TULSA

TULSA

A Story by john Robinson
"

1921

"

1921, Tulsa had the wealthiest black neighborhood in the country. On Sundays, women wore satin dresses and diamonds, while men wore silk shirts and gold chains. In Greenwood, writes historian James S. Hirsch,“Teachers lived in brick homes furnished with Louis XIV dining room sets, fine china, and Steinway pianos.”

They called it Black Wall Street.

“They had done everything that they were supposed to do in terms of the American dream,” says Carol Anderson, Professor of African American Studies at Emory University. “You work hard, you save your money, you go to school, you buy property. And this is what they had done under horrific conditions.

(Timeline).


If you look up Tulsa Oklahoma, you will see that it was a state that was bombed by its own government. It had become too powerful, and it was a black city. This couldn't take place in a white-run country. I'm not racist, but if you look to the past, you can sometimes predict the future. Minorities have much more opportunities now, and things look rosier. They aren't. As a magician, it's a trick. We had a black president for eight years, but does this bring a permanent change to race relations, or how law enforcement treats minorities?

If you live in a low-income neighborhood, you will be treated as such. For that matter, if you are a minority, and you are above the norm. You will be subject to scrutiny. The American government, no matter how diverse is there to work for the middle class, and low-income families and individuals are basically considered to be a waste of time. They receive food stamps and social security. The middle class pays for that. The rich aren't burdened with taxes. The government loves the rich, because of the rich produce.

It is for this reason that minorities and low-income individuals are simply not important. The surprise here is that history tells us that even if a minority community becomes successful and prospers. Surpremist want to maintain control will override. Minorities will remain to be profiled, and subject to harsher treatment by law enforcement, and our judicial system. Stigma and stereotypes will control the picture. The importance of this is to realize that America formed its judicial system to work against minorities. If the federal government would bomb one of its own cities, as it did to Tulsa Oklahoma in 1921.


What leads you to believe that aggressive motions against anyone wouldn't be done again. Have we forgotten Waco Texas? No matter what David Koresh was guilty of. The answer was something that cost the lives of women children and innocent people that were brainwashed. It is said that those who forget the past, are destined to repeat it. I would rather not take a political side. Yet if a government shows disparage in how certain citizens are treated. If they assert violence through insightful language without denouncing it, when it is clear and obvious. When the one that holds the highest office in our land is the one in the center of the discussion.


Something must change.




THIS IS YOUR GOVERNMENT...

© 2020 john Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That atrocity that took place in Tulsa is something some historians don't want to talk about. There is evil in the hearts of some that gets passed down through generations and never goes away. You write well.

Posted 3 Years Ago


john Robinson

3 Years Ago

Thank you. I think the times they are a changing
Samuel Dickens

3 Years Ago

I hope so. Of course Dylan wrote those words over fifty years ago.
john Robinson

3 Years Ago

So now it's time

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 1, 2018
Last Updated on June 26, 2020
Tags: riots, tulsa, oklahoma, race, racim, money, government, law enforcement, minorities, rights, business

Author

john Robinson
john Robinson

Jamaica, NY



About
I like being me,but I despise my life. It's the old saying,"if it weren't for bad luck,I would have no luck at all". Then again I did spend twenty one years in Germany after I left the army. I did tou.. more..

Writing