Pan's Dream

Pan's Dream

A Story by techeclectic
"

A traveler in the woods is weary. He comes across a moss-covered cabin, and is greeted by its inhabitant - a Satyr named Pan. A story of magic, mystery and tragedy.

"

As the sun set, Morpheus was walking down a winding path in the forest. He had been traveling since dawn, and his eyes were eagerly searching for a place where he could camp when he saw the moss-covered cabin tucked away in the trees.


As Morpheus approached, he noticed a strange creature standing outside. It had the legs of a goat and the upper body of a man. Its eyes were piercing green, and its horns curved elegantly behind its ears. The traveler froze, unsure of what he was seeing.


The creature stepped forward and introduced himself as Pan. It was a name that Morpheus was familiar with - the legendary pan flute maestro whose impassioned skills were inspired by heartbreak.

When Pan spoke, his voice seemed fragile in its beauty, yet powerful in its depth. “Welcome traveler. You look weary; you are welcome to stay as my guest. This is a safe place, and your company would be welcome here tonight.”


Morpheus was hesitant at first, but something about Pan’s voice lulled him to agree. Sinking into a cushioned chair surrounded by the warmth of a fire, he felt the aches and pains from the road begin to melt away. Pan treated him to a hearty meal and poured wine freely. Then, he pulled out the pan flute.

Morpheus braced himself for a tear-jerking melody, but what he heard surprised him. The music was uplifting. Morpheus had never felt so alive. He laughed and danced with Pan, feeling carefree and unburdened.


Morpheus couldn’t pair the jovial man in front of him with the Pan of legend. His curiosity got the best of him, and he asked “Is it true what the legends say? That your amazing music talent is the result of a tragedy?"


The music stopped. The happiness on Pan’s face ebbed, and for the first time that night, he looked somber. “Yes.” He said, before pausing. “I spent my life convincing myself that nobody could ever love a monster like me, and so I resolved never to fall in love. Then I met Sirenx. For the first time in my life, I felt special to somebody. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what to say. I knew she felt the same way, but neither of us said the words. Then one day, she was gone; I never told her how I felt.”


“That’s sad. So, why is your music so cheerful?" Morpheus asked.


“When I play music, I can almost feel Sirenx beside me. So, I let my music speak, and I tell her what I should have said long before - I play music that tells her how much I love her. What you hear is the happiness of that love”, Pan explained.


As Morpheus pondered Pan’s romantic outlook, he felt the warmth of the wine and fire beckoning his eyelids shut. As he drifted off to sleep, his last waking emotion was the happiness of Pan’s melody.


*  *  *


Morpheus’ eyes fluttered open, and he was momentarily disoriented as he looked around at his surroundings. He lay on a soft patch of moss in a misty forest. It was night, and the air was cold and damp. Strangely, Morpheus could still hear Pan’s music playing, though now the sound was further away.


As he sat up, he realized that he was not alone. A group of fairies flitted about, their delicate wings beating furiously as they darted between trees and flowers. They seemed to observe him with a mixture of curiosity and caution. He could feel their energy pulsing around him, filling him with a sense of wonder.


Morpheus was dizzy by the surrealness of it all. He noticed a path winding through the forest. It was a narrow trail, barely visible in the mist, that led to a source of light in the distance. Without thinking, he started walking down the path, drawn toward the light like a moth to a flame. As he got closer, the mist thinned, and Pan’s music grew louder.


As he closed in on the light, he caught glimpses of an illuminated grove. It was a circular clearing covered with trees and roses. The air was filled with the sweet scent of the blooming flowers. The light that filled the clearing was warm and golden, like the sun at dawn.


Stepping into the grove, Morpheus felt awe wash over him. In the center of the clearing was a large, ancient tree, its trunk thick and gnarled, its branches reaching to the sky like outstretched arms. The air around the tree hummed with energy, and he could feel peace and serenity settling over him.


A beautiful nymph was perched high above, her lithe body draped gracefully over a thick tree branch. She was surrounded by lush foliage, and her long hair cascaded down her back in wavy locks. Her skin was the color of moonlight, and her eyes shone like stars in the night sky. She looked eerily familiar to Morpheus, like an old friend, but he couldn’t place how he knew her.


Her head tilted thoughtfully, as though she were listening to something. She looked at Morpheus, then nodded. When she spoke her voice was soft, like a whisper delivered by the wind. “I got your message. It’s time to wake up, Pan. There’s something I need to tell you.”


*  *  *


Pan woke up suddenly. He rubbed his eyes, trying to shake off the remnants of sleep, and looked around. That's when he noticed the chair across from him was empty.


He got up and walked over to the chair. There was no indentation in the cushion, no trace of clothing or hair. He furrowed his brow, wondering where his guest had disappeared to. Morpheus had fallen asleep in that chair. But now, there was no sign of him. It was as though the strange dream Pan just had was real, and his guest had taken a midnight walk in an enchanted forest.


All that remained of the previous night was a folded piece of paper sitting neatly next to his flute.  As Pan reached for it, he smelled the sweet scent of roses. His heart skipped a beat as he picked up the note. His hands trembled as he unfolded it, revealing the delicate, feminine handwriting he knew so well. He stared at it, his eyes tracing each letter with disbelief and wonder.


It had been years since he last saw those familiar strokes. However, they were as fresh in his mind as if they had been written yesterday. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, trying to steady himself.


Uplifting music began to play in his mind.  As he opened his eyes, he read the words again, his lips mouthing them silently.


"I love you too."

© 2023 techeclectic


Author's Note

techeclectic
I am very open to receiving constructive criticism and advice to make this piece, and my general writing, better

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on March 26, 2023
Last Updated on March 26, 2023
Tags: fantasy, mythology, tragedy, romance, magic, dreams, flash fiction

Author

techeclectic
techeclectic

ME



About
I am a 40 year old software engineer who enjoys creative writing. more..

Writing