Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Taylor Benton

                                                                 CHAPTER ONE

 

My daily routine of the day is usually to wake up after a long back-aching afternoon of moving sofas and fridges, check Facebook like it’s the news and receiving 500 messages from my mother asking if I’m doing okay and I tell her the same thing each time… “I’m fine.” Decide whether or not I use my own frappe machine or suck it up and go get my favorite White Chocolate Crème Frappuccino from Starbucks in which I usually end up choosing my own machine only to not face the wrath of my fiancé, Adam. He’s a stock broker and let’s just say, he IS his job. The next thing is shower and on occasion sex in the shower, pin my hair up in the usual bun I can never do without and  The last things I do before jetting off to another day of Interior Decorating for a bridezilla on the upper east side of New York, is squeeze in an episode of Live! With Kelly & Michael (Oh! How We Miss Regis!) And then see my adorable and hunky fiancé slip off to work 10 minutes before I have to leave. I still remember the day I met him. It was at a club in Atlanta, Georgia. I was in my sophomore year of College at the Art Institutes living off of Ramen noodles and local channels so Soap Operas and The Price is Right became my favorite things to watch which made me feel like I was already 60. My friend, at the time, Brenda, who was like the Mindy Kaling of the early 2000’s, introduced us after becoming so pissed off at the fact that she couldn’t find a mate, she sarcastically grabbed a random guy from a group of men playing pool and pushed us together to slow dance to the ONLY slow song that played that night at the club, Hero by Enrique Iglesias. He claims that is our song but I refuse to have a song as cliché as HERO to be our song. So when I tell our story to people I lie and say it was This I Promise You by N*sync and I’m in the works of convincing him to make that our first dance song as well. I was very intimidated by his looks when I first laid eyes on him. He was far more attractive than me and I hated being one of those women who people wonder “How did SHE get HIM?” He resembled Joe Manganello. Broad Shoulders, Tanned skin, dark hair, and that five o’ clock shadow. He’s from Brooklyn so he already has the accent down. I’m from Georgia so I had the southern twang to my voice which he loved to make fun of in the first weeks of our relationship. We ended up breaking up after dating for 6 months because he was a senior and was moving back to Brooklyn.  I ended up moving to New York three years later after graduating because of the interior decorator job openings. We bumped into each other at a comic book convention a week or two after I had moved to New York. Comic books were always the one thing that Adam and I had in common. We always fought over which was the best. Me, being the superman fan that I am, claimed that those were the  best comic books. Adam always went the X-Men route. He was at the convention with a woman and I instantly felt a small stab into my heart. It’s not like we broke up on bad terms, you know? So It definitely hurt and I was never really over him. “Hey Anne, what are you doing in New York?” Adam seemed surprised I was there even though I told him over and over again that I’d most likely move to New York as soon as I graduate. “I just moved here! I got a job working for Samantha Brenton.” “Ahh. The interior decorator. Nice!” I smiled. He didn’t have to say much to get me to completely fall head over heels in love with him again. The wave of awkwardness overcame the conversation when I looked at the woman he was with and he just stood there looking back and forth at us. “Oh! Sorry. For not introducing! Anne, this is Vanessa Kane and Vanessa, this is Anne Taylor.” Her face went from I’m bored to OHH! I KNOW YOU! She leaned in to shake my hand and to my surprise said, “So THIS is the wonderful Anne Taylor you’re always telling me about.” I was shocked and confused all in one. “Always?” I asked. Did he really talk about me all the time and to his new girlfriend at that? “Not always.” He was nervous. I could tell. He always rubbed the back of his neck when he was nervous. “He tells his big sister everything!” Big sister! I can’t tell you how big of a relief I felt when those words came out of her mouth.  “Well, Anne, it was great seeing you! Uhm. Do you have the same cell number?” “Yep!” “I’ll give you a call sometime.”

He called me that night as I laid in bed. We talked for hours and hours and he asked me about my life since he left and then he asked me to meet him for coffee the next morning and the rest was history. We were at his parent’s house for Christmas when he asked me to marry him. Which was just this past December. We’re planning for a June wedding when its summer and the beaches are at their best because we plan to get married in Hawaii and honeymoon there as well. 



© 2013 Taylor Benton


Author's Note

Taylor Benton
if their are grammar problems, my bad.. XD lol

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on July 11, 2013
Last Updated on July 11, 2013


Author

Taylor Benton
Taylor Benton

Claxton, GA



About
I'm like the meg Ryan character in "you've got mail" and if you know me and know that movie, you might agree. im always wanting to be known or acknowledged and..I find myself never living up to my ver.. more..

Writing