Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by David Perkins

Chapter Ten


F�"ngfù System (rich)

Planet IV �" Nóngtián (Farmland)

Former Wan Ren Territory





The flight back to the battle ship was rough and filled with unexpected thoughts.  Xun found himself deeply troubled by the deaths of the young couple at the city.  He had been brought up in a traditional Wan-Ren fashion, family meditations, weekly ceremonies and nightly offerings to speak with those no longer with him.  His father had taught him the importance and value of the martial arts, and how to make it a part of his daily meditations.  Xuns mother, thoughts of her hurt the most. Taught him of compassion and love for the Universe and all things in it.  She taught him of the Universes greater purpose.

When they were killed by the plague he was still a child.  His uncles family had taken him in, they were of a more modern mentality with strong political and nationalist ties.  The talk at dinners would typically include conspiracy theories, demagoguery and anti Earth rhetoric, and occasionally, an apology to Xun for the loss of his of family.  His uncles words began to play back in his mind again as the drop ship breached the planets orbit.

In all fairness, he was angry too.  His family was gone and he didn’t really know why.  No one did.  The origins of the plague to this very day remained a mystery.  But that did not stop his government from seeking vengeance on those they felt responsible for the thing that very nearly erased his nation from existence.  After all, what else could they do?  The plague killed more than two thirds of his entire civilization.  At first only a few rogue ‘resistance’ groups began attacking the so called relief efforts the CSA had sent.  Eventually, though, that dragged the rest of his people in to all out war.  But between the plague and an all out assault by CSA forces, the Wan Ren were forced to retreat as their numbers fell rapidly.

Xun felt a surge of rage overpower his guilt, but the rage was quickly replaced with shame as he again thought of his mother.  What would she think of his life now?  Resorting to petty vengeance on a people who may very well have had nothing at all to do with the struggles of his people.  The drop ship rocked and slammed against something as it began its docking procedure and he suddenly found himself back in his harness.  He examined the cabin, looking over his troops as they chatted among themselves with an almost joyous tone.  After all, it had been a decisive victory.


As soon as the ships doors opened he made his way to the command deck for debriefing.  He already knew what his superiors would say.  Why had he let the prisoners go?  His orders were to leave no survivors.  Truthfully, he didn’t know why.  His actions would have repercussions.

The room he was waiting in was little more than an empty storage room with a secretary and a desk in front of an innocuous door.  Behind that door, however, could be some serious trouble.  The secretary turned to Xun and announced that they were ready for him.  Xun stood and the door slid open.

The room inside was only slightly less spartan than the waiting room.  A large desk filled that back of the room.  In front of his were a few chairs; each occupied by one of his superior officer, behind the desk, the Marshal General.  None seemed to notice him entering the room as the three in chairs were shouting at each other as one stood hurled accusations at another with a violent finger.  The Marshal General finally noticed Xun and spoke.

“Captain Ren,” he said standing from his massive chair behind the desk.

Xun snapped to attention as the other three turned.  The two officers still seated stood casually and acknowledged Xun.

“Please, come in,” The Marshal General said with far more calm than the others were displaying.

The first officer, Commander Xiao, spoke as Xun moved further in to the room.  He was a stoic looking man, perhaps twice Xun’s age.  An aura of dignity emanated from him as he spoke with calm and grace.

“Captain Ren.  Welcome back.  As always, you have led a top notch assault.  Your people thank you.”

Xun bowed with gratitude, but said nothing.

The woman next to Xiao, Commander YaeWon Jung, nodded in agreement as she retook her seat.

“Yes yes, you did very well, as expected.  I look forward to reading your report,” she added.

Xun remained silent as the third officer interrupted.

“Enough of this! Captain Ren, you disobeyed your orders and have jeopardized our mission.  Explain yourself!  Why did you not eliminate the enemy?”

Commander Hiramoto had a reputation as a zealot for protocol.  He also had a bit of a personal issue with Xun’s uncle, as they were once former political rivals.

“No,” he continued. “No, instead you spared several dozen and even gave them safe passage off world!”  Hiramoto was fuming. Xun broke his rigid attention and turned to face his accuser.

“Sir, I felt their survival might benefit our cause.”  His own words shocked him.  He hadn’t planned to say that.  His nerves began ti falter as his brain went in to a panic as he tried to think of a logical way to justify what he had just said.

“Explain,” the Marshal General said.

The room fell silent as all eyes fell on Xun.

“Sir.  Those inhabitants bore witness to a civilization thought o be erased from existence nearly two decades ago rain death and destruction upon them with out any warning.  We decimated their cities, and we showed them mercy.” He paused.  “They will spread fear to all those they encounter, a nation of ghosts and demons wreaking havoc with out warning.  Perhaps they will do our jobs for us and cause people to flea with out any fight at all.”

Commander Hiramoto’s face was twisted in confusion and disgust at Xun’s response, but the Marshal General intrigued.  The other two commanders seemed completely caught off guard by his rationale but still managed to nod in understanding.   The Marshal general stepped out from behind his desk and walked around to the front of it where the others stood.  He regarded Xun carefully before speaking.

“And if the ears they whisper our deeds to belong to those whom seek our destruction?” he asked.

“I have faith in our people.  Faith in my comrades, and I have faith in our leaders.  We will prevail.  Our ancestors will be honored.”  Xun said, finally finding confidence in his words.

The other three officers grew more satisfied with his statements, even Hiramoto, who finally nodded in agreement even though his face remained as harsh as before.  The Marshal General looked to them all, then back to Xun and nodded as well.

“I agree with your thoughts.  We will allow one survivor from each of the next assaults.  To spread our message.” He said as he began walking back to his seat. “But Captain Xun, please do not again diverge from our directive.” It sounded more a threat than a request. “I would hate to have to discipline one of our best officers.”

“Sir.” Xun snapped to attention, spun on his heels and began to leave. He could heard them begin discussing the next assault as the door slid shut behind him.



Xun’s mind raced.  Again the sickening feeling was creeping back in to his gut.  He needed to think, needed advice, and needed to be alone for a while so he headed towards his private quarters.  As far as staterooms went, Xun Ren’s was quite humble.  He was raised to take only what was needed and to be satisfied with what he had.  Desire, after all, was the great weakness of the earth they left behind so many centuries ago.  

Xun was still dressed him his combat under suit.  He began to remove it, tossing each section on to his bed.  Wearing nothing but his underwear he slid open a dividing door on side of his room.  It was a small room.  There was no light inside except for the soft spill from the rest of his dimly lit stateroom.  As he stood in the doorway his dark shadow covered a small alter set against the bulkhead.

Xun paused for a moment.  A statue stood in his shadow, alone on the alter, and he couldn’t help but feel an odd connection to it as he too felt blocked from the light of his ancestors.  He knelt down, taking a small match from a jar and began to light several candles surrounding the shrine.  Once lit, he pulled a single stick of incense from a second jar.  As he lit it, he bowed his head and whispered a prayer, then placed it on the statue.  Xun sat back on his heels and began to listen.

As they had done since he was a child, meditating for the very first time, his thoughts assaulted him.  Visions of the day’s battle, of all those killed, those that he had killed, passed through his minds eye.  The faces of the two lovers who tried to run, the ambiguous figures ripped apart by the pre assault defenses.  Eventually though, the thoughts began to silence, and he began to hear the universe around him.

The scent of the incense began piercing his nose as a haze slowly filled the small room.  The silence, as they often said, was deafening.  He could feel his breath resonating though his chest as his heart forced blood through his veins.  The pulse began to echo in his ears; thump thump, thump thump.  The pulse began to form a rhythm like a sonar sending out a single, radiating from his soul to the universe around him.  Reaching, searching, trying desperately to find a connection.  His eyes fixated on the atler before him but he wasn’t looking at it. No, he was looking through it.  Through the cold steel bulkhead behind it, through the confines of the battleship around him.  His eyes were focused on the stars beyond.  He could see them sparkle, see them pulse, and slowly, his rhythm became theirs.

His mind and body was one with the Universe.  His breath s gentle wave and his heart a drum calling to this ancestors.  His mind listened.

Suddenly a chime sounded, and like a house of cards too close to someone’s heavy and uncontrolled breathing the stars fell from his mind.  His eyes burst wide open as he came back to the present and let out a heavy sigh.  He stood up and moved to answer the door, grabbing a robe to cover himself as he did.  It was Hiro.

“Sir.” I hope I am not disturbing you,” Hiro said with formality.  

Xun and Hiro had been friends since childhood but Hiro was one rank below Xun and so showed the level of respect expected from him.  Xun waved his hand in dismissal, letting Hiro know he could be candid.

“Please, come in.” Xun said.

Hiro entered the room, the smell of incense immediately drawing his attention to the alter room.

“Oh, I am sorry.  I did not realize-“

Xun interrupted.

“It is fine, my brother.  I fear my ancestors do not wish to speak with me today.” Xun motioned him towards the sofa.  “May I offer you some tea?”

“Yes, please.” Hiro said taking a seat.  “Why do they not wish to speak with you?” he asked.

Hiro was not as close to the old ways as Xun, but he had great respect for those who did, and as Xun’s friend he was concerned about him.

“I do not know.  I can only listen and hope to understand.” Xun said appearing from behind the kitchen bar with two cups of tea.  He handed one to Hiro as he sat in a chair across from him.

“But,” he said. “I fear my action actions of late displease them.”

Hiro took a sip of his tea.

“Xun, I am worried.”

Xun took a sip of his own tea before answering.

“About?” he said.

“About you.”

“What about me, exactly?” Xun asked with puzzlement.

“I saw you in combat today.  You were… absent.” Hiro said cautiously.

Xun nodded to him assuredly.  He hoped that Hiro always felt comfortable being honest with him and took great strides to ensure this.

“Yes.” He admitted. “My thoughts have been heavy lately.” He took another long sip of his tea.

“Can I help you at all friend?  We are bother, are we not?  We can speak freely to one another.”

“Yes, yes we are.” Xun leaned back in his seat and released a heavy sigh. “Tell me, Hiro, how many systems have we reclaimed now?”

Hiro thought about this for a moment

“I believe it is seven now.  Today completing the sector.  A great victory, it was.”

“Yes, but I am concerned.” Xun said.

“Concerned of what?  What troubles you?”

“I am afraid that with each battle, with each victory, we lose more and more of what once made us a great nation.  What once made us the Chosen Ones.   I am afraid we are losing ourselves.”

Hiro looked at Xun with confusion.  Xun stood up and headed for the kitchen to pour himself another cup of tea.  He took a long sip from a fresh drink and sighed.

“Hero, our people left earth all these centuries ago to separate themselves from the constant war and petty fighting between the great nations of humanity.  We left to preserve our people, to save them from the corruptions the impure.   They saught a better life for us all.  And after nearly four hundred years searching for a new home, and after so many more rebuilding our civilization, is this to become our legacy?  Slaughtering women and children with out care as we rebuild once again?  Only this time instead of peace and prosperity for all, the corner stone of our society will be made of blood and destruction?”

Xun was getting angry now.  He slammed his glass down on the counter in front of him and stared at the spill it caused.

Hiro stood up and walked towards him.

“My friend.  Is our kind not one also of loyality?  Of martial obedience?”  Do you not feel the anguish of your lost relatives?  We have been wrong.  Our lands stolen from us, our civilization brought to its knees.  You should understand this more than anyone.” Hiro said. “And now, now that we’ve found a cure, and have regained our ability to seek justice against those who have wronged us.  Now we can reclaim our heritage.  We can be great once again, Xun.”  His speech was all but a plea for sanity.

“Would they have wanted revenge?” Xun replied.  “If they could exact vengeance, would they?”

Hiro chose his next words carefully.

“We have our orders, Xun.  To disobey is treason.  What would your ancestors say about that?”

Xun saw sympathy in Hiro’s eyes.  He nodded.  Hiro set his glass down and placed a hand on Xun’s shoulder.

“We are one people, friend.  We are the Chosen.  Remember that.”  Then left.




© 2016 David Perkins


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on October 25, 2016
Last Updated on October 25, 2016


Author

David Perkins
David Perkins

Brooklyn, NY



About
28 years old living in NYC. I have a BFA in photographer, but the photo industry is s**t so I thought I would try to write a novel. I enjoy hiking, bouldering, playing bagpipes, taking photos, and .. more..

Writing
Animus Animus

A Book by David Perkins