Another day.

Another day.

A Story by john Robinson
"

Just another day

"

ANOTHER DAY.





Today I received a call from a so called,”Mediation” firm. They claimed to be representing a company that sends out magazines. She claimed that the company was about to take me to court for delinquency of payment. She was well spoken,and had a very friendly voice. She wanted me to know that she was on my side,but she wasn't pushing it. She explained that the magazine firm was about to sue me for over,$2100.


She then explained what her firm was all about,and that she was there to prevent the magazine firm from taking me to court. She explained that the magazine firm would settle for about $250. She made a couple of mistakes,and I am always aware of scams,but I must admit that she was really good. I could imagine that she fooled many a individual,especially the elderly. She was delightful,but she wasn't overbearing. It was easy to see how she could win the trust of the one she's calling.


She most likely thought that because of my age,that I would simply fall for it. She did make two big mistakes. The list of magazines that she named were magazines that I would never order. Second,she said the year I ordered the magazines was 2012. I had a computer. No need for more paper. Second she said that the magazine firm booked money from my account twice. I didn't have a bank account in 2012. I let her continue because she was so poised, pleasant and non threatening.


I was simply wondering,how many has she fooled? I was astound at how good she was,but it was the simple things that she stumbled on. Now this woman had all my information,and was calling me on a phone that I only had for three years. I finally ended the conversation by telling her that the magazine firm could do their darnedest. I then googled myself ,and with a little work,found all my information. Also today I had to go to the veterans hospital to see my shrink,have labs done,and get a flu shot. Afterwards I took a walk around what is becoming the New Jamaica avenue.


I say new because it almost looks like gentrification. New stores,restaurants like Chipotle,Boston Market,or Panda express. Add those to the Applebees,and Ihop,and it almost seems like an upper class neighborhood. I say this because I notice the disparage between lower class neighborhoods,and upper class neighborhoods when it comes to food and produce. For example. People in lower class neighborhoods have no palette. Most of the restaurants are awful,or just serve fried foods. You don't have the butcher on the corner,or bakery with fresh bread. The more money you have,the better you live. When I see people eat a Crown fried chicken,or something similar,or at these no name restaurants. Sure there could be a diamond in the ruff,and there often is,but more than not the food is unhealthy. Hard to find vegan food in the hood,but I do know of a couple of places.


Supermarkets in the hood only give you the minimum. They're cash cows so they don't need to cater to the community,they simply have to supply the community with sustenance. Low income neighborhoods are low income neighborhoods,and supermarkets can't supply themselves with products that are too expensive for the community. In my view there is a long line industries,and the federal government to blame for for these differences. Fast food restaurants are affordable for low income individuals. That's why there's  al kind of fast food joiints in my hood. I hate them all.Lets look at how most of these restaurants rank. For example.


I used to love wendys,but the last time I ate there and had a burger and chili. I took two bites and threw it away. It was disgusting. All but one fast food restaurant had a failing grade this year. The only one that passed was,”Shake Shack”. They got an A rating. So in some way we're all being fooled. We're all guinea pigs,and  we all have no palettes. Gordon Ramsey would toss his high class lunch if he saw half the junk that we eat. Then again. This is how we live...



© 2018 john Robinson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

184 Views
Added on November 30, 2018
Last Updated on November 30, 2018
Tags: money, fakes, scammers, hospital, food, neighborhoods, markets, life, income, age

Author

john Robinson
john Robinson

Jamaica, NY



About
I like being me,but I despise my life. It's the old saying,"if it weren't for bad luck,I would have no luck at all". Then again I did spend twenty one years in Germany after I left the army. I did tou.. more..

Writing