Forever Running

Forever Running

A Chapter by the_tubby1
"

Introduction to the story and the character. setting the scene for what is to come and the state of the world.

"

Chapter 1 - forever Running


I remember listening to people constantly worrying about things that no longer matter, wanting for nothing, getting a good night sleep. I don’t remember when all that disappeared; it’s been too long.

Tightening my worn brown boot laces, I watched as the sun revealed the dust settling through the blinds. This was another day I had to survive the horrors that followed me physically and mentally. Friends and family had died in front of me as I watched helplessly. Torn apart limb from limb when all I could do was run. The screaming never stops and it’s loudest in the quietest of rooms. Maybe that’s why I like shooting things so much. The temporary ringing that pierces my eardrums is the only moment of peace I get. I never stay in one place more than I need to since the longer I stay, the lower my chances of surviving are. I’m forever running in a direction with no end and I can’t stop. I still don’t know the purpose of why I’d bothered to stay alive for so long. Instinct I guess. Nobody wants to die but when you’ve been through what I have, you’d be happy to welcome death whenever it may hit you. Sleepless nights, tinned food and cold blankets are what I consider luxuries; I carry what I need and nothing more. A Colt .45 at my side helps me to feel safer, knowing I have power over what may try to attack me whether it’s human or... one of them.

I checked my watch. 6:10. I was falling behind reminiscing about what used to be. But I hadn’t had a good memory in months, maybe years. I don’t tend to keep track of the days anymore, just take them one at a time. The fire smoked from the ashes of last night’s heat. I pulled my axe from the floorboard next to the old rickety bed I’d slept in and threw my backpack on. My white, blood stained T-shirt and jeans rested loosely on my decrepit body and I pulled away the wardrobe from the door. I’d used is as a barricade in case any unwanted visitors stopped by uninvited. I tried to pick the best house I could find that wasn’t surrounded by corpses or buildings other people may want to investigate. Not that other people were a common occurrence, I’d only ever seen one or two since everything went to hell. Crazies if you ask me, looking for scrap in a world made of it. Trying to help others or seek help themselves; too trusting. That’s how people get killed.

I avoided the cities but sometimes had to scavenge the outskirts for things I couldn’t get in small towns. Imagine the number of people in a big city, and then imagine every single one of them wanting to eat you. Cities are much too urban and too dangerous, if I had to go around, that’s what I did even if it took me days longer than if I went through it. Maybe I’m just paranoid. I’m still kicking though aren’t I?



© 2017 the_tubby1


Author's Note

the_tubby1
let me know of any grammar issues or structure/story bits that don't make sense. If something confuses you, let me know. Also let me know if you enjoy it and want to see more, maybe it will give the motivation to keep on writing this one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on March 3, 2017
Last Updated on March 3, 2017
Tags: zombie, outbreak, survival, adventure, action, horror, fiction, fantasy


Author

the_tubby1
the_tubby1

Hereford, Herefordshire, United Kingdom



About
Well, obviously I like to write. I prefer a story with zombies or a survival aspect. I occasionally like to write the odd Fantasy medieval story but I never do anything with it all. I also like to ska.. more..

Writing