Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Taylor

We are considered objects, or at least that’s what I believe we are. Things to be dressed up, and altered to be perfect. Then, we’re put on display to be chosen from. The lucky ones that are picked are showered with luxuries, and become well-dressed, rich objects for their mates. They are given expensive dresses and jewelry, and are expected to be the innocent, quiet women that are completely loyal to their taker. The men are always the same. They have to be at least 18, have a well paying job like a military leader or business worker, attractive, strong, brave, and completely loyal to their bosses. That is, of course, if they aren’t bosses themselves. They are separated at a young age from the ones that have no potential. They are altered and trained to be the perfect leaders. Then, as a reward they get to choose from us. The women.

We, just like the men, are trained from a young age to look up to men as a superior. We are expected to accept the fact that we are just a reward to them. We’re to consider being picked an honor beyond belief. Which, I guess it is. To most people at least, I guess I’m just the odd one out.


Then, that special day comes. The day all of us have waited for since the minute we can understand words: our sixteenth birthday. That’s the day we are eligible for the line up. Then, at the next selection, which is every three weeks, you are added to the list of girls to be chosen from. When that date comes, we dress in our most flattering dress and plaster our face in make-up. Then we stand in a line allowing the men to come down, and chose whom he would like to spend the rest of his life with. It works out for almost everyone. Girls learn to love their mate, and are happy to spend forever with them. But as always I’m not in the group of “almost everyone”.


Do we have a choice? No. However, we do still have some rights. Our mate cannot force us to do anything our of our comfort zone. This process is meant to help people find love, not to objectify anyone. Or at least that’s what the officials say.  See, so many divorces were occurring that they decided they needed to come up with a solution, and this was it.


The men are required to protect us from harm. They are there to make sure we are always safe and loved. This way we will always feel like someone is there. Suicide rates were also going up, and this was that part of the solution.


We are able to take trips and go places without them. We are not sentenced to be by their side at all times unless it involves safety issues.  In that case it is up to the men to decide. We are not pets, we still have freedom.


So while these rights are there for us to not feel like property, we still do not have a choice. I am unlike almost every girl out there. Talk to any of them and they can’t wait for their sixteenth birthday, it’s the most exciting thing to them. Me? I would rather never be with anyone. I don’t find the idea of being on display appealing, and I don’t really care to be chosen by someone. Do I believe in love? Yes, but I don’t think you should have to learn to love someone. You should be able to figure it out on your own. But I don’t have a choice now do I? 



© 2013 Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on June 1, 2013
Last Updated on June 1, 2013


Author

Taylor
Taylor

KY



About
I'm 15, and an upcoming sophomore!! I love writing!!! I'm sure if I've very good at it, but I still love it!! I really hope you enjoy my stories! more..

Writing