tanis,” she said.

“Tanis knows how to pitch his own tent.”

“Don’t play dumb. All of us know that you’ve been harboring secret feelings for your brother.”

“He’s not my brother,” Angela replied.

“I know that. That’s why I asked what are you going to do? You know, Tanis might still see you as his sister. You shouldn’t try anything until you’re sure he can see you differently. He’s still young and it could really mess him up,” Candace warned her.

“I haven’t decided anything, ok. This is still a little much for me to take in,” Angela told her.

“Just be careful, Angela. I don’t want to see you or Tanis get hurt.”

“Why the sudden interest in Tanis? You remember you have a boyfriend, don’t you?” Angela reminded her.

“Look, I never really disliked Tanis. That was the other two. I’ve tried to be his friend. Did I ever think it might be something more one day, perhaps, but I’m not going to go after him, if that’s what you’re thinking,” Candace said.

“Are you two going to come join us or what?” Triston called.

That night, Angela had a weird dream. She was hovering over a forest looking down upon a gathering. It was full of creatures she had never seen in her life and it looked like some sort of ritual. They were chanting something. Then she heard her name.

“Angela, come back to us. Princess, we need you.”

“Who am I?” Angela thought.

“You are the princess. The rightful heir to the throne of Rosewood,” the voices answered. “You must come home to us.”

“How? I don’t know where you are?”

“Let us bring you. Let go of the ties that bind you to that world.”

“I will.”

Angela felt herself being pulled further into the dream world. Then suddenly it stopped. She thought of her friends who she’d miss so much, and of Tanis who needed her. Her body felt like it was being pulled in both directions like the two places were playing tug-of-war with her. Then everything went black.



© 2011 Jack Bridges


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on January 26, 2011
Last Updated on January 26, 2011


Author

Jack Bridges
Jack Bridges

Orangeburg, SC



About
I was born in Mobile Alabama, but I spent most of my life in South Carolina. I graduated from Bamberg Ehrhardt High School in Bamberg South Carolina. I got into writing originally because I wanted t.. more..

Writing
How How

A Poem by Jack Bridges