Chapter One —The beginning [what else?]

Chapter One —The beginning [what else?]

A Chapter by Taychan
"

The story is based on a dream, thus the title. This is about Clairabelle Carson who has mysterious lost her family including her twin sister Carrie. She continues her searchingI till about four years

"

I arrived home later than I usually would with a throat quite sore. The route I taken was longer than expected, but it helped me clear my mind. Memories of them made it hard to focus all day. Not to forget my good friend, Leiko, ended up dragging me to a karaoke spot, forced me to sing at least three songs and laugh my tail off from the humor all my dependable friends performed. “Use that singing voice more than that overworked inventing mind!” She had said, hyped up on her third mountain dew as the others agreed while one of them attempted to sing. Well, it took one more song to convince my Japanese friends to let me go.

After shutting the door, the bags as well, shoes left by the door. My home looked empty, as it has been for the past few years. The clock sang its small chime six times. A heavy sigh softly echoed the hall. Next time, don’t take the long route home…and definitely don’t run into Leiko after school when in a dreary, muddled attitude.

"Maya, I’m home!" I slowly headed upstairs, heading to my room, the second door on the second floor. Schoolbooks tossed on the bed, as I sat in the spinning chair, staring at the semi-clean desk. Another sigh escaped my lips and roamed the room as the gaze turned to the picture resting on the corner of the desk, evening light bounced off the glass cover. Picking it up, my sad honey eyes watered slightly. The picture was my family who strangely disappeared.

It had happened all to sudden, first Carrie when I was thirteen, then both of my parents a mere three and a half years later. Even with the help of Kogoro Mori, Ran's detective dad, and Shinichi Kudo, high school detective and family friend, no trace found. It was as if they never existed. I have not paused on searching; checking up on them to see if they found anything.

My hope is wilting. The fear is haunting. Am I next?

The horrid thought swept my mind for a few minutes. Placing the picture back, a knock came upon the door, before it opened. Quickly, I pushed the thought aside.

"They called in. I told them to come at about seven this evening." The purple eyed, short tan haired and light-skinned boy looked at me, his flour-covered apron drizzled small white fluff. It was his turn to cook tonight. Ah, yes, just to let everyone know, his name is Maya A.I. (artificial intelligence, fyi).

To put it directly, he is an android made only two years ago. I guess that Dad was upset that I was being, well, emo after my Carrie was gone. Grades all went downhill. For weeks, I would skip school and lock myself in the room to cry for hours or hide under the covers. Soon the inventions were lacking. Life held no meaning without my sis. So, one day, while I was moping in a corner, Dad offered me a challenge (well really he taunted me but details, details) to make an android within a certain allotted amount of time. Naturally, I accepted and began work (Ah, the wonders of a youth’s pride). With some help from Dad and months of lessons and failures, Maya was created. He is more of a brother to me than a creation.

"Claire?"

"Hmm?" A voice pulled out of memory lane. "Yes?"

"Is there anything that you will need before I continue with the dinner?"

"Oh, no. I'll be alright. I’m going to take a shower and clean up the room before they arrive." The timer went off downstairs as he nodded.

"Alright. I will see you...."

"In half an hour." We both nod as he left. Standing up, I head to the closet and grabbed some nightclothes which consist of an orange t-shirt, brown hoodie (both two sizes too big), and black caprice.

Yea, I know. Not the right things to wear when guests are coming over, but hey, these people are family friends. Mr. and Mrs. Cooper would care less of what I would wear when they come over. Besides, most of my ‘good’ nightclothes hadn't finished getting washed and I'm heading to bed right after they leave. They won't mind. Checking the clock, I seized the bubble bath and headed to the restroom.

……….

 

“Claire! It’s been so long since we last seen you!” The woman with bouncing chocolate curly hair and hazel green eyes continued to hug me. For a thin woman of her age, boy, does she have a tight bear hug!

“The last time we came, you were just a squirt! High as my waist, short hair to your neck, and glasses that made your eyes look like an owl’s.” The tall man gave a grin, making his dark eyes shine as he ruffled my bangs while the woman finally stopped the hug, looking me over at arm’s length, gentle hands on my shoulders.

Holding some of my maroon hair that was loose from the elbow long ponytail, Mrs. Cooper sighed. “Speaking of hair, it’s much longer than before….”

      I gave a nervous chuckle as I pushed up my rectangular spectacles closer to my face. Were they always this peppy? “Um, yea…I decided to let my hair grow and changed the glasses. A lot can happen in six years. But it seems like you haven’t changed much.” I joked as I showed them to the living room where the family photos were kept. Sure enough, one of the photos showed the couple with Mom and Dad, looking the same as they did now.

“Guess so,” Mr. Copper said as he sat on the couch with his wife I sat on the chair across from them. “Well, this place is just as western as your mother liked it with many Japanese items like your father liked it.”

I gave a nod in agreement. Being half-American has its advantages though I don’t look like one. I lived in the states since I was little, well up until my sister disappeared. After that, we moved to in Japan. I feel like it’s a good changed, even if it is only Maya and me. This country has more fresh air and a chance to rid myself of the asthma that dwells in me.

Maya came in the living room and offered everyone some drink. Mr. Cooper asked if there was any sake in the hose, despite the constant glares from the green eyes. For a lose-win situation solved, I added that there hasn’t been any type of liquor in the house since we moved. Mrs. Cooper gave a small smile, possibly hiding the smug grin, and suggested tea instead. My android brother was about to leave to prepare the tea. “No, Maya,” I said, stopping him. “I’ll go and do that as we eat. It’s almost time to start, is it not?” He gave a silent nod and excused himself to check the food and make the plates.

“Well, are you going to tell who the boy is,” Mr. Cooper spoke, taking off the hat to reveal blonde hair in a trim cut, Maya far from earshot. “Or do we have to assume that he’s your little live-in-boyfriend?” The question caught me off guard and he knew and gave a mischievous grin as my face revealed a light shade of pink. Immediately, I shook my head.

“N-no! He’s my adopted brother…We had taken him in about two years ago.” I know, I know. Lying to the family friends and yet acting as if I could trust them with anything. Should I not trust them, you might ask. The answer: in all honesty, I cannot.  I mean, yea I do love them as I did as a kid but, trust is something else. That is something you earn. It wavers slightly as you get older, especially when it comes to adults and teenagers. Besides,

Dad made me swear not to tell anyone other than the people of his choice [which was just Uncle Agasa]

And,

I had a weird feeling since they came; it has been nagging my thoughts like an old chatterbox.

 

Mrs. Cooper"Grace (She kept insisting that I call her by her that and her husband Hue.) seemed to accept this as did her partner. However, the look he gave said that he wanted to play at this little weak spot some more. Fortunately, the android brother came in announcing that the food is ready in the dining room. Thank you brother! My mind mentally praised him, even if he can’t hear it. The three of us stood from our seats, followed him a little further down the hall and turned to the left to the dining room that had another door that lead to the kitchen. The room was moderate sized, enough to fit about ten or fifteen people. The table was mahogany colored oak wood, oval shaped so about six people could sit. If it opened up, about four more people could sit in. The plates were steamy, filled with the home made macaroni and four cheese with well cooked broccoli and carrots as well as fluffy white mashed potatoes, caramel brown gravy on top of the white mass like a inverse mountain top. Did I forget this was done by scratch? And yes, the veggies are grown in the backyard, and the noodles are handmade.

“That looks delicious!” Hue stated as he held a seat open for Grace then took his own seat next to her as Maya and I sat on the other side. He’s telling me. Every night when he cooks, the food seems like pros came and made it!

We all settled down and asked if she would say grace (Hehe! Grace saying grace…sorry, got distracted there but I couldn’t help but say it) and we began to eat. Nothing much was said through the first few minutes with the exception of moans of delight then, “Is this Marcelle’s recipe?” Grace looked at the food with thought and some sadness as Maya nodded.

“Yes. This is what I usually make. She taught me how to make this particular one many times until I was able to make it myself.” Now there was total silence.

“Oh,” she finally replied then placed a small bite of food in her mouth and savored it. “There are times I wish we didn’t have the job we have. It just eats up our time and life. And when things happen,” she paused and placed the fork down. “It’s too late to give the right response…”

Now that she mentioned it, why did not they come earlier?  Were they too involved with whatever project that they were doing to care? These questions circled my thoughts as I stood. “I’ll go and prepare the tea. I hope you don’t mind green tea.” With the a-okays from the rest of the table, I went in the kitchen, turned on the tap water to hot then searched through the cabinet to retrieve the kettle, and filled it with the heated tap. Placing it on the stove and putting a tea bag in, I started to get the cups and tray, as well as any other items for the hot beverage. This helped me think on my questions on their sudden visit. Not to forget, Maya will be able to converse on his own.

Reason why I say this is that he really has not been around others to get a better variety of speech. Plus, he shouldn’t be a quiet robot boy all the time. The muffled voices on the other side made me smile just as the whistle bellowed loudly letting its steam free. I turned it off and waited an extra five minutes so I could hold it without burning my hand. The tray was prepared, laid out and taken carefully out to the dining room table as their chat finished. The aroma and warmth filled the room.

“There.” I placed it on the table. “Ah! All toasty warm and ready to drink...” I took my seat as the tea was being poured out.

“Why thank you. It’s just what we needed on a nice cool night….” Grace smiled as she placed around one and half spoons of sugar, her husband about the same, Maya got two and I decided to have it plain.  Once again, we were all quiet. Geez, for a bunch of people who haven’t seen each other for a while, we are such a silent group.

The question nagged at me again. It was time to ask since we all have lost the conversation mood. “Well,” I started, sipping some of the tea, keeping the heated container in cool hands. “The letter you’ve sent was kind of vague. Would you mind telling me why that is as well as why neither of you bothered to make any contact within the last five years?” the glasses get pushed up as another sip was taken. Though I was calm like and polite, I was quite the opposite in my thoughts. The pair of adults showed uneasiness and nervous shuffling was made. They were caught, no way out. Seconds then passed which quickly turned to minutes. I raised an eyebrow, sipping the last of the tea in my cup.

Hue took a deep breath. “To start off, we weren’t notified until about two months ago by that PI, Kogoro Mouri. He called and asked us questions about your parents and sister then told us of the situation. You see, we were at our job working on a project on and off; only about two day breaks for resting at a hotel….the work spot is pretty far from our home and all. Anyway, we then did our best on finishing the project and headed home to pack, and head over here. We had some vacation time stacked up and got the boss to let us take a break for family/friend complications.”

“Excuse me…” Grace finally spoke up as she looked at her cup then held her purse that was on her lap. The woman’s skin was a pale china plate. “I need the restroom.” Maya quickly stood and assisted her to the upstairs restroom.  Hue and I were left in the dining room.

“That’s it?” I asked, not entirely wanting to believe what he said.

He nodded solemnly. “Yes. And I know that you may not trust that but that’s what happened. I wish it was different.” His face, filled with sadness and some…regret?

“But how did Mr. Mori hadn’t been able to contact you earlier by cell or address?”

“He scratched the top of his hair. “Well we had moved at least twice we last met as well as employers which means different phones.”

I was quiet, staring at the refilled cup of tea, the warmth greeting my hands once again. The dim lighting reflected from my glasses, some rustling could be heard from upstairs with some running water sounds. “Okay….” I finally said. “I believe you…” The man gave a relieved look and slowly began to use about ten minutes to talk about life. What he and his wife do for a living [which it is just what my parents did but in America and not here in Japan], the travels and my life: how I continued since then, what I liked in Japan, and other miscellaneous things.

“Um, is Grace ill?” I asked. She had been gone for a bit too long. I mean, it takes about less than three minutes to give a tour on the second floor of the house. The first floor contains a living room dining room and kitchen. When on the second, there is the restroom and four bed rooms: the nursery [changed to the project room…locked for obvious reasons], mine, Maya’s [once was Carrie’s], and the parent’s room.

“Possibly. Her stomach hasn’t been agreeing with most things foods and drinks lately. And it’s that time of the month.”

“Ah…We should check up on her. I have some iron caplets and aspirin in the kitchen’s first aide. I forgot to put the spares in the restroom.”

“That would make me feel alright if we check up Grace.” He said standing up, putting a hand through his hair. Giving a nod, I stood as well to get the two pill bottles for the most likely sick woman upstairs.

“Follow me…” We headed up the stairs with little to no chatter as we reached the second story, passing the three bedrooms to the restroom on the left side of the hall. The light was still on and Maya was nowhere in sight. Strange. I knocked on the door. “Grace, I brought some aspirin and iron pills….”

No response was given. “Grace??” I said a little louder knocking on the door again. Still, no response. I turned to Hue. “Is she like this when she is ill…?”

The man shook his head. “No she isn’t…and where’s that brother of yours?” he looked around to try and spot Maya somewhere in the hall.

“That’s what I want to know. It’s too quiet up here….” I looked at the door with the light from inside shining out on the boarders of the frame. Placing a hand on the doorknob, I turned it. It was oddly unlocked. “Grace….” I opened the door to see that Maya was in the tub, eyes closed. “Maya!” I rushed to him and leaned him forward. There was a burn mark on the back of his neck. “Hue? Grace isn’t in here…Maya is…somebody tazed him.”

“Clarabelle, I think you need to see this…” was the reply. I turned around to see him not at the door. I laid Maya back down, then went out of the room and saw him standing in front of the project room. The door was unlocked, broken into. Immediately, my face began to pale. The inside of the room, messed up. Projects and future plans, scattered all over the place. The shelves were missing three of the project prototypes and the window above the desk, open.



© 2011 Taychan


Author's Note

Taychan
Author’s tip1: This involves Detective Conan [Case Closed in almost everywhere other than Japan]. This is all inspired by a glorious thee week dream that followed me for days and nights [Ah, the wonders of the raining season mixed with fall….]

Author’s tip2: The writing in quotes and italics will be in the English language so to separate ease up the confusion if there is any. ^^

Author's Tip 3: I would like to make sure you know that this was made on my second year in high school up to my fourth. I have only now revived and edited some, so I have no idea as of problems that I may have missed. Please tell me where they may be so I may fix it as of any part that might confuse you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on May 20, 2011
Last Updated on May 20, 2011


Author

Taychan
Taychan

Bakersfield, CA



About
There is not much to know about me. I am a second year in college, i and still practicing on my writings. Though I am just starting to like it, I she still have problems as to making it reason able, .. more..

Writing
Prolouge Prolouge

A Chapter by Taychan